Occupational therapy

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Occupational therapy

Postby Scarlett » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:00 pm

Hello can anyone here tell me what occupational therapy is like? I've been referred for it (although the waiting list is 6 months I think)
Scarlett

Re: Occupational therapy

Postby Paddington » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Its quite fun as I seem to remember. Although it does seem quite strange. Mine was a lot of working on blackboards and sheets with pen and paper . Also bean bags toys. Its is really weird but lovely to see the changes, after a year or so the pain if my writing went from, i would rather saw of my own leg than this to i would rather saw of my own foot than this.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas Edison ( dyspraxic entrepreneur)
Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”
Paddington
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:01 pm

I haven't had occupational therapy for years but, after I was first diagnosed with dyspraxia at the age of six, I had weekly sessions of it in school for 18 months. I used to have to bury plastic figures in plasticine and then find them again to improve my fine motor skills. I also had to throw beanbags into a bucket. I did have a couple of sessions as a teenager but they were more to do with practicalities of adult life such as cooking and cleaning. I was asked a lot of questions about how I coped with my periods and with personal grooming which I found embarrassing but that part was over quite quickly.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby lalacurf121 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:51 am

Thanks for the info
holiday palace
lalacurf121
Super Poster

Postby mymadlife » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Its good fun but a bit strange, as I have motor skills dispraxia I had to do exercises with this putty, I had the second weakest putty as my hands are not that strong but if your hands are stronger you get to use a stronger putty. I also had to do lots of activities like screwing a bolt, and putting pegs into to a hole as quickly as possible. I hope this helped! :lol: :mrgreen:
mymadlife

Postby Trythistwo » Wed May 17, 2017 4:51 am

i agreed

sbobet
Trythistwo

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat