Dyspraxia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby angie » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:10 pm

My son has mild dipraxia. I am trying to deal with his explosive temper which coms out of the blue and for no apparent reason (to me) I find it very difficult to know what to do and how to calm him. It actually started last year just before the summer holidays to such an extent that he had me in tears most days, this calmed down after a period of about three weeks following therapy. It has been fine and in control ever since but now the last week he is showing all the signs again we are coming up to the six weeks holiday again and out of the blue its back with a vengence! He argues with me over silly things and acts like a two year old having a tantrum. I organise something nice and he seems to play me up worse so that i have no choice but to cancel what i had planned. Ive tried a chart with bonus's if he's good or gets so many stars, ive tried changing the diet with no fizzy drinks I read the labels to make sure he hasnt too many additives, i get him to take a fish supplement with omega oils in every day but nothing is working. He wont have a cuddle with me and pushes me away and cries at least ten times a day! please can any body help?
angie

Postby k9ruby » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:19 pm

U POOR THINGS! :(
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Helen » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:31 pm

Hello Angie,
Welcome to Matt's message board.
It seems you are doing all the right things to help your son. I think it is time to seek professional advice. Who gave the original diagnosis of mild dyspraxia? Is it possible for you to arrange a consultation with them. If not go through your GP and ask for a referral to whichever service they feel is most appropriate, either occupatioanl therapy or a child psychologist. The important thing is to find out what is causing your son to display this troubled behaviour. Dyspraxia can be associated with many other conditions and the symptoms often over lap, so it may be that it is not just dyspraxia which is causing the problems.
How old is your son? Does he display similar behaviour while he is there and have the school taken any steps to support him. It seems from what you say that your son reacts in this way when he is excited and looking forward to something, so the end of term coming has set him off. The buzz/excitement around schools at this time of year and the changes which will be coming next school year such as a new teacher, may be too much for him to cope with.
It is difficult through this board to give complete advice, but as I say, I think your GP is the place to start. Just tell him/her just what you have posted here and do not be fobbed off...only leave when you have assurance of a referral.
I wish you all the very best.
Keep in touch,
Helen
This we know the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby Guest_Charlotte » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:35 pm

Hello Angie, I am sixteen and, like your son, I have mild dyspraxia.

For me, writing things down seemed to help when I was stressed/anxious/upset/angry/frustrated. You could encourage him to keep a diary, sometimes writing is a good way to get all your anger and frustration out. Something else you could suggest is a stress ball or something soft to punch whenver he's angry and exercise can also be good.

Encourage him to count to ten and walk away from situations rather than lashing out.

I hope this helps you,

Charlotte x
Guest_Charlotte

Postby Cheryl » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:46 pm

HI Angie

Sorry to hear about your son's problems! :( Have you tried your local health visitor? I contacted mine a few weeks ago when I was in despair and she was brill!!
Like Helen says - you need to go through your GP - but the health visitor is there in the meantime when you feel like tearing your hair out!!! :blink:

Coming in here helps a lot too!! :) Everybody is so supportive!! :D

Keep your chin up

love Cheryl
xo
Cheryl

Postby k9ruby » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:10 pm

For me, writing the persons name out in a peice of paper and writing swear-words around it then screwing it up stuffing it in the bin helps 4 me!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat