If You Had A Choice, Would You Be Born Dyspraxic?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby slinky_malinki » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:43 pm

Some people have been quite cruel when I told them, but that was just because they didn't understand. They had never heard of the word 'dyspraxia' before and they wanted to cover up their uncertainty by overconfident bluster. I once prepared a short What does it mean to be dyspraxic? leaflet that I carry with me if I am going to a place where severe difficulties might arise. I am much better with the written word than I am with face-to-face communication, so this strategy really works for me.

Some idiots keep on being cruel even when they know. But if I worried about all the twits in the world, I wouldn't have any time left!

More positively, lots of people are extremely helpful, perceptive, and kind when they learn that I have dyspraxia. Don't be afraid to be open, honest, and proud of your differences. We can't change the way people look at us if we're too frightened to open our mouths on the topic.
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:49 pm

GO VICKY! :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:50 am

Thank you, Ruby. :P
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:40 pm

Lol! B)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby SomeT1 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:01 pm

To be honest i' d just rather wish i'd never fount out about dyspraxia and that I had it still.
SomeT1
Advanced Member

Postby Philip » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:59 pm

I am unsure there are so many questions... with some many answers which cannot be completed.

If I could back in time and did not have dyspraxia would I wanted to go down the same path... like I am hoping I can back on too.

Even if I was not born with dyspraxia if one of my work colleagues, my friend, family etc had dyspraxia. I would try to be supportive and understanding - and try to so he/she could be successfully if they wanted it.

I agree that some people are cruel about dyspraxia - some people do not want to know what it is. some people in the past who I worked/looking for work try to understand what it is. Some people sweep it under the rug as there are sometimes to embrass to asked what is dyspraxia
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:31 pm

[QUOTE]k9ruby
do u no why?

-cus it makes unique
-i wouldn't of met all of u lot!!!
-it has made me 1 determind person!

maybe if they could get rid of the bad bits like people bullying us or calling us 'freaks'!

any1 agree here?

I totally agree Ruby!!

Shanna

"I've learned to never underestimate the impossible."
-Joe Nichols
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby slinky_malinki » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:07 pm

The poll is deadlocked! 50-50!

Which view is more prevalent?!
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:58 pm

Ruth,

I think I can answer some questions. Not all though. I have told some of my friends about dyspraxia b/c I have it and they have been nothing but nice about it. That's just me, one person. I don't think it is true for everyone unfortunately, but I am glad that some people are nice about it. I also have a problem with beans, and veggies in general. Baked beans are okay for me, but as far as green ones or esparagus or peas-I HATE THE TEXTURE!! I also hate the taste. I never knew why I hated them until I found out I had dyspraxia. Now I know. Anyway, I hope my answer will help you.

Shanna :D
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby k9ruby » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:06 pm

I hate:

Cream (ice cream is ok though-lol!)
Butter
milk
corgettes
tomatoes (but if they are in puree or sauce thats ok!)
:D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:19 pm

Dislike tomatoes (unless in Katchup or sauce) and I HATE Cigarettes!!

Shanna :D
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby k9ruby » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:02 pm

I HATE Cigarettes!!

So do i, I cant STAND being near somone who is smoking..it makes me want to throw up!!! URGHH!!!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby madame_tigre » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:45 am

I agree about hating cigarettes (Smoking has no redeeming features whatsoever!) I don't normally like tomatoes although I'm happy to eat a pizza! I also can't walk near cucumbers or celery because I can't stand the smell!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:42 pm

I agree, there is. I just remember watching a program talking about altering DNA to make babies healthier. It also talked about the possiblility of altering the gender of the baby, the colour of their eyes, their hair colour etc. so the parents could get the child of the gender/appearance they wanted. Towards the end of the program they mentioned that maybe one day scientists would even be able to later a fetus to 'prevent them being dyslexic.' I just wondered whether other people with dyspraxia would have wanted this procedure to be done to prevent them being dyspraxic themselves, having gone through life with dyspraxia.

I did a paper on this movie, Gattaca, about a man named Vincent (Ethan Hawke) and his brother, Anton. It is about how in the future there will be two kinds of people, perfect people and "invalids", non-perfect people. Vincent is a man who was born "the natural way" and he has a heart problem. Vincent has big dreams of being an astronaut, but he can't because he is "invalid." His brother, Anton is "perfect" and really strong. He is smart just like Vincent is and he can have any job he wants. But, as I will explain, Anton is not completely perfect. I don't think that there can ever really be perfect people because people are creating the perfect people. No person is perfect, so I believe no person can create a completely perfect. Also, as illustrated in Vincent's friend Jerome's (Jude Law) life, it is hard when you are supposed to win all of the time and you lose. Maybe being perfect is not all it's cracked up to be.

Here's part of the paper (genetically enhanced means the people are "perfected"):

On Vincent and Anton:
"In Gattaca, some people are genetically enhanced and some are not. The character Vincent, who is not genetically enhanced, is portrayed as gawky and out of place at first. From the time he is born, he has a heart problem. Vincent feels out of place in his family after his genetically enhanced brother, Anton, is born. Vincent even tears out his own picture from the family photo. He looks weaker than his brother. He is not as muscular or as tall. By presenting Vincent this way, director Andrew Niccol is trying to show how genetic enhancement of physical traits makes one human better than another. However , Niccol also implies that physical strength does not always guarantee perfection.

Physical perfection does not make one perfect. Emotional characteristics also have an effect on greatness. Anton may be physically stronger, but he is innardly a coward. He is afraid to go out into the deep end of the ocean when he and Vincent are racing. Vincent is more courageous and ambitious than his brother. He beats Anton at swimming twice and is not afraid of going out too far into the water. Anton cannot achieve perfection because his parents concentrated on the physical traits and neglected to consider the emotional character traits, which Vincent had naturally. Anton is unable to conquer his fears because he does not have these genes. "

On Jerome (supposedly perfect olympian):
"Jerome, the character who helps Vincent achieve his goals of getting into the firm Gattaca, is genetically enhanced to be physically perfect. He is helpful and understanding of Vincent’s needs. Jerome has been made to always win at whatever he does. But because of this genetic enhancement, Jerome also has a flaw. He knows that he is supposed to win all of the time. So when he loses a race at the Olympics, he feels as if he has failed at life. His flaw is that he does not have the ability to deal with losing. He falls into a depression and tries to kill himself, but fails and becomes paralyzed from the waist down. Paralysis leaves him even more depressed because he failed at yet another thing. He could not even end his own life on the first try. Though he is genetically enhanced physically, he still is not perfect mentally. He does not have the ability to face up to a loss because his creators focused on the more physical aspect of his being but did not consider the emotional effects that losing a race or getting injured would have on his mind. The movie Gattaca shows there are many emotional implications to be considered when people choose their own genes. "
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby SpursFan » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:52 am

If I had the choice I would NOT be dyspraxic because I consider it to be a hindrance. It is not part of me as a person - just as being blind, disabled doesn't define someone else. It is a physical disorder that, to be frank, is a bit of a pain in the backside, and has resulted in my social ineptness.

The people who say that they would still prefer to have dyspraxia because it makes them special are just kidding themselves. Out of those people, how many try to combat and quell the symptoms by physical exercises or increasing their social interaction? Enough said I think!

Matt.
SpursFan
Super Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat