Dyspraxia Leaflet Is Ready For You To View!

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby Matthew A-F » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:31 pm

Our Dyspraxia Leaflet is in the final stage of production:

<a href='http://www.matts-hideout.co.uk/DyspraxiaEF.pdf' target='_blank'>Dyspraxia Leaflet</a>

The link is of a prototype version. We would welcome your comments on it, whether you think it explains dyspraxia well and anything we've missed out that should be put in. To see the leaflet, which is a .pdf file, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, which you can download from here:

<a href='http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html' target='_blank'>http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html</a>

Feel free to print the leaflet, but please make sure that the zoom is at 100%, otherwise it will not print properly.

Thankyou so, so much to everyone who sent in their quotes and stories to be put on the leaflet. I can't wait to start getting the leaflet's printed and into schools.

Matt
Matthew A-F

Postby Sean » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:32 pm

Hi matt,
I,ve tried to view your laeflet. The second page is good, but the first page refueses to load due to a font error. Any idea why?
Sean
Sean

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:32 pm

Hi Sean,
Matt is away for the next few days, so thought I would reply on his behalf.
We have checked the PDF of Matt's leaflet on several computers including a very old laptop, which runs on windows 98 and it seems to load fine. Please could you let us know what system you are using and which version of Adobe you have.
Thanks. Hope all is okay with you.
Helen :)
Guest_Helen

Postby Guest_Darren » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:34 pm

Hi everyone.
Well after 60+hours of writing, re-writing, editing, copy and pasting we now have a final pre-press version of our Dyspraxia information leaflet. You can download your own copy from <a href='http://www.matts-hideout.co.uk/DyspraxiaEF.pdf' target='_blank'>Dyspraxia Leaflet</a>. It prints best with the zoom set to 100% on most printers.
It was originally designed for teachers, but please feel free to distribute copies to anyone you think may benefit from the information.
And finally, thanks once again to Elsa Griffiths for her wonderful cartoon illustrations :lol:
Best wishes to all.
Darren.
Guest_Darren

Postby Karen Adams » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:36 pm

Matt

I am printing off your leaflet to send in to my children's two schools.

I have a couple of nit-picky suggestions (that's me!) :rolleyes: :
* the girl on the front cover is beautifully drawn but I find that her flowery top distracts from her difficulty in snapping her fingers.
* I love your Dyspraxic Fantastic two left feet logo and tried to download it to put into a newsletter I am writing. As you know the download is protected. If you are serious on spreading the word I suggest you remove this protection BUT add in your website address as part of the logo. Allowing everyone to download will help get the message across.

Keep up all your hard work.

Karen
Karen Adams

Postby Abby » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:36 pm

Hi Karen.
My name is Abby and I am a sister of my Brother who is called Matthew. Matthews friend is called Elsa who did the drawings of the cartoons for the Dyspraxia Leaflet. I read your message about what you thought on the leaflet and I' m sorry to hear what you thought about the girl. I agree about the girl because I thought the same way when I saw the picture. I think it maybe needed to be more detailed in the picture and she needed to be doing up the buttons with both hands. Anyway I hope it will get our condition known to people out there and also most importantly the problems to do with it. Most people I tell about it have heard of it but don' t know what it involves.
Abby

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:37 pm

Hello Karen,
Thank you for your comments. I shall try to address your points. The drawings were donated to us by a young lady, Elsa, who gave her time and talents to us, without even having met or spoken to us. Elsa drew them having received a simple briefing from us, via Abby's brother. She had never heard of Dyspraxia before, but took the time to find out about it, before producing such powerful images. I am sure you will agree that they are truly brilliant and very professional. We were thrilled with the illustrations, very grateful for them and touched by Elsa's generosity. Under the circumstances, even if we had not been completely happy with the illustrations, it would have been completely inappropriate to complain to Elsa and expect her to alter them. All four cartoons in the leaflet represent the different difficulties and frustrations experienced by children with Dyspraxia and, we feel, capture this very successfully. The little girl is representing difficulties with fastening buttons and alignment. The buttons on her blouse are incorrectly done up, she is puzzled and is trying to work out what she has done wrong; she is not clicking her fingers. We chose the little girl for the front of the leaflet because she is so eye catching (and we think very cute....in fact, we just love her!) All the feedback we have received suggests that her appearance makes people want to pick up the leaflet and look inside, which is exactly what we wanted.
With regard to your point about Matt's 'Dyspraxic/Fantastic' foot logo, he designed this himself and quite rightly decided to copyright it. He designed it specifically for the leaflet and his site, as a personal emblem and not for use in other people's publications. It is his own, very personal, visual interpretation of Dyspraxia and how it makes him feel. The logo is important and special to him and we hope people will understand and respect his wishes to keep it for his personal use only. All images on the site are copyrighted, but Matt is more than happy for people to print any of the pages for personal use. Finally, Matt is very serious in his efforts to raise awareness about Dyspraxia. This is why he has been so honest and open on this site, dedicates so much time to maintaining it and responding to all the e-mail he receives and has done numerous radio, TV and magazine interviews. His counter is genuine, so, yes, he really has had nearly 20,000 visitors since Sept 2001, all learning about Dyspraxia, many of them teachers and health professionals. The leaflet is available for anyone to download (the more who do, the better) and will also be distributed directly to primary schools by us. As this is to be at our own expense (we have not received any grant from anywhere) the speed that the publication is distributed is dependent on cash flow :( , but we aim to get one copy into every single UK primary school eventually.
I hope your children's schools find the leaflet informative.
Regards,
Helen.
Guest_Helen

Postby Karen Adams » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:37 pm

Abby would you tell Elsa that I think she is an extremely talented artist. Having never been able to draw, I am very envious.

Thank you for your detailed response Helen. I understand the way Matt feels and will respect his wishes. I have been visiting this site for a long time. It has helped me understand my son (who is not able to communicate too well) and this has let me ease some of his frustrations. I have passed the URL on to several other parents.

Have you thought about Lottery funding for your leaflet? There is a grant called Fund for All (or something similar) which is very straight-forward to apply for. You do not have to be a charity and grants are from £500. You could apply for all your printing and postage costs.
Karen Adams

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:38 pm

Hi Karen,
Thanks for your idea about lottery funding. I shall certainly look in to it. Glad you have found Matt's site useful and thanks for supporting it by passing his address onto others :) .
Take care,
Helen
Guest_Helen

Postby Dyspraxic Fantastic » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:39 pm

I think the leaflet is great! I like the quotations from children with dyspraxia and the suggestions for supporting a child with dyspraxia. Thank-you for using my poem.

I am currently working in a school two days a week as part of my child care course. They are a lovely school but I haven't told them I am dyspraxic because I haven't felt it necessary. They are pleased with my progress and I would tell them if I felt it necessary but dyspraxia hasn't got in the way of things as much as I feared it might. I may print out a copy of the leaflet for them incase they have a undiagnosed dyspraxic child in their class.

Charlotte x
Dyspraxic Fantastic

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat