We Need Your Feed Back, Please!

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:30 pm

Hello Everyone,
Our Dyspraxia Leaflet has been up on Matt's site for several days now, but we have had no feed back at all :( . To view the leaflet please click on the following link <a href='http://www.matts-hideout.co.uk/DyspraxiaEF.pdf' target='_blank'>http://www.matts-hideout.co.uk/DyspraxiaEF.pdf</a>
We would really appreciate your comments, good :) or bad :( , regarding the layout, graphics, content, clarity etc.
We are aiming to begin distibuting the leaflet to schools in January, so we will need to start having them printed soon, in order to achieve this. We are meeting all costs of printing and distributing the leaflets ourselves, so we are eager to get it right first time.
We want the leaflet to be accurate and informative and to act as a voice in schools for all children with dyspraxia.
You can leave your comments on this message board or e-mail them to webmaster@matts-hideout.co.uk. Come on get involved in spreading the 'Dyspraxic Fantastic' message ;)
Many thanks for your support,
Helen
Guest_Helen

Postby Wendy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:30 pm

Hello Helen.

I printed ot the Dyspraxia leaflet and gave it to my 11 year old daughter to read. She has dyspraxia and has just moved to high school. She thought it was good and especially liked the poem.
Her school is good and are trying their best to help her, we both felt that this might help her teachers . Also the leaflet is easy to read and would help children to understand dyspraxia.
We have told her sisters to read the leaflet and asked for thie comments. They haven't done this yet.
Would it be all right to pass the leaflet onto her Guide Captain and Youth Club Leaders?
Well done Matthew . :)
Wendy
Wendy

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:30 pm

Hello Wendy,
Thanks so much for your encouraging and helpful comments. Please feel free to print the leaflet and give it to whoever you feel may benefit. Would love to know whether your daughter's teachers, Guide captain etc find the leaflet informative and if it extends their knowledge/understanding of dyspraxia. So if you could ask them for their thoughts about it and pass them onto us, it would be great. Glad your daughter enjoyed the leaflet and hope her sisters find it useful too.
Again thanks for your time and support.
All the very best.
Kind regards,
Helen
Guest_Helen

Postby Vikki Collins » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:31 pm

Dear Helen,
It takes gifted people to put things so simply, the leaflet is excellent; Pryderi is going to take enough copies of to pass on to his various teachers. I am sure that in the long run this will benefit the teachers, parents, and MOST IMPORTANTLY - the children.
A thought: We have a manual duplex printer which has a paper feed from the top ; I printed out the leaflet and it came out as two pages, so I flipped the page vertically as they came out of the printer, returned them to the paper feed and printed again resulting in two tri-fold leaflets - I hope this of help.
May I attach a copy of the document on my site.
Cofion Cynnes (best wishes),
Vikki
Vikki Collins

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:37 pm

Hello Vikki,
Thanks for your kind comments. Pleased that you think the leaflet is going to be useful and I hope Pryderi's teachers are able to better understand his difficulties once they have read it. Please do put a copy of the leaflet on your site.....it may be better to link directly to it at <a href='http://www.matts-hideout.co.uk/DyspraxiaEF.pdf' target='_blank'>Dyspraxia Leaflet</a>, so you are not taking up your webspace, also if we update at any point, you will always have the latest copy.
Really looking forward to getting the leaflet distributed, starting in January. We are going to begin with 100 local primary schools and then start further afield. May take us a while to get them into all UK schools, because we are funding the project ourselves, so we shall have to save up for the printing and postage! Our dream of getting a copy into every school will be realised oneday though, I will make sure of it .
Heartfelt thanks for your continued support. It is so appreciated. Love to you and Pryderi.
Helen
Guest_Helen

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:38 pm

Hi Helen
Excellent phamplet, wish there had been one that was as informative and easy to understand when our son Matt was first diagnosed 6 years ago. Have printed off a couple, for friends who's children have recently been diagnosed. Hope this is OK.
Keep up the good work it is much appreciated by all who visit yours and Matt's site. I often recommend this site to parents as I come into contact with many children in my line of work. well done Matt
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:38 pm

Hello Elizabeth,
It is great that folks are printing the leaflet off and that it is already reaching people. Hope your friends find it useful. Thanks for your kind words about Matt's site. I cannot take any credit for it though......it is all written by Matt! My only contribution is through this great forum, which is a brilliant way of bringing those who live with dyspraxia together. :lol:
Take care,
Helen
Guest_Helen

Postby Annie » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:39 pm

Hi, it's Ruby's mum here. I thought the leaflet was fantastic. Ruby recently led an assembly on dyspraxia with her friends at school and used lots of the information that you have provided. We'd love to meet others with dyspraxia (we live in Northampton) are there any local groups?
Annie

Postby Abby » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:39 pm

Hi Annie.
How did the assembly go. Did the children take an understanding in the information and were they helpful? Did any children have any questions and did any come up to you afterwards for advice? :( , because I' m really interested in how it went. I think it' s a very good idea.
Abby.
Abby

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:40 pm

Hello Annie,
It is great that Ruby was given the opportunity to talk about dyspraxia at her school. We live in Milton Keynes and I am very keen to get a local support group going for North Bucks/Northamptonshire. I have already contacted the Dyspraxia Foundation about the vacant position for local co-ordinator for Bucks, but have noticed most members are in the South Bucks area. My feeling is that Milton Keynes and Northampton should have their own group as geographically this makes sense. I have ideas of negotiating swimming lessons, back stage theatre trips, bowling, etc. - just things to get the kids together. Matt already has his site so we could put a 'Local Dyspraxia Group' page up and have a newsletter etc. I am going to try and negotiate with the foundation about getting this started. Would you be interested in getting involved?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Helen.
Guest_Helen

Postby Annie » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:40 pm

Hi Helen
I would definately be interested but I'm very busy until March '04 then I'll be free. (I've been commisioned to write a book and the manuscript is due in then!) Great idea and I know Ruby would love it. It'd be great to meet other parents, too.

By all accounts Rubys assembly went well. She got others to tie shoe laces wearing snow gloves etc and explained about the condition. She wanted the minority who call her names, to understand what her problems were -we felt very proud of her!
Annie

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:41 pm

Hello Annie,
That is great news...hopefully next year we shall be able to launch an active local group.
Sounds like Ruby did a great job and used some very original ideas to educate her peers.
Well done Ruby! :lol:
Bye for now,
Helen
Guest_Helen

Postby Annie » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:41 pm

Hello.
Rubys'mum again.
Does anyone out there know if there's any provision for young people with dyspraxia to use laptops when it comes to SATS or GCSE's ? Ruby finds it less tiring to type than write, and those horrid exams are approaching fast!!
Annie
Annie

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:43 pm

Hello Annie,
I know that Abby would be entitled to extra time in Sats and GCSEs and the examining boards should take dyspraxia into account when marking a paper. As for use of a laptop, I believe this is possible too, but I am not completely sure. The Dyspraxia Foundation produce a fact sheet which details the help GCSE candidates with dyspraxia should be entitled to. Details are as follows : 'GCSE Exams - What Help is Available for the Dyspraxic Candidate - £1.50 (non member), £1.00 (member)
What help is availbale from the examination boards'
There is an order form on their website at <a href='http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk' target='_blank'>Dyspraxia foundation</a>You will find the details on the 'shop' link. I have never seen the factsheet myself, so I do not know how useful it will be, but I should think it would give a starting point and inform you well enough to be able to approach Ruby's school. Have they not given you any details of how Ruby can be supported through her exams, because they should be familiar with the procedures and making all the arrangements, not leaving you to worry about it.
I wish you all the best with it and hope that all works out ok.
Let us know what happens, as I am sure your experiences will help others in the future.
Say 'hi' to Ruby from me.
Helen
Guest_Helen

Postby maz1 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:40 pm

hello helen, i have just read the leaflet and i think it is brilliant :) iit will really make people think. well done. maz
maz1

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat