Switch to full style
Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.
Post a reply

Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:36 pm

i sound and act immature. lol I look younger than i am. I get mistaken as a kid alot of the time. :)

Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:27 am

carebear15 wrote:i sound and act immature. lol I look younger than i am. I get mistaken as a kid alot of the time. :)

Don't we all!

:|

Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:01 pm

Personally I suspect that immaturity is much less common than non-dyspraxic people think. 'Symptoms' of immaturity - such as temper outbursts, an unwillingness to share, and reluctance to join in more sophisticated playground games such as football are a result of underlying dyspraxic difficulties. Nearly everybody becomes very irritable when they're tired, and for a lot of people with dyspraxia fatigue is just something we have to take. Tantrums aren't necessarily a result of emotional immaturity, but a consequence of sheer physical exhaustion - and, of course, frustration. I'd like to see how a fully grown, supposedly well-adjusted adult would cope if he or she were suddenly confronted with the array of difficulties that the average dyspraxic child has to face.

Most of my outburst are caused by some sort of sensory problem. I have hyperacute hearing and my brother will do anything to irritate me- he knows he is doing this. However, to people looking from the outside it looks as though I am over reacting- I'm not! I just want him to stop doing stuff that annoys my ears so much!! Because of this, I always seem to get told I'm 'over reacting' (in front of my brother grrr!)) which of course reninforces to him that its ok to annoy me (arrgh!).

Or if I'm being told to try something new on in a shop. One of my biggest sensory problems is tactile sensitivity- which can make clothes shopping so hard- especially when I am expected to try stuff on...

It goes in this cycle:

1) Try clothes on. Material annoys me.

2) Have to show parents. Tell them. (oh yes...I must mention that I have tried to rip all the labels off already....my mum once had to explain why :oops: )

3) Try clothes on. Material annoys me. Get eyeroll from mum.

4) Floresant light above me starts to flicker and hear weird buzzing sound (who else gets this when they are either tired, or their skin is annoyed?)

5) Try some more chlothes on, but can't bear them as my skin is already annoyed (my skin seems to get more sensetive the more it gets irritated :( )

6) Mum forces me to come out and show her....I cannot bear it any longer and flip!)

If on the rare occasion we find something that does not irritate me, you will see us buying many 'copies' of it in several colours!!

So yeah...thats me :(

When I'm tired, or already irritated, my sensetivities tend to get alot worse. I also am more likely to flip if I get really tired- especially at the end of the school day. I always get really really tired around 5-7 days before my periods due- and that will make things even worse.

hehe

Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:11 pm

I still have trouble with clocks. Wink This problem will be solved if I become a nun. Nuns have a bell to signal the time, and besides...for them time is seen in the context of eternity. Who needs a clock?!

(I really wish my tutors would accept this reasoning.)

Hehe! I used to have big problems telling the time on a clock up until I was around 12. I remember every day my classroom assistant at primary school working with me every day to teach me to tell the time and tie my shoe laces (that I still have problems with still- its either alll or nothing! My brain will either totally forget how I'm meant to do it, or I do them and 10mins later they come undone. I have learnt if you can't buy velcro shoes (something getting quite difficult now I'm 17) if you get skater style ones you can do the laces up once and after that they can act as slip ons!)

:P

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:43 pm

Sometimes I can come across as very immature-like Creative, I find makeup difficult to use-I rub my eyes a lot and this smudges any eye makeup I am wearing. I also have an overactive blink reflex so cannot cope with anything in or near my eyes-my mum doesn't understand this and just says it won't hurt me. I am also a highly emotional person and sometimes people see my outburts of tears as childish. However, I don't see them as immature-it's just that whilst other people may be able to hold their emotions in until they are in a private place, I can't contain them and cry wherever I am if something has upset me. However some people, when reading something I have written or having an in depth conversation with me about one of my interests have said I seem about 30! As for appearance, people have mistaken me for both 14 and 28!

Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:13 pm

I don't wear make-up either. not because i don't like the feeling, but because i don't see the point. i never notice if someone's forgotten to put it on.
I have also been told i look younger that i am, but i take this to be a good thing, - everyone my age thinks that it's good/cool to look older, but then older people prefere to look younger. my opinion is, if you look 12 when your 17, when you're 40, you'll look 35.

I don't think i'm immature for my age, as all my friends (the ones that are my age) are being just as immature.
i think when i was slightly younger (about year 8ish), some people thought i was immature for doing things, even thoug they did the same things!

as for playing with little kids, there's a boy at my DF who has adhd (i think it was that one he has - but i could be thinking of the wrong thing). our CO (of our DF) has a 2 year old son who he sometimes has to bring to cdts, and this boy (with adhd) likes to play/entertain him (the 2 year old) and our CO said it's because he doesn't judge him like people his age do.
I find that, at cdts, i talk more to the staff and I entertain our CO's son more that i talk to the cdts my age.

Steph wrote:I am also a highly emotional person and sometimes people see my outburts of tears as childish. However, I don't see them as immature-it's just that whilst other people may be able to hold their emotions in until they are in a private place, I can't contain them and cry wherever I am if something has upset me.

I'm the same - especially if i'm tired. In year 11 some girls used to call me a cry-baby which made it worse.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:29 pm

I just get annoyed easily, when I'm all flustered I struggle to think clearly, now if the situation calls for it a thump to something usually gets my head clear again.
I've been told I look young for my age and that I don't act it to what I reply being "Better me acting like me instead of sitting outside an off license plastered and holding a knife like most people my age", people usually have problems understanding my words and speech which I find puzzling as I can hear my own words fine, if this means I'm gonna need therapy again then damn. THough whenever I speak clearly I get accused of shouting :shock: :?:

Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:22 pm

I think I'm quite mature as a 16 year old. I suppose I'm quite a goody as I follow the rules and try to do what is right all the time but I do hate been like that all of the time. I wish would stand up for myself. Sometimes I hear stories of people losing their tempers and let out their rage and sometimes I wish I was like them and let some emotion out but no, I keep all my emotions bottled up until I go boom and I'm a weeping wreck.

Like some people said on the first post, I can't confide in people my own age, I can get on with adults but not with people my own age. Maybe because of everything I've been through, it's kind of made me feel older.

Also, I'm quite independent in the sense, that I don't like teamwork and prefer to work on my own. I think this is because of the lack of friends I've had over the years and it's made me realise that if some go bad, I can't fall back on friends so I myself have to learn to deal with it.

Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:I don't wear make-up either. not because i don't like the feeling, but because i don't see the point. i never notice if someone's forgotten to put it on.
I have also been told i look younger that i am, but i take this to be a good thing, - everyone my age thinks that it's good/cool to look older, but then older people prefere to look younger. my opinion is, if you look 12 when your 17, when you're 40, you'll look 35.

I don't think i'm immature for my age, as all my friends (the ones that are my age) are being just as immature.
i think when i was slightly younger (about year 8ish), some people thought i was immature for doing things, even thoug they did the same things!

as for playing with little kids, there's a boy at my DF who has adhd (i think it was that one he has - but i could be thinking of the wrong thing). our CO (of our DF) has a 2 year old son who he sometimes has to bring to cdts, and this boy (with adhd) likes to play/entertain him (the 2 year old) and our CO said it's because he doesn't judge him like people his age do.
I find that, at cdts, i talk more to the staff and I entertain our CO's son more that i talk to the cdts my age.

Steph wrote:I am also a highly emotional person and sometimes people see my outburts of tears as childish. However, I don't see them as immature-it's just that whilst other people may be able to hold their emotions in until they are in a private place, I can't contain them and cry wherever I am if something has upset me.

I'm the same - especially if i'm tired. In year 11 some girls used to call me a cry-baby which made it worse.

I used to get quite emotional, I've not changed but I've realised some people found me immature because I didn't keep it in. In a social background like school keeping in tears is helpful, especially when trying to maintain that boyish charm. ;)

:)

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Evreybody's saying they prefered to be with younger people, im completly diffrent i always use to confide in adults (and for the most part)
ignore social activities with children my own age! even now at parties i'll be in with the adults then with the teenagers in the next room...

To a degree, I also had that. I can remember being invited, along with the rest of my class, to someone's eleventh birthday party. It was held at a beautiful outdoor swimming pool in Saudi Arabia. I swam fifty lengths religiously, avoiding the games of water polo and tag, and then went over to where the chaperones were sitting. There was one woman who was slightly removed from the group. Perhaps she was like me? I don't know. But we got talking about zoology, which was my obsession of that time. I talked to her for three hours. She showed no inclination to return to the adults and I had no intention of going to play with the other children. The next day at school, someone said nastily, "Enjoy yourself with the adults at Kayleigh's party?" I felt bewildered then. It hadn't occurred to me that what I had done was strange.

I was a bit like that. Even now, given the choice of chatting with a strange teenager or adult, I would still choose the 'grown up' :P

Although, in some ways, my reactions to some things will seem immature, in other situations I feel I am way more mature than people my age. For instance, I have never felt the need to succumb to peer pressure, drink, smoke, drugs, or just do things to 'impress' other people etc.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:52 pm

I was once rudely asked if I had that condition where your body is more mature than your brain :?

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:06 pm

I'm not sure how to answer this. I can be quite immature but also quite mature.

Immature-In the fact that I can still relate to kids really well. I am a Girl Guide leader and I try to help the girls as much as I can, cos I still remember what its like to be 9 and not fit in! I still really enjoy things like colouring in when I'm with my 3 yr. old nephew, I find it very therapeutic! And I still wear velcro/slip on shoes cos I cant seem to tie laces (even though I'm 20!)

However on the other end I can be mature. Most of my friends are older than me, I get on better with older people than people my own age. I'm apparently really easy to talk to and am reliable and trustworthy.

Re: Immaturity and dyspraxia

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:09 pm

This page is brilliant I tend to act less imature than some people for example finding thinsg that are particularly funny to other people really funny lol also I remmbere being on holiday and fnidng that my friends were younger than me I think this was because they were more likley to find things that I did funny is anyone else the same

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm a great one for immaturity! My mum is forever telling me to 'grow up!' (What, and casually slip in swear words to everyday conversations, talk loudly about 'What I did last night :wink:' and look like a clown whenever I go out :)?)
When I was in year 7-8 (11-13), I enjoyed the company of younger children. In fact, some of my closest friends were in years 4(8-9) and 6(10-11)!
I also never wear make-up, as,while at school, No one is really going to say "You look beautiful.", especially if you're wearing your uniform :D

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:13 am

People think I'm immature.

I have lots of friends in the year below. And people think I over react to little things. Someone just tapped my arm and I flipped out at them because everyone was talking it was noisy and crowded in our locker room and I was already uncomfortable and I was trying to leave because I knew if I stayed any longer I would lose it. Then someone just tapped my arm to get my attention to ask how I did in my exams and I just full on shouted at them and I never lend things out. Never! I hate people touching my stuff, I'm not even sure why just if anyone moves anything of mine I hate it- I hit my sisters fiance when he touched my rubix cube and my mum had to explain that I was "different"

But really I feel mature. In a knowledge sense. I often will talk to adults about films like Silence of the lambs from the 90's and I love morcambe and wise and les misrable and many other things people my age have never even heard off. So I often find my self talking to adults and they understand more what I talk about.
Post a reply