I'm Not Sure What To Do

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby Spoon Girl » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:31 pm

As you may have noticed I've been coming to this site for a while now. I'm not diagnosed as dyspraxic and came across this site after my mum told me she thought I was dyspraxic and took me to the doctor who didn't really have a clue. My mum said that if I am dyspraxic then it's only mild and that she didn't want to pay so much money for a diagnosis as she didnt think it was too important(By then I had improved in things I was finding difficult and could easily avoid P.E). This left me thinking and so I searched for dyspraxia on the interent and came across your site which by the way is by far the best! I'm not greatly affected by problems I have apart from people thinking I'm strange. A diagnosis wouldn't help me greatly but I would just like to know. There is no way my family could afford a private diagnosis. Does anyone know the procedures for NHS? I am 15. My friend of 17 is dyslexic, dyspraxic and has ADD and says he sees himself when he was younger in me. What should I do? Do I seek a diagnosis of any of these things or do I keep living the way I am? Are there any tests that I could do myself in order to see if it is likely I'm dyspraxic? My worst fear is finding out that there is nothing wrong with me!

Thanks in advance
'Spoon girl'
Spoon Girl

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:31 pm

Hello Spoon Girl,
There should be no problem getting a diagnosis on the NHS, but you need your GP to refer you. It is understandable that you are looking for answers, but only you can decide whether you want to persue an official diagnosis. Would a diagnosis actually change anything for you? If it is enough to know in your heart that any diffculties you have are due to dyspraxia etc. then perhaps you don't need a doctor to confirm it. If you can identify with the posters on this board and the problems they have and Matt's description of the difficulties dyspraxia causes, is familiar to you, then you are among friends here, with or without a diagnosis. ;) Matt was diagnosed at 10 years old...four years ago now and to be honest he has not received a scrap of help from any professionals as a result. I think he has found his place and made sense of dyspraxia through the creation of this site, not from the views of a doctor. I hope in turn that his site helps others to come to terms with having dyspraxia (or indeed symptoms that may or may not be dyspraxia) and that it is the very thing that makes them who they are.
I cannot decide the path you should take for you, Spoon Girl, you must follow your heart and your head and do what you feel comfortable with. All I will say is doctors do not have all the answers. I am sure others on the board will give you their thoughts on this too, very soon. Whatever you decide though, you are who you are, so be proud, reach for the stars and be who you want to be. :lol:
Take care,
Helen :)
Guest_Helen

Postby Spoon Girl » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:32 pm

Thanks for that. I think I know deep down that I'm dyspraxic but just don't want to feel a fool by admitting to it. I think foir the time being I will carry on with my exams etc and then perhaps try and get a diagnosis to get the extra time in exams in the future if I feel it's needed. Wouldn't it be great if I could just say to people when I bump into them that there is a reason........... for now I will just stick to looking blankly at my feet lol
Spoon Girl

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:33 pm

on Apr 16th, 2004, 9:56pm, Spoon girl wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if I could just say to people when I bump into them that there is a reason........... for now I will just stick to looking blankly at my feet lol 

Hi Spoon Girl,
That's just it...there is a reason for you bumping into people. You have poor co-ordination or spatial awareness...it does not matter what the cause is. You don't bump into people on purpose! Next time...don't look at your feet, look the person in the eye, smile and just say 'sorry'. If they get hung up over it, that is their problem not yours. People are too quick to judge and need to lighten up a bit. ;)
Guest_Helen

Postby Spoon Girl » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:34 pm

True thanks for yoour advice. It's a real confidence booster. Thought I'd let you know that I'm going to overcome my fear ofsports and try and take one up. People are a lot more tolerant of me nowadays and I know that if I start a sport amongst friends that they will stand up for me and encourage me no mater how awful I am. thanks again
Spoon Girl

Postby Charlotte » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:34 pm

Good for you, Spoon girl! :D

I am mildly dyspraxic and I used to hate playing sport but now I love sport like swimming. I have a trampoline and basketball net in my garden which I love. I also like tennis although I don't know how to 'play' it (!), I mean properly, so I just play it my way which is where I bounce the ball over the net from my racket to the person on the other side's without all the stupid rules. (30 love, what's that all about?! Still haven't figured it out!!!) I do lots of things my own special way, which is way better than how everyone else does them!!! :lol:

Anyway, back to you! Taking up sport is really cool because it does help co-ordination etc. It also imporves fitness and releases endorphines, which make you happy.

When I was at school, 'playing' rounders (which means standing at the back of the field pretending to be a fielder shivering and wishing I could just go home!) I hated 'exercise' but that was before I truly realised what 'exercise' was. There's all kinds of exercise, swimming, riding a bike, walking, jogging, hockey, netball, football, bouncing up and down on a trampoline, jumping on a dance-mat, and bound to be a few that you enjoy. I still don't like exercise like we did it at school but I do like doing it independantly, where I can go at my own pace. Anyway, I hope I haven't bored you with this really long post about exercise! (If my PE teachers could see me now!!!)

Charlotte
x x x
Charlotte

Postby Spoon Girl » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:35 pm

Thanks for your messages of support, sorry this is a bit brief........usually I don't shut up but I'm currently having a 'magor gcse stress' lol indeed these years are the greates :rolleyes: night all x
Spoon Girl

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:35 pm

Aww....when do you take them, this June or are you doing course work at the moment?
Sure you'll be fine and do yourself proud. Hang in there...I know it feels awful now, but it is not forever and oneday you will look back and wonder what you stressed about. ;)
Take care,
Helen
Guest_Helen

Postby Charlotte » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:36 pm

Oh how well I remember those days! I did my GCSEs last year and the pressure was awful! Good luck and you have my heartfelt sympathy x
Charlotte

Postby Vicky » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:36 pm

Hello Spoon Girl,

If you're still at school, being officially diagnosed with DCD could give you access to considerations in your exams - but if you feel that you can cope without, and you don't need the psychological relief of a diagnosis, then this is fine. There are no DIY kits for diagnosing dyspraxia! My assessment was three hours long and involved a detailed analysis of my developmental history, as well as a battery of tests. Here are a couple of the co-ordination measures that the psychologist used:

Try touching each of your fingers in turn with your thumb, first one hand, then the other.

Close your eyes, extend your arm so it is perpendicular to your body, and try to touch your nose with your index finger.

Stand on one leg.

These were the most basic physical tests - there were many more - but I don't know how she interpreted them or what her scoring system was. It all looked very complicated. All I know is that the inability to touch your nose when your eyes are shut is a classic indicator of dyspraxia - but to what degree, I couldn't say.
Vicky

Postby Spoon Girl » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:37 pm

thanks again,
I start my GCSES on the 24th of may........so far and yet so close!
Spoon Girl

Postby Guest_Helen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:37 pm

I wish you all the very best with your GCSE exams.
Go knock 'em dead, girl....you can do it!! ;)
Helen x
Guest_Helen

Postby Abby » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:38 pm

on Apr 19th, 2004, 11:11pm, Spoon girl wrote:
Thanks for your messages of support, sorry this is a bit brief........usually I don't shut up but I'm currently having a 'magor gcse stress' lol indeed these years are the greates *rolls eyes* night all x 

Hi spoon girl. Please don't worry about those exams. I remember doing GCSE's and how hard it was with all the studying and strees, but you will get there in the end. Mum told me a way of studying to look in your books, read a page and use spider diagrams on plain pieces of paper and revise that way, but it's entirely up to you how you revise. Good Luck! ;)
Abby

Postby Jen » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:38 pm

I've just been looking back over this message board to see if anyone else has a similar problem to me. I found it here.

I haven't been diagnosed as dyspraxic but am convinced that i am. I recently read something in a magazine about dyspraxia and thought it sounded just like me. I did some research and was amazed by what i found. Most of the symptoms of dyspraxia fit me perfectly. I'd always felt a bit different from other people but was never sure why.

I know an official diagnosis probably wont help me (I'm 24 now) but would really like to know, just like spoon girl. I'm very wary about going to the doctor though as i have had a lot of problems with stress and depression in the past. (Last time i went to see the doctor because i had dizzy spells she said it was just because i was stressed and did i want counselling. I explained that i was fine so she said "i'll do a blood test then, but it'll come back normal - we've got you down as a bit of a worrier" It was so obvious she didn't believe me. Anyway, as it happened the blood test was abnormal and i was badly anaemic!). Their standard phrase to me used to be "come back if you feel any worse". I just can't stop wondering at the moment, it's driving me mad!

Does anyone have any experience of being diagnosed as Dyspraxic as an adult?
My Mum recently had tests for dyslexia which came back that she has it, but she had to pay a lot of money for this assessment. Does this apply to dyspaxia as well?
Jen

Postby Vicky » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:46 pm

Hello,

As you're only fifteen it would be worthwhile getting diagnosed, as you could then have extra time in your exams - this would make things much fairer for you. Even if you're coping quite well in ordinary time, the extra would allow you to reach your full potential.

If you go back to the doctor, ask for a referral to one of the following:

1. Physiotherapist
2. Occupational therapist
3. Paediatric neurologist
4. Psychologist

A psychologist is the one most likely to charge you. Ask to see whichever one of those has the shortest waiting list. It will probably be the physio or the OT.

Hope this helps :)
Vicky

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat