Whats The...

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby k9ruby » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:39 pm

Best experience
Worst experience
embarresing experience
funniest experience

of being dyspraxic that you have had??? :D :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby benjnottingham » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:37 pm

My best experience was learing how to play: guitar,bass & drums.
My worst experience was being bullied :(
Ben :) :D
B Jackson
benjnottingham
Splendiferous Member

Postby Charlotte1 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:52 pm

Hi Ruby,

Great topic :D

I've had lots of good experiences and most of them are due to dyspraxia as a whole, rather than just one thing, for example the fact that I did badly at school because of dyspraxia made me work harder and achieve good results on my GCSEs and the fact that I knew what being treated badly felt like made me treat others well. My GCSE results probably come second, but the best thing that happened to me was a letter I wrote about my dyspraxia appeared in the 'Daily Mail' newspaper in June last year, along with a picture of me! I was responding to an article I'd read about ritalin (drug used to calm down hyperactivity in children) in which they'd doubted that conditions such as ADHD even exist. I had ADHD when I was younger so to read it may not exist wasn't nice. It was great seeing my name and picture in the paper, that was a great day.

My worst experience...well I've had lots of bad experiences too. I think my worst and a lot of my bad experiences are probably too personal and embarrasing for me to share. Certainly my worst makes me have a bad feeling in my heart just thinking about it...

Embarassing experience...these can be funny or sad depending on how you look at them. Probably my most embarassing was also my worst, see above. I've had plenty of other embarrassing moments though. There was the time on holiday when I was about eleven when I crossed the road and wasn't paying attention and nearly got run over! There was the time when I fell over at my bus stop. There was the time I was on holiday in Tenerife this summer and went back up to my room alone and couldn't find it and spent about an hour wandering around lost until my dad (my dad and sister had gone up to their rooms later and had found me still not there) finally found me.

The moment above was kind of funny now I think about it, although it was really scary at the time. I kept seeing all these maids and they kept saying 'orla' all happily and I kept saying 'orla' back! It's especially funny when I compare it to other things that happened that holiday. The day after that I went on a boat trip to see whales and dolphins and spent the whole three hours or so throwing up. The day after that I was just coming back from swimming and I skidded on a pile of water and nearly fell over. I know the boat thing wasn't really because of dyspraxia (although it may have been my sensitive stomach was due to the motion problems dyspraxia causes me) but it was just funny all those things happening to me one after the other. Thankfully the rest of the holiday seemed to go smoothly.
Charlotte1
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:57 pm

I had ADHD when I was younger so to read it may not exist wasn't nice

I didn't know it wasn't a lifelong condition! :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:29 pm

<a href='http://www.matts-hideout.co.uk/dyspraxi.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.matts-hideout.co.uk/dyspraxi.htm</a>

My parents are never going to let me forget the escalator incident! ;)
Matt
Site Admin

Location: Milton Keynes, England, Europe, Earth. You may have heard of it....

Postby trumpet_player » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:02 am

My best experience of being Fantastic Dyspraxic has to be that it made me who i am.

My worst has to be the bullying i endured at school (It didnt help coz when i was at school Dyspraxia wasnt known as it is now). I still think that schools should do more to prevent bullying.

The most embarressing moments have to be falling over all the time!! It's not a good look for an adult to fall over just like that!! Oh and bumping into objects and ppl all the time!!

I think you have to look at some of the embarressing moments as funny moments!!
trumpet_player

Postby Spoon girl » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:31 pm

im not dyspraxic but i have poor co ordination problems and experience many similar experiences to dyspraxics. my most embarrassing moment was when i walked id just excepted a date with this boy and then i walked full speed in to a table! thankfully he laughed! it was also quite embarrassing when i fell over on sports day while i was counting the run up (not actually on the jump)
best experience of being clumsy is the fact that people find it funny and if u can laugh with it then it turns in to one big joke which is good!
The capacity of the body is limited
Yours, mine, everybody's
But the capacity of the soul is unlimited
Your's, mine, everybody's
Spoon girl
Mega Poster

Postby Charlotte1 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:02 pm

k9ruby wrote:
I had ADHD when I was younger so to read it may not exist wasn't nice

I didn't know it wasn't a lifelong condition! :D

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was younger. At the time I was hyperactive but I'm a lot calm and quieter now. Diet had a lot to do with my hyperactivity, if I had chocolate or food containing sugar it seemed to get a lot worse.

I think maybe I have ADD without the hyperactivity because I am rarely hyper now, I'm actually quite quiet
Charlotte1
Forum Master

Postby slinky_malinki » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:19 pm

Best experiences

I have quite a lot of these and I can't really select one above the others! Realizing that a photographic memory and a flair for words are something special was definitely one of the high points - I never really understood that this was a boon of dyspraxia, but just thought that everyone could read quickly and remember all the text. When I found out that a lot of people can't, I realized how lucky I am.

The second great experience was stumbling on Matt's Hideout. I've 'met' a lot of very interesting and brilliant people via this website.

The third was writing my book.

The fourth was passing my exams. Having a learning difficulty means that you need to work so much harder in everything, and it certainly teaches you to be grateful.

Worst experience

I endured a few dark moments (well, they were longer than moments...) at the hands of bullies. I still get nightmares about what happened sometimes and I was low in confidence for ages afterwards. But even that had a positive side: I now know that it is never acceptable to victimize anyone, no matter how much they may stand out.

embarrasing experience

Erm...I have a lot of these as well, most of them caused by my abysmal short-term memory. I ended up putting on my shorts inside out at the end of one PE lesson at my school in Saudi Arabia. I wandered off to lunch with them like that, not noticing a thing. The shorts were covered in embroidery, which made it really obvious that they were inside out...what felt like the entire canteen burst out laughing. That happened when I was nine years old.

The second experience is also connected to clothing and it happened just last week. I had overslept and was late for breakfast. This called for multi-tasking! I ended up dancing down the boarding house corridor with immaculately brushed hair, a cleanly-washed face, and...not that many clothes on. I was wearing my underwear, skirt, tights, and shoes. No blouse or jacket. Luckily one of the other girls intercepted me before I reached the door that leads into the house dining room, otherwise I would have gone into breakfast like that!

funniest experience

Losing my balance and falling into a supermarket chiller filled with BirdsEye products.
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat