Bladder control-I know it's a bit personal but just curious

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Bladder control-I know it's a bit personal but just curious

Postby Steph » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:09 pm

Hi guys. I know this might be a bit of a personal topic to put on here but I was just curious. As a consequence of my dyspraxia, I was not fully trained bladder wise until the age of 8 and continued to have frequent accidents at night time until the age of 12. Even now, I have a very weak bladder-when I need to go, I need to go straight away! 5 years ago, I had to have an ultrasound scan for a suspected kidney infection and, as partof it, I had to drink loads of water and not go to the toilet in the 2 hours beforehand but I was in so much pain from trying to hold it in that eventually the doctor doing the ultrasound took pity on me and allowed me to use the toilet as soon as he had examined the kidneys (this was after he went on a 10 minute musing of Shakespeare-I know he was trying to make me feel at ease but all I could concentrate on was the pain of my bladder!)-I literally could not get out of the room quick enough-can't imagine how I'll cope if I ever get pregnant! So yeah, I know it's a bitof an embarrasing topic but, hey, the bladder is a muscle too and so, consequently, in some people with dyspraxia, it will be affected. I know that people without dyspraxia can also have weak bladders but I was just wondering how many people on here had similar issues to me.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby eastlondonluke » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:22 pm

Don't evern think about kids yet there anoying jusst get some frendly house cats lol

No realy loads of girls and peeps have that problem i don't think its so much to do with the fact you are dyspraxic its just a common thing in people and besides every body is embarsed about some thing or over
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:36 pm

Think is Steph <--- (no idea what I was taking when I wrote that), I'm not sure people with muscle problems would have their organs affected, because that'd mean dyspraxics would have weak hearts and weak rectums, they wouldn't be as good at swallowing etc.

I'm pretty sure there's something to it though, I'm just not sure what. I'll await Vicky to bombard us with facts. hah.
Last edited by Dan on Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby steve » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:55 pm

i didn't work hard. do you think mine will be fine? lol!
steve
Super Poster

Postby eastlondonluke » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:58 pm

Well if you seid in previouse post that you prodicted Cs then i think thats real achivment any way working hard or not lol
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:59 pm

eastlondonluke wrote:Well if you seid in previouse post that you prodicted Cs then i think thats real achivment any way working hard or not lol

He wasn't talking about results man.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:40 pm

Dan,
I think Vicky is the resident expert but I seem to remember reading somewhere that dyspraxia doesn't affect involuntary reflexes or organs such as the heart and the lungs-I think the thing with the bladder is due to lack of pelvic control or something like that rather than the bladde ritself but, as I say, I'm no expert.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:41 pm

Don't evern think about kids yet there anoying jusst get some frendly house cats lol

Lol-I've got 3 cats already-they're absolutely gorgeous!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Danni » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:03 am

I have some form of incontinence- I've forgotten the type, but since I already do my pelvis floor exercises the only option open to me now is surgery, and that's not going to happen unless it gets worse. I normally have to carry a change of underwear and stuff with me when I go out.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:05 am

I can control my bladder, it's just quite weak and I go a lot more frequently that most people. I often go when I'm not even desperate. Whenever I leave somewhere I have to go to the loo just before and I usually have to go again when I arrive somewhere. I always go to the toilet just before bed without fail too.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:38 pm

Yeah same here. Madame Tigre!
Steph
Forum God !

I

Postby k9ruby » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:51 pm

I wasn't completely toliet trained till i was about 6/7. I've been fine since.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby carebear15 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:20 pm

I sometimes wet my pants when i am playing on computer and not know i am wetting my pants. I have a problem with going at the last minute and i do not hve many bed wetting accidents. My bladder woke me up this morning and i needed to go to the bathroom real bad.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Chinagirl » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:26 pm

madame_tigre wrote:I can control my bladder, it's just quite weak and I go a lot more frequently that most people. I often go when I'm not even desperate. Whenever I leave somewhere I have to go to the loo just before and I usually have to go again when I arrive somewhere. I always go to the toilet just before bed without fail too.

same :)
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:12 pm

My bladder control is extremely poor, but I don't think this is due to weak muscles in my case. I just have very poor body awareness and can't always tell when I need the toilet, so sometimes my bladder takes matters into its own hands. (Not that it's got hands, but you know what I mean.) The same difficulty means that I can't always tell when my period has arrived or when I need to change my sanitaryware. :oops:

I sometimes have a problem in the...err, other department as well. Just over a year ago I was on the train to visit Miranda and I ended up pooing myself. In a serious way. Thankfully it hasn't happened so badly since that time. It only occurs when I'm disorientated, confused, and needing the toilet all at once. I got to Miranda's hospital, came bursting into the room, and said bleakly, "I need your knickers!" Only they wouldn't fit so I had to use a sanitary pad for a makeshift nappy instead.

I'm not sure people with muscle problems would have their organs affected, because that'd mean dyspraxics would have weak hearts and weak rectums, they wouldn't be as good at swallowing etc.

Steph is correct. However, it should be noted that some dyspraxic people do have significant difficulty with swallowing, especially those with verbal dyspraxia or an additional difficulty called dysphasia. This could also account for why some of us dribble and can't chew neatly.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat