Can Music Help Dyspraxia?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:48 pm

My son has Dyspraxia he is 15 and getting scribes for his exams at school.
however where music is involved - it seems to dissappear, he is a very talented rock guitarist already
see www.worldofangus.co.uk
he still can hardly tie his laces but can play anything on guitar,. pick out tunes on piano etc too, and although he it hopeless at PE he is good at dancing and drama - any ideas why
He is obessed with music :D which makes him very happy
Tinkerbell

Postby Guest_benjnottingham » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:49 pm

Hi Tinkerbell,
I play guitar & I've been playing since I was 12. I'am 22 and I write an lot of my songs and I did GCSE music at my secondary school and I've also done an CD of my songs that should be out in June.
Ben :D
If you would to hear any of songs or your son does here is my soundclick site address: <a href='http://www.soundclick.com/benjackson' target='_blank'>http://www.soundclick.com/benjackson</a>
Guest_benjnottingham

Postby Guest_Cheryl » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:53 pm

HI Tinkerbell

So glad that music is helping your son.

I am a musician with a son who suffers from dyspraxia. From our little experience we can say that music is a great channel for many people who suffer from diverse disabilities and conditions. A lot of people who struggle to be accepted in everday life can find solace and escape in music, as music is a universal language and is understood by all with no discrimination. Your son is obviously musical and his music has helped him to find something that he is good at. Music is not just an academic and intellectual art form but it is a highly emotional form of expression.

It has also been proved that music can help children learn to be able to focus better and generally improves discipline . The playing of an instrument also greatly improves the development of fine motor skills.

I hope that your son continues with his love of music I wouldnt be without it!!

with all best wishes

Cheryl
Guest_Cheryl

Postby Guest - Darrel » Wed May 12, 2004 5:43 pm

My daughter, age 14, has dyspraxia, plays the viola in the school orchestra, and was accepted into a community orchestra requiring an audition as well. She also excels at art, and, believe it or not, Japanese. However, her English penmanship is barely legible and she requires extra time to finish written assignments. She also does not do as well as others in gym class.

She says that fingering the viola and moving the bow are different than making the latin letters English requires, and drawing is also a different skill. Making the Japanese symbols is to her much like drawing.

I have read several theories about why these things happen, but I just am happy that she finds satisfying skills that she can use.
Guest - Darrel

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat