Can you "smell" things other people don't seem to?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Do you

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 47

Postby k9ruby » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:10 pm

I know us dyspraxics and those with SID are often over/under sensitive to our senses, but I am wondering to what extent.

I'm asking this as:

-I can smell my laptop
- I can smell certain materials- even silly things like bikelocks
- I can smell paper and magazines
- I could detect gas before anyone else could in my science room (everyone was joking afterwards i was a "sniffer dog" in disguise lol!)
- I can smell certain clothes
- If someone lights a ciggarette I can immediatly tell, even at quite a long distance
- I can often smell my tea if I take the dog for a walk beforehand

Its quite funny soemtimes as people will look at you as though your mad!

Also, if someone tries to disguise a food you hate, even blended and in the tiniest portion, can you taste it? (I can. Mum has officially gave up on giving me anything with courgettes or mushrooms in lol :P )]

Is your hearing really good? I can hear whispered conversations from the other side of the house and can take part in them (which can annoy my brother a hell of alot :P ). I also have my mobile on silent as I can hear it vibrating from quite a alot of areas from our house!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Bladen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 pm

Yeah, in certain aspects, I'm crippled to hell if I have a cold, makes me realize how I rely on smell.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:10 pm

I can, to some extent, but I don't think I'm as sensitive as you, Ruby :D Quite often, though, I will be lying in bed and will be able to smell something and can't seem to work out what it is! Also sometimes I start choking when I'm talking to men because of their aftershave, even when it's not strong-when it is strong, I'm in trouble! I also have sensitive hearing but my major one is tactile sensitivity. I have a really sensitive left hip so people sitting next to me makes me have to restrain myself from manically laughing because it makes me ticklish! I am also VERY ticklish, particularly on the soles of my feet-the slightest touch and I'll be hysterical! In fact, I'm ticklish everywhere on my body-when I was in Edinburgh with my friends from uni, they both started tickling me and wouldn't stop-I was shrieking hysterically and these guys were looking at us like we were aliens :P
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:17 pm

I can often smell things that other pepole swear blind are oudourless.

My favourite christmas party trick is to take a sip of mulled wine and tell you what country the oranges come from, and I've yet to be wrong.

I can here even the tiniest noises but I cannot filter them, so I often can't understand what they are when there are more than one.

My skin is oversensetive so when other pepole don't even notice they've touched me I jerk away.

InterestinglyI am almost oblivious to internal sensations. My first inkling of hunger is ussually blurring of the vision and above usual clumsines, or hearing someones stomach rumble and noticing everyone's looking at me.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:25 pm

When I'm being dragged into the bloody perfume departments by my sister I'm standing there half choking and looking like I'm going to pass out any second, almost did once.

It has it's uses.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

:P

Postby k9ruby » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:33 pm

I am also VERY ticklish, particularly on the soles of my feet-the slightest touch and I'll be hysterical! In

Same here lol. But I LOVE having my feet squeezed really hard...

:P :P :P :D :D :lol: :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Alice wrote:
My favourite christmas party trick is to take a sip of mulled wine and tell you what country the oranges come from, and I've yet to be wrong.

Woah that is crazy but good crazy.

I find a lot of scents too mcuh, and certain parts of my body if even lightly touched I jump a mile
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby ~Jenny~ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:58 pm

I'm basically the opposite of that, I have quite a poor sense of smell and I will not be able to smell some of the milder smells that other people can smell easily, also with stronger smells I don't think I always smell them quite as strongly as other people (although I have no way to prove that)
~Jenny~
Forum Master

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:12 pm

I love the smell of fresh paper (just had to open a fresh reem of paper as my printer is out)

I also love various smells that others say they can't or don't tolerate
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:22 pm

I love the smell of fresh paper too! Also I love sniffing new magazines when I buy them-when other people see me do this, they look at me really stangely but I just can't get enough of it!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:27 pm

I smell evreything it drives evreyone mad- i mostly think i can permanantly smell sick or dog poo or fart of something and am constantly blaming people for farting (even though they say thier innocent) I SMELL IT, I SMELL IT! i also smell foods before eating them to 'check' thier ok, but overall yeah i'd say i so pick up alot of smells...lol!
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby druchi » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:43 pm

i gag at the smell of the chip shops
i choke at the smell of some peoples perfume/deodrent
almost die at the smell of boiling eggs

only a few i cna think of just now :P
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:29 pm

I could LIVE in a chip shop. The smell really entrances me and my stomach.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:31 pm

Bladen wrote:I could LIVE in a chip shop. The smell really entrances me and my stomach.

I adore the smell of chip shops always find the smell is better than the taste
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:31 pm

OH yeah, definitely.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat