Can you "smell" things other people don't seem to?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Do you

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 47

Re: Can you "smell" things other people don't seem to?

Postby drama-queen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:41 am

I have acute sense of smell, and also acute sense of hearing
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." - Helen Keller
drama-queen
Super Poster

Postby HairyLemon » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:21 pm

I seem to have the opposite problem. I have an undersensitive sense of smell i can usually stand smells others can't. Quite a few people i know have asked if i had a poor sense of smell especially when i have my lunch because i normally have salmon or egg sandwitches. But i do have quite sensitive skin though i hate being touched lightly.
Imagination is more important than knowledge
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby Xenavire » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:02 pm

I have a very acute sense of smell, but I never new it was so different from everyone else until recently.

I can literally smell watermelon or cucumber being cut, from the opposite side of the room, and sometimes several rooms away.
Stuff like onion and mushrooms frying get me bad too, and I always know when onion has been cut, same with capsicum, and lots of other veggies.

My sense of taste is quite astounding at times too; I can almost always taste onion if its in my food, along with basically anything else I can't eat (theres a lot of fruits/veggies I just cant stomach, sadly...)

But my sense of hearing is quite impared. I often have to ask people to repeat themselves. My eyesight is poor, but I have learned a lot of tricks about controlling my eyes in ways people generally cant.

And my sense of touch was very acute once upon a time, and still is quite sensitive now. I am almost never touched by anyone, but every time I am, I feel uncomfortable.

I wish sometimes that my senses were just normal, so it isn't like having a supernose and tastebuds, and yet not hear/see anything.
My name is Merlin... what more need I say?
Xenavire
Super Poster

Postby mattlovesjess » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:28 pm

i get that abit. i can smell pepers and magazines like you said and i can smell cigirates being lit alomst instantly (worst smell ever!!!) and lots of smells just smell really strong (my old street stunk of garlic due to the take away shop on the street! :lol:)
Mattie_199106@ hotmail.co.uk

www.bebo.com/falloutboyrule2k7
mattlovesjess
Forum Master

Postby greggy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:23 pm

I often think i can smell stuff others dont, but im not sure if i actually can or wether i just notice it more
Dyspraxia might restrict some of my capabilitys

But it also heightens my awareness :)
greggy
Advanced Member

Postby Alice » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:42 am

I smell anything I'm curious about, even if I know it will only smell of plastic. The worst is brightly coloured things, I find it hard not to pick them up and smell them. I can smell most dyes, so smelling the same thing in 5 different colours makes more sense than you may think.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby darkrose287 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:54 am

I can smell stuff on people. Hangovers smell. Drunk people smell. People smell of their last meal :D
I can smell people on me , like if theyve given me a hug or something, but I cant stand to be touched gently, it actually feels like it burns.
More oddly, I dont seem to feel pain at all, which is bad when you walk into stuff quite reguarly, then your parents ask you why youre bruised and you have no idea.
darkrose287

Postby Page » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:05 am

I don't think I commented on this yet. (I went back and checked.. those nested quotes earlier in the thread were really getting out of hand! :) )

My sense of smell is below average, but it is mostly due to physical damage. Let me explain.

When I was younger, I once took a football/soccer ball right in the face (I'll never know if it was deliberate or not) and it seemed to have broken something in my nose because since then I've been barely able to smell anything or even breathe through my nose for that matter. Allergies make it even worse. To smell something, I have to get very close to it or the smell has to be very strong.

If I can smell something closely, it is very intense and I can separate it into its components. I also have an excellent sense of taste, which is closely related to smell.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Max Meads » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:44 pm

I can smell:

The heat from electrical devices if they have been on for a while
A bacon sarnie [i can sniff them from a mile away! :lol: ]
Cigarette smoke from around 20 metres away
Off milk [if it's going off, I wont pour it on my cereal]
Farts: one i dont like as i smell them b4 everyone else

I am: THE SNIFFER DOG. :mrgreen:
Max Meads

Postby Max Meads » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:44 pm

I can also smell metal and blood lol :shock:
Max Meads

Postby wm1995 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:00 am

I seem to have a terrible sense of smell, because people ask me if I smell something and I can't. However, I can smell oranges from several rooms away, and I can smell pasta from three floors away. Since smell and taste are related, I thought that I might add that I can taste the difference in water (which could be because I drink between three and four litres a day of water), although it is subtle and much harder with cold water. I disliked the water on the sailing trip so much that I had to buy about twenty pounds worth of bottled water, of which four bottles were the best, the M&S water was quite good and one of which was terrible. Zephyrhills water in Florida is the best sort to me.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby evilmuffet » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:57 pm

I've got trouble smelling things really but sometimes when I do get that sense I smell burning, for some reason I'm always tasting macaroni and cheese which I haven't eaten in years. :?
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Postby Kat_Smith » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:31 am

Im always smelling things my friends cant, hehe its generally food lol one time my friend whos mum makes these gorgoes chicken sandwhich and occasionally lets me have some well she ate it then burped and she was behind me and coz i love that sandwhich i knew it was around and said " i smell something i like" and everyone burst out laughing twas quite funny

im also overly sensitive to heat, it tend sto be much hotter for me perticularly with hot water then for other people so other people tend to think im just being a biut of a wimp heh
Kat_Smith

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:58 pm

I have a very sensitive sense of smell, I smell some things so strong at times and people tell me that it's odourless but I smell it so strong. People think im mad.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Ooh, I hate it when people do that. I can remember being in an airport lounge at Heathrow with my parents, waiting to board the shuttle to Manchester. It was a very large lounge. Someone was smoking. I could smell it most distinctly. (This was long before public buildings started to ban smoking - I would have been about eleven or twelve.) I started to fret. I already felt airsick from the big flight from Saudi, and the smell of smoke was making me feel worse. My parents got quite exasperated. "Vicky, there is no one smoking in this room! The smoking lounge is all the way on the other side of the corridor!" I buried my head in my scarf, and I could still smell it. I felt ill.

Then my mum went up to the little cafe to get us something to drink. When she came back, she said to my dad, "There is someone smoking. They're over by that potted plant."

"Well, Vic couldn't possibly smell it from all the way over here."

"Believe me, I can," came my muffled voice from the scarf.

I still sometimes get people telling me, "But it's odourless!" No, it is not, it is IN MY NOSTRILS, and I want it out. Now. :evil:
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat