Caged In Chaos

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby Helen » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi all,
Just a reminder that Vicky's book 'Caged in Chaos' is available to buy from 3rd March. On 2nd March there is an article in The Times supplement magazine where Vicky is interviewed about her book. Vicky is a member of these forums and her book includes the experiences of others from this website too. You can pre-order your copy today from <a href='http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1843103478/qid%3D1107714151/202-2588687-6761469' target='_blank'>Amazon</a>. Please support Vicky and her efforts to raise awareness of dyspraxia. :)
Below is a synopsis of her book, taken from Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
‘I describe life with my hidden handicap as "lying diagonally in a parallel universe" – I'm always slightly out of step with everyone else...always with a skewed view of things. Luckily I now really enjoy life on a tilt.'
– From Chapter 1 of Caged in Chaos, Victoria Biggs

Written by a teenage dyspraxic, this inspiring book is a unique practical guide for dyspraxics and those around them struggling and determined to get to grips with the social, physical and psychological chaos caused by developmental co-ordination disorders (DCDs).

In her own conversational style, Victoria Biggs discusses both the primary effects of her ‘learning difference' – disorganization, clumsiness and poor short-term memory – and the secondary difficulties she and other dyspraxics encounter, including bullying, low self-esteem and loneliness. She offers down-to-earth advice on a wide range of issues, from body language, puberty, health and hygiene to family life and social skills. Personal stories and ‘this-is-what-it's-like-for-me' accounts from other dyspraxic adolescents are also included.

Her positive and practical approach and profound empathy with others in her situation make this book a must-read for dyspraxics, their parents and other family members, and for professionals working with them.
This we know the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby k9ruby » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:32 pm

*Hints to mum* for birthday! :D :D :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:46 pm

Thank you for pinning this, Helen. It's kind of you.

I am slightly apprehensive about what The Times journalist has written about me. She seemed very interested in the negative things that led to my abandoning Saudi Arabia for the UK - namely, bullying - and the emotional problems that I have encountered since, such as disordered eating. I answered perfectly honestly, but the interview rammed home to me the truth: my parents are going to read both this article and the book, and they don't even know I ever had anorexia. They have let slip comments that tell me they've had their suspicions, but they have no clue it actually went on for as long as it did.

But I couldn't keep those things secret forever. Perhaps telling a newspaper will alert more people to the fact that bullying does have very bad consequences - much of the population still seems to think that eating disorders are all about being thin. Not true. Not true at all.

This is probably not the right thread to discuss this, but I want to mention it while I'm thinking of it. There does seem to be a correlation between dyspraxia, autistic spectrum differences, and eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia nervosa. Has anyone on here suffered from disordered eating? (That's if you don't mind admitting it - I know how hard it is to speak out loud.)
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby Charlotte1 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:23 pm

Hello Vicky,

I have just been out and brought The Times and read your article-it's fantastic!!!

I haven't personally suffered from an eating disorder allthough I do have experience of knowing a couple of people who had similiar symptoms to the ones you had-don't want to go into any more detail as I want to respect their privacy.

I could completely identify with everything you said in the article-it could so easily have been written about me!

I am really looking forward to reading your book

Love Charlotte xx
Charlotte1
Forum Master

Postby slinky_malinki » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:47 pm

Thanks Charlotte - I'm touched. :)

My parents read the article and found it a bit heart-wrenching, naturally, but I have had so much positive feedback because of it - my seller rating on Amazon rocketed up from 79, 000 to 4, 000 over the course of the day! My publishers have also had several very nice phone calls from the parents of dyspraxic children, saying how much the article meant to them. One father apparently lives opposite the Education Minister Ruth Kelly and has bought her a copy of Caged in Chaos!

I feel a bit bemused by all this.

By the way, I will probably be on a television show called Richard and Judy a week on Monday. My head of sixth-form brought me the message today. I didn't have a clue who they were until everyone started shrieking and getting excited for me! I can't quite take all this in. I hope you all enjoy the book - I would never have written it without you all. :) Look in the acknowledgements as soon as you get your copies...many of the forum regulars will recognise themselves!
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:04 pm

the acknowledgements as soon as you get your copies...many of the forum regulars will recognise themselves!

*hints*

*hints*

*hints*

:lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Helen » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:18 pm

Have had the opportunity to read your article now. It is brilliant, with your intelligence and eloquence shining through. Also want to say that the photo of you is lovely....you are very beautiful and have a kind, gentle face.

Well done on all you have achieved and thank you for helping to bring dyspraxia to the world's attention.

Just waiting for my copy of the book now.

Lots of love,
Helen x
This we know the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby slinky_malinki » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:12 am

Thank you, Helen - I've never had so many nice adjectives applied to me before. :rolleyes: I hope you all enjoy the book.

You are mentioned, Ruby - have no fear of that! :D
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby slinky_malinki » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:35 pm

Thank you, Angel, that was a beautifully incisive piece of writing. It conveyed something of the frustration and loneliness that occasionally descends. I'm sorry that I didn't know you before I began to write, as I included lots of personal accounts from other dyspraxic people - Matthew and Charlotte were two of the best contributors, along with another girl named Hannah who doesn't seem to come on the site any more. It would have been good to include that.

I'm so glad that the article helped you. There is a chapter in the book called The Hidden People at Home that contains a subsection aimed at parents, which I wrote to help them understand the insider's perspective on dyspraxia. Your dad might want to look at that.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the book. I hope you enjoy it. :D
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:23 pm

You are mentioned, Ruby - have no fear of that!

Hey-thanks!!! Talking of hinting, i have now asked mum over 100 times can i have it for my birthday?

:lol:

thanks again, and il reveiw it on amazon when i have read it! ;)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:32 pm

Good to hear it. :) The librarian at my school has already written a lovely Amazon.co.uk book review - at least, I presume it must be her, because I don't know anyone else who had an advance copy and who lives in the Wirral! Have you seen it?
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:13 pm

il look in a minute! :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Darren » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:59 pm

I've just had a reply from Amazon, as my copy hadn't arrived this morning - apparantly the publishers have pushed back the publication date?? Do you know anything about this Vicky??

Looking forward to seeing you on Monday's Richard and Judy :D

Darren
Darren
Site administrator
http://www.darlen.co.uk
Darren
Super Poster

Postby k9ruby » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:04 pm

Yeah me too! Hey vicky, do u know my mums a midwife 2? ;)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:19 pm

Hey Darren and Ruby,

The publishers can't have pushed back the publication date, as two of my teachers ordered copies via Amazon and they arrived this morning! They brought the books to me to sign. Some of the boarders also went down to a bookshop in the town and found a couple of copies in there.

However, I do know that the book won't be coming out in America until April 30th. Did you place your order on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk? If you did order from .co.uk, they may have made a mistake.

I did see something on another topic thread about your mum being a midwife, Ruby. It's a wonderful job. :)
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat