Caged In Chaos

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby k9ruby » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:57 pm

Also if they need help with dyspraxia, they neeed to come HERE! :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:48 pm

You see, we are all fiercely loyal to the Hideout. :D

This may sound terrible, but neither I nor my special needs teacher see the point of the Dyspraxia Foundation. They publish a newsletter which is full of parents writing in to whinge about the bad treatment their children are receiving at school, they sell triangular-grip pencils etc., and they list the symptoms. But apart from that...? Why don't they advise the parents to do something productive, instead of encouraging them to preach to the converted?

Matt's leaflet, my book...two good awareness-raising vehicles. No response in Matthew's case, a very reluctant one in mine. A few months ago my special needs teacher rang them up to question them on how she should go about arranging university provision for me. (She has only been a support teacher for five years, and has never yet had to send a severely dyspraxic student off to university.) The person on the other end of the phone was about as useful as a barbershop in a Sikh village. Their whole philosophy seems to be geared towards people 'in charge'.

Those of you who have read Caged in Chaos will know of my friend Jamie's aversion to the label 'dyspraxia'. He picked up a book about co-ordination disorders and adolescence, showed it to me, and said, "How can you bear to submit to this kind of drivel? It should be called How to Herd Your DCD Adolescent." The first sad thing is that this book is by a prominent professional. The second sad thing is that I agree with him; too many professionals refuse to acknowledge that dyspraxic people, especially young ones, have a legitimate voice - they feel the need to speak for us.

The only reason dyslexia is so well publicised is thanks to the work of the British Dyslexia Association. There is a wealth of difference between www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk and www.bda-dyslexia.co.uk. Look at the sites. Can you tell why?
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby SomeT1 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:22 pm

Slinky malinki I agree with you about the dyspraxia foundation, ive contacted them a few times and they have never replied, I am still trying to get assesed properly for dyspraxia, my doctor says I should be getting a phone call about my assesment which I have not yet recieved :angry: and also I have a college interview next week so I am thinking about asking them if they can give me a assesment for dyspraxia.
SomeT1
Advanced Member

Postby slinky_malinki » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:39 pm

Perhaps we should write a polite letter asking them to outline the support they intend to start providing for young people? Currently there's an Adult Support Group, a Parents' Support Group, but no Teenage Support Group. And when you are taking some of the most important exams of your life, coping with dizzying social transitions, trying to look after a growing body, and attempting to gain some sort of independence all at the same time, you could probably do with a bit of support!

But even if they did establish something, it could never compete with this esteemed forum with which I am most delighted to be affiliated. :)
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby slinky_malinki » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:39 pm

P.S. Can you tell I have been reading a Victorian novel?!
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby annie » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:38 pm

Hi there, Rubys mum, Annie here. Although I read the forum regularly, I've never worked out how to post a message-so here goes!! I've just read your book Vicki, and I just wanted to say how wonderful it is. Rubys dad is next, then brother and then grandparents!! Your warmth and humour shone out of the pages, I enjoyed every bit of it, and some of the practical tips were wondeful. Ruby has never been able to sleep without aduvet, even in the height of summer because she needs 'the pressure', so it was really interesting to see you using the same word. Hope it's a best seller! Annie
annie

Postby rachel » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:47 pm

Iwhat to get it
rachel
Splendiferous Member

Postby benjnottingham » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:15 pm

Hi Vicky,
I read an review of the book on an website ,can't remember what the site was called.
Ben :)
B Jackson
benjnottingham
Splendiferous Member

Postby slinky_malinki » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:51 pm

Thank you all :D I'm glad that it's proving helpful.

I believe the review was published on the website of The Times Educational Supplement. It can be reached through the publishers' site (www.jkp.com). It is currently featured on their homepage.
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby madame_tigre » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:59 pm

I've just started reading Caged in Chaos and am really enjoying it! :)
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby k9ruby » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:15 pm

I've reveiwed it on amazon!! about what you said about theres no teen support groups, well me and matt are trying to combat that (we may be starting up our own mk/northants one for 10-18 year olds!) but we cant get the adresses until mum renews her membership with the dyspraxia foundation, then we will be sending a letter out!!!!

You will proubley get something like this:

Northampton/MK Dyspraxia
Group

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to inform you that you may be interested to know for my service part of my Bronze Duke of Edingborough Award that I (Ruby Welsford) am looking to begin a Northants/MK Dyspraxia get together group aimed at older children and teenagers aged 10-18.

I am looking to organising a initial (informal!) meeting just to allow ourselves to get to know each other and to look at ideas for group activity’s that we would like your ideas for (please can you complete the mini questionnaire attached!) !!!

Many thanks,

Yours Sincerely,

Ruby Welsford

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please fill in this questionnaire below if you are interested in joining a Northants/MK Dyspraxia group and send it or E-Mail it to me. Thanks!

Your Name: …………………

Your age …

Your Tel. No. .

Your Address:________________________________________

Your E-Mail: ________________@_________.

What main things are you interested in? (Give brief details!)

________________________________________________________.

Would you enjoy the following?

Bowling Yes/No

Swimming Yes/No

Pantomimes Yes/No

Ice Skating Yes/No

Tobogganing Yes/No

Snowboarding Yes/No

What other activity’s would interest you? (Please give details)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:37 pm

That's a great idea! :D

I think you should write, "Cakes will be available." Nothing reels people in more than the promise of a nice slice of cake. I have a dyspraxic friend who lives in Northamptonshire (Kettering) and she would be on board in a minute at the mere suggestion of ginger cake...

Perhaps this will inspire other board members to do something similar in their areas. I will bear the idea in mind for when I go to university. Strange as it may sound, I will probably have more free time there than I do now. (It comes of trying to take twice the recommended number of A-Levels.)
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:55 pm

Yummmmm cakkkkke!!!! Give me a choclate brownie anyday! :P
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:43 am

I've just been fantasising about different cakes and I now feel fat. :unsure:

I think your ice skating project is an excellent plan. Be sure to give the rink advance warning, though, otherwise a platoon of the very unco-ordinated turning up at the leisure centre might cause pandemonium on the ice!
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby mumof3 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:35 pm

I have just ordered the book and hope to recieve it in a few days. I am looking foward to reading it. Rachel is also looking foward to reading it.
mumof3
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat