PE- Come on, own up!

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Have you ever tried to get out of PE..

Yes
69%
No
22%
Once
9%

Total votes : 54

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:30 pm

I never skipped P.E, although I was "ill" on sports day more than once (with parental consent.) I also sat down in the feild and refused to play several times. Weirdly enough, I liked cross country (which almost everyone else hated.) I was less bad at it than at other sports, but was still no good.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:49 pm

I used to skive PE or make up excuses not to do it on a regular basis, which was unusual for me - ordinarily I was such a serious and conscientious student. People accused me of being addicted to rules. But PE and the attendant frustration made me feel so anxious and sick that I couldn't go through with it, especially when the bullying was at its peak.

I used to pretend to have bad periods (the school matron would always write me a note, not suspecting that I would lie) or else hide in the sick bay. There were so many students in the PE class that it was difficult for the teachers to keep track of us all. When we had to go to the sports centre to use their facilities I would double back on the way.

When I was fifteen I got excused from PE permanently, so the problem was solved. I had extra tuition in maths during some lessons (not exactly fun and games either, but necessary) and saw my occupational therapist in others.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:37 am

I rescheduled my flute lessons to "really the only lesson I can afford to miss" I was natrually slow at getting changed and was sometimes let out early to get changed for my next lesson, so by the time I'd come back from my flute lesson, gotten the key from my PE teacher, gotten changed even slower than ussual, and then come back, it was usually time to go.

I used to have to wear spare PE kit when I forgot mine because the teacher thought I was doing it on perpouse. Even though I have a shoe size 5EEEE, I feel uncomfortable wearing skirts above knee length (I always brought shorts, and decent ones at that) and the detergent the PE department uses brought me out in hives and exma.

One substitute PE teacher even made me run on a foot that had been impaled on a spike the previous day (don't ask how :roll: ) just because the note said I might be able to do a little PE if it didn't start acting up. Even though hardly any of them like me PE class was apaulled, most of them had seen me get quite badly hurt, but few of them had seen me cry.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Keeko » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:59 am

I never used to do PE. I would always get my mum to write me a note but eventually she got sick of writing notes for me every week so then I refused to do PE. Then that excuse nearly got me suspended so I resorted to saying I forgot my kit every week.
In the end it became obvious that I didn't forget, so I ended up saying to the teachers that I couldn't be bothered to bring it. They had given up by that time! :D
Keeko
Keeko
Super Poster

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:24 pm

I hated PE, in primary school I was always finding ways to get out of it, then in high school got out of it iwth medical notes from year 8 till end opf year 11.
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

:)

Postby k9ruby » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:05 pm

I used to skive PE or make up excuses not to do it on a regular basis, which was unusual for me - ordinarily I was such a serious and conscientious student. People accused me of being addicted to rules. But PE and the attendant frustration made me feel so anxious and sick that I couldn't go through with it, especially when the bullying was at its peak.

I used to pretend to have bad periods (the school matron would always write me a note, not suspecting that I would lie) or else hide in the sick bay. There were so many students in the PE class that it was difficult for the teachers to keep track of us all. When we had to go to the sports centre to use their facilities I would double back on the way.

When I was fifteen I got excused from PE permanently, so the problem was solved. I had extra tuition in maths during some lessons (not exactly fun and games either, but necessary) and saw my occupational therapist in others.

My word! Vicky bunking PE! Who would of thought!

I know, I was like that aswell, - as I was usually committed to every lesson (Apart from PE) so I was very unsuspecting.

I resorted to this because of loads of bullying issues that wern't being addressed, and I also felt sick and shakey when I knew I was going to go out and do something I was hopeless at, had no talent for, in a crowd of people, dedicated to humilating me at every oppurtunity.

Vicky, I've also been told I listen to rules too much, so you are definatly not the only one there!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:18 pm

I don't think I've ever tried to get out of p.e. unless there was a real reason, but in the middle of year 11 we were aloud to choose what we what to do so my friends and i did things that weren't too bad, and at the end our techers let us revise for exams, so we did that every lesson untll we finnished. Now, at collage, we don't have to do p.e.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Andy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:26 pm

I know this is terrible but I got so much bullying and hassles in P.E that on more than one occassion I put my knee brace on and told the teacher that my knee had "popped" again Ill probablly rot in hell for my deciet but it worked. :twisted:
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby intowiz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:32 pm

i was the opposite to vicky, i didnt really like following some of the rules and i was in the lowest sets for maths and english ( strange to me but ohwell) so the kids in my class would muck about, which sometimes i joined in on but when it came to sports even though i was crap at it i worked hard at it even when there was an arse teacher or we were doing something that i disliked, i even used to get naffed off at some of the kids who bunked off it.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:46 am

Most of my PE teachers were pretty nice so I never tried to get out of it. I actually liked some of the activities we did because they always just wanted us to do our best and it didn't matter how well we did things. I remember doing the gymnastics unit and I was horrible at it, but my teacher in 7th grade (12 years old), helped me do a routine that was at my level. It was actually fun because I felt like I was achieving something and I got to dance to the "Titanic" cd, which was one of my favorite cds at the time.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Joss1991 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Junior school I missed half the lesssons for learning support :)

I did PE from year 7- 10 and the 1st term of Year 11

Now i just dont turn up and he doesnt care as im not the only one
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby littlemadangel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:11 pm

No because I had a strict teacher and there was no point in even trying to get out of it cos she would have made me do it anyway. She knew I wasnt very good at it but I'd always have go anyway even if I did hate it.

And if we forgot our PE kit, then she had lotsa spare ones.
littlemadangel
Super Poster

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:55 pm

I used to love PE but I'm fed up with it. It's either doing nothing or football. I think it's pretty obvious which option I do. I hide out in the changing room with the other girls who don't want to do PE until it's safe :lol: But this has nothing to do with dyspraxia, of course.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cartouche » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:56 am

MontyDyspraxia wrote:I used to love PE but I'm fed up with it. It's either doing nothing or football. I think it's pretty obvious which option I do. I hide out in the changing room with the other girls who don't want to do PE until it's safe :lol: But this has nothing to do with dyspraxia, of course.

I envy your changing rooms.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Postby Chinagirl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:34 am

i have a new pe teacher. she is horrible. she keeps telling me to work harder and keeps asking how i can possibly not like pe. she is the kind of person who thinks she is always right and if she likes pe everone else HAS to as well.
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat