Driving

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby david456 » Mon May 30, 2005 10:13 pm

Automatics are supposed to be easier as there is less to concentrate on, just the peddles and the wheel i'm told. I'm scared stiff. My mates can either drive or are learning and it has cost them over £1000 pounds before they even have a car. I'm not so worreid about my driving, but there are so many idiots on the roads who cause accidents by driving too fast or/and doing stupid things. I'm scared that one of them might hit me.
Don't know when I'm going to give it a go, cars are a powerful and expensive machine
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:24 am

Automatics are great!! My dad lets me drive his when he is in the car with me (I am not completely trusted on my own yet). I have been driving for a year and 4 months!! Well, actually since I was 16, but my liscence to drive I got when I was almost 18. I wasn't ready to drive yet because I was scared and not very good. I have gotten much better and maybe this summer I will go drive to the grocery store by myself!!! :lol:
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wizzpopp » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:34 pm

Hi,

I learnt to drive a manual in the UK when I was 17 (6 years ago now). It took me a long time to get to grips with the coordination between the gear stick and the clutch, but I passed my test first time. I had about 50 lessons before I took my test which is quite a lot but all the practice meant I had properly mastered it before I took the exam.

Try and do your test in a manual if you can as then you can drive any car you want. Whreas is you pass in an automatic you can only ever drive automatics, which tend to be more exzpensive to run andbuy.

Wizpop
wizzpopp

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:44 pm

Yeah. I wish I did know manual, as some of the cars here are still manual cars. Most of them are made to be automatics. Automatics are more common here in America. :D
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Helen » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:06 pm

I learnt to drive in an automatic and still one drive now. I do not have dyspraxia and drive an auto becasue I have a bad knee and using a clutch is painful. I love driving an auto and can't understand why people drive manuels when autos are available in most car models. Yes, they are a little more expensive to purchase intially, but they are not more expensive to run and auto transmissions are brilliant now, no loss of power and very smooth. When I have to ride as a passenger in amnuel, boy do I notice what a bumpy ride it is!! ;)

I would say that if you have dyspraxia it is very worth considering learning and passing in an auto to begin with. You then have no clutch and gears to worry about and have more time to concentrate on everything else. Once you are a competent driver, you could always have a few manuel lessons and then take a test to gain a manuel licence. Although, I think once you have driven an auto, you won't feel the need. ;) :D
This we know the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby wizzpopp » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:56 pm

Ok, Manuals tend to be more tricky, but they are a lot more fun! You can drop gears, build up revs etc
wizzpopp

Postby Fangs » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:39 am

Hi

I passed my driving test on my second attempt.
I drive an automatic and I personnally dont see the attraction in driving a manual.
I was very nervous before I took driving lessons (1 a week for 1 and a half years!) but after I found the right instructor who actually understood what dyspraxia was and how it affected my ability to learn to drive my lessons were brilliant

To those who are thinking of taking driving lessons go for it! I was told by many people that i would never be able to drive so being the stubborn person I am i took lessons and passed my test just to prove them wrong. My advice would be to find a patient instructor who understands dyspraxia (they do exist I had one)

Suzanne
Fangs

Postby david456 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:59 pm

I am going to learn to drive, probubly in a manual, one less peddle and no gear stick suits me fine. My mate wants to do his test, he has been told October at the earliest is when they can fit him in. It's now July!
You Americans are lucky, almost all of your cars are automatic. Automatics are still relatively new over here. Some cars give you are option of manual or automatic, especially the expensive cars. Maybe I will have to buy one of those!

May get an automatic, get confident and then do a test in a manual, because it won't take long to take the new skills on board.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby anwencelia » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:49 am

<span style='color:purple'>I'm really not sure if I will ever drive. I would love to, but I am VERY dyspraxic, and I sort of wonder if it is beyond me. At the same time, I believe in the philosphy "attitude is everything." It would be really useful if I could drive, but since I have trouble with perception (those telephone poles and ditches seem really close to me), can never remember which is the gas and which is the brake pedel, and my steering ability is very poor (not to mention I get left and right mixed up), I'm not really sure if it is a very realistic goal. I'm an American, and my state has really strict driving requirements, including a mandatory forty hours behind the wheel with a parent (regardless of your age, and in addition to driving with an instructor), classes, and some other stuff, so that in itself is a challenge for me. Driving really scares me! If I could get over feeling scared, maybe it wouldn't be so bad... I guess being terrified of it is my main problem! Having said all that, if you feel like driving is a possiblity for you, go for it! -Alice</span>
anwencelia
Power Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:37 pm

I think it is good to know both, although I only know automatic. My big sister learned to drive auto in driver's ed class at school and with our van. Then she learned stick with our old Honda (which is now in the junkyard, :( because it was very old and started breaking down). Now my sister knows how to drive both, so if she ever has to operate a stick shift (getting more unlikely these days with hybrids and automatics everywhere) then she can. :D I wish I knew how, but it took my sister a long time to learn stick, so I suspect it would take me much longer. <_<
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat