Jobs

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby Creative » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:16 pm

I hope I didn't sound like I was critisising people with down's syndrome as that wasn't my itention. I was just interested in the issue.

I know of someone with learning difficulties who got a full time job in Morrisons as soon as he left school. I wouldn't have been able to get any full time job when I left school.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Creative wrote:I hope I didn't sound like I was critisising people with down's syndrome as that wasn't my itention. I was just interested in the issue.

I know of someone with learning difficulties who got a full time job in Morrisons as soon as he left school. I wouldn't have been able to get any full time job when I left school.

I know that you didn't mean to criticise people with Down's Syndrome, Creative. However, I do think that you're placing a little too much faith in anecdotal evidence. Just because one person with learning difficulties is able to get a full-time job in Morrison's as soon as he leaves school and somebody with Down's Syndrome works part-time in John Lewis doesn't mean that all or even most people with similar difficulties find it similarly easy to get work. The employment rate for people with learning disabilities in this country is 26%. That is a very low figure.

From what you have said previously, your inability to go straight into employment after school was due to your fragile mental health. Mental health difficulties do make it much harder for people to get into work, irrespective of whether they have a disability or not.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Yes that is true that my mental health difficuties meant I couldn't get a job at age 16. However I may not have had these problems quite so severly if the school had been more supportive of my dyspraxia.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Dyspraxia probably did contribute significantly to your mental health difficulties, which led to your not being able to get a job when you left school. But while it is possible to link the two, there is no direct causal relationship between dyspraxia and mental health problems. Because of this, there is no guarantee that all (or even most) dyspraxic people will develop mental health problems that will make finding work harder for them than if they had learning disabilities. It seems as though you are trying to construct a kind of this-is-the-house-that-Jack-built scenario that is logically impossible to sustain. It also doesn't take into account the fact that people with learning disabilities can develop mental health problems too. They're not an exclusively dyspraxic preserve.

I know that finding work can be a very difficult and upsetting process for people with SpLDs. I certainly don't mean to trivialise your own problems in this area. However, I don't think that we have any grounds for saying that dyspraxic people have more difficulties with getting a job than people with learning disabilities.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Vicky is right-a significant part of the MENCAP training I went through dealt with depression and self neglect/self injury-people with learning disabilities who grew up in the time when their only option was a large sprawling institution which didn't take their human rights into consideration at all (one man who grew up in such an institution was not allowed to attend his mother's funeral-another was detained in a locked "punishment" room for 5 months simply for tearing a page out of a book) often go on to develop depression. Unfortunately the nature of mental health problems is precisely that they can strike anyone at any time.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Creative » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:47 pm

I wish I had never started this discussion in the first place.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby druchi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:06 pm

Well you did.

I think its fascianting that part about the MENCAP training.
I think i shall be looking into that at some point.
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:24 pm

I think that it has been an interesting discussion. I did not mean to make you feel upset or agitated, Creative. :( I apologise if this was the case.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:31 am

I know you didn't mean to upset me Vicky. It was the house that jack built bit that did.
Creative
Forum God !

Re: Jobs

Postby whizz pop bang » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:58 am

ive been trying to get a job for ages, i did get a job in a fish and chip shop but i got laid off because i was forgetting orders, forgetting to take money, taking a while to work out change and generally being slow, since then i have been let down soooo many times ive nearly given up but i have been told about a project in cornwall that needs paid volunteers to help with caring for people with special needs in the holidays, it is mainly children and i think i would be good especially for a person with a learning difficulty.

i hope to get the job as i would like to work with children with special needs as a possible career also may be a paramedic but im not doing too well with the driving of a car never mind a bloody ambulance!!
to sleep, no more and by sleep we say end the heartache- hamlet
whizz pop bang
Advanced Member

Postby award » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:08 am

as a temp job until i can find an IT job for me i am working in a camping and caravan store called towsure in southampton , the manager there is dyslexic and dyspraxic the same as me and he is very supportive and the team there are so nice as well.
-------------------------------------
Adam
award
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:48 am

That project in Cornwall sounds like a fantastic opportunity for you, Whizzpopbang. I hope you get it. I volunteered at a special needs playscheme for a couple of months in my university town and I now work full time with teenagers with epilepsy, learning disabilities and behavioural problems so I'm here if you want any pointers.
Steph
Forum God !

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat