Livng With Dyspraxia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby david456 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:34 pm

I feel as though it has been a long journey to get to where I am today, but I finally feel, as though I may just make it. I started off as the shyiest person you were likely to ever meet. I wouldn't talk to anyone and I hated going to school I used to make myself sick and end up in tears every morning without fail. I think this had alot to do with being bullied. I just didn't have the self esteem to stand up to them. I was unable to tie my shoe lases properly play sports, swim, write and my hand eye coordination wasn't good and It didn't help when few teachers could be bothered to understand me or the condition.

The tears stopped when I was about 11, but I still got worked up about going to schooll until I reached year nine at school. I started to gain confidence when I left the school I was being bullied and found everyone at my new school fantastic. There were a couple of boys that picked on me, but the teachers made sure it didn't happen again and I was well protected and had my own friends. The big test was going to senior school. I was the only person from my school going there.
Going was the scariest thing I have ever had to do and maybe this was a turning point that I didn't realise at the time.
I made friends gradually and became more and more relaxed. I told my best mate of my condition, but I didn't tell anyone else. My teachers knew of the problem and some did their very best to understand my needs and what I would need help on, others didn't care. I was bullied though still, but I could stand up for myself now and I defended myself against someone who kept bullying me, that was the last time he or anyone else have layed a finger on me.
Now I'm at college and only one lecturer knows of my condition. I feel that I don't really have it anymore. I'm not ashamed of Dyspraxia, but I do fear being labelled. I have had to work twice as hard as people at college to keep up with them and this has got me good grades. I always give 110% though.
I won't tell you what course I am doing, If you haven't already lost interest in my story, then please email me. I'd love to give advice to children and adults on the condition and how things can improve your spacial awareness. 7 years old or 37
Thanks
David
david456
Mega Poster

Postby SpursFan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:51 pm

I thought that was a very interesting first post David. It also gives some much needed encouragement to children and teenagers with dyspraxia who feel that things, particularly social skills, will not improve with age.

Most of the social problems that you mentioned are also problems that most people with dyspraxia suffer from, including me. Despite the fact that I'm now 22, I still find that I have very weak social skills. Of course, the only way to deal with this is by getting out and meeting people. This may sound easy, but I personally have found this very difficult.

Welcome to the forum. Your advice should prove very useful to the younger members in particular.

Matt.
SpursFan
Super Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:21 am

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, you are also very kind to offer advice to other dyspraxics. I had quite a lot of the same problems as you had - particuarly shyness.

I hope you enjoy this forum and I hope you post again!
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:20 pm

Hey David, Shanna here. I have had a lot of the same problems as you. I am still shy, although I used to be very, very, shy for most of my childhood. I still get nervous at dances and parties and I still get nervous paying for food at Wendy's. Sports were hard too, especially swimming. It took me 2 years to pass Level 2!! I was the oldest person in my swim class when I graduated from lessons at age 14. I enjoy playing sports, but I definitely have had trouble with coordination in sports, especially soccer. Baseball is hard, but it is more learned because you have to hit the ball at exactly the right time. I was in soccer for many years in the park district at home and my skills improved. I still was not the best at it, though. I will never be a Mia Hamm or a David Beckham. I also had bike troubles. In my town, most kids rode bikes at age 5 or 6, but I could not ride a two wheeler for the life of me until I was in 4th grade (age 9 or 10)!! <_< I really liked your first post and I hope that you continue to post on the forum! It is a wonderful place. Also, you can check out the dyspraxic teens website if you haven't already.

Your Friendly Chicago Cub (Baseball team) Fan,
Shanna, age 19, Illinios, USA :P
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat