Any One Famous Please?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby david456 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:31 pm

I wondered if any one knows of any famous peole with Dyspraxia. There are loads of famosu Dyslexics, but it would be good to here of famous Dyspraxics doing well for themselves. Does anyone know of any in USA or UK?
I did a search on google and found no one.
Thanks
David
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:46 pm

No, but I can look them up. :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:56 pm

I found out that Sting campaigns about it a lot and the world's most famous photgrapher has it. I cannot remember his name, although I read it on a website. Can't really find any film or singing celebrities. Probably it is because people are not diagnosed or something. A lot of them have dyslexia and ADD, so they might have dyspraxia too. I dunno. :unsure: I hope we can find some more though. I am still looking if Sting actually has it or if he just campaigns about it.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby david456 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:11 pm

Now you come to mention it Sting does ring a bell. I know he used to be a teacher.
I just think it would be cool to find some of these celebs to see if they have written or published details on how they achieved their success.
David Bailey is the photographer my Mum told me that one. Think he may be the right one?
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:41 am

Yeah, that's what the site says. It is nice that Sting seems to understand about dyspraxics. Is he one, do you know?? ;)
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Helen » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:55 am

Apparently Sting's son has dyspraxia. So what I want to know is why is Sting not signed up on our forum???? ;)
This we know the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby david456 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:11 am

Do you reckon he would if he knew about it? It would be cool if more people could benefit from this website.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Helen » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:34 pm

I wonder that myself David. :unsure: Matt has loads of hits to his site, but many never sign up to the forum or even if they do, never post. :(
The more people who join in the better. We have so much to learn from you all. :D
This we know the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.
Helen
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:34 pm

Yeah, I agree. More people would know about dyspraxia then maybe too.
David456 wrote:Do you reckon he would if he knew about it? It would be cool if more people could benefit from this website.
:)
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Philip » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:49 pm

I agree with the comments.

The most people who know about dyspraxia the better it will be for all people with it. It is a condition which we cannot help having.

I think the foum will go even further in time with more members and more important and key topics.

Philip
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby slinky_malinki » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:38 pm

Historical Figures Who Had Dyspraxia

Samuel Taylor Coleridge started out as a student at Cambridge University, but his extreme disorganisation caused him to drop out without completing his degree. He joined the army instead, but was so clumsy he could never learn to fire a musket and had such poor balance that he continually fell off his horse! In the end he began to write poetry, especially ballads and epics. He is now remembered as one of the Romantic movement's greatest poets, but in his lifetime he found it difficult to cope with the fame - he was very socially awkward and struggled to make friends and interact with other people.

G.K. Chesterton was a very popular author of detective novels (they have since become classics) and one of the Catholic Church's leading theologians. At school he was a terrible sportsman. His teachers described him as 'a slow and awkward boy...who has a possible career as either an idiot or a genius'. He had such a notorious short-term memory that he often arrived in a place and couldn't think why he was there. He once sent a telegram to his wife, reading: "Am at Market Harborough. Where ought I to be?"

Emily Bronte was the bestselling writer of the haunting novel Wuthering Heights. She is thought to have had Asperger's syndrome. She hardly ever spoke to anyone and chose to end her life in total solitude, enjoying her own company far better than anyone else's. She would often roam the moors alone. Her schooldays were miserable and she made few friends. Her writing was criticised because it completed flouted social codes of the time. If Emily really did have AS, she would never have understood this. Speaking after her sister's death, Charlotte Bronte wrote of Emily, "An interpreter ought always to have stood between her and the world." Maria Bronte, who died young, is thought to have been dyspraxic - she is immortalised forever in the character of Helen Burns. (Read Jane Eyre).

According to the Dyspraxia Foundation, there are two modern-day celebrities other than David Bailey who have dyspraxia. My special needs teacher wanted to know their names so she could put their photos on the wall of her classroom, but the Foundation is bound by confidentiality not to leak their names without permission.
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby Matt » Mon May 02, 2005 8:48 am

Winston Churchill was apparently Dyspraxic! :P You can't get much more famous than him! :D
Matt
Site Admin

Location: Milton Keynes, England, Europe, Earth. You may have heard of it....

Postby SomeT1 » Mon May 02, 2005 5:12 pm

I think it is quite ironic that winston churchill had dyspraxia and he got the country to win world war 2 etc, but I bet no one knew he had it then, its quite strange I bet if you put Winston Churchill in todays popular culture he would not have lasted two seconds, its strange that.
SomeT1
Advanced Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon May 02, 2005 5:55 pm

I dunno. Tom Cruise has Dyslexia, like I said before, Gwen Stefani (from No Doubt) has ADHD, so does Mark Hall (lead singer of Christian contemporary band Casting Crowns), and James Earl Jones (Star Wars, The Sandlot, Field of Dreams, Lion King) has a stutter and people still are accepting them. I think it would just depend on which person you talked to. Also, Michael J. Fox has Parkinson's disease and Christopher Reeve (Superman) was quadriplegic. People still look up to them even though they have had disabilities. I think people look up to you more sometimes when they figure out how much you have been through. B) :)
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby madame_tigre » Tue May 03, 2005 4:28 pm

I've also heard that Albert Einstein had traits of Dyspraxia ;)
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat