Success Stories

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby david456 » Sun May 01, 2005 8:58 pm

I am feeling a little down at the moment. I've got a big project to finish and I am taking a year out to get work experience before doing a course next year (2006) : which I'm worried about, as the experience is hard to find.
Do any of you out there have any success stories about getting your dream job and just how you did it? It would cheer me up abit to know.
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Ruth » Wed May 04, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi

Great big scary thing trying to organise a career!

What cousre are yoyu going to do? and what experience are you looking for?

People I know who have a 'dream job' seem to fall into two camps.
1. Those who know what they wanted to do and just kept doing courses, phoning people ( or writing) volunteering to work for free to get experience and not giving up, even when it takes them years.
2. those lucky souls whose job comes and hits them on the head! :blink:

I am interested to know how you go so keep us posted! Good luck :)

Ruth
Ruth
Super Poster

Postby david456 » Wed May 04, 2005 6:43 pm

I'm doing a media course. I want to work in televison or radio. I've written to just about everyone you can imagine looking for experience. I work at a radio station helping out on a regular basis, I've done this voluntarily for nearly a year, but it doesn't seem to matter what I do, as the bigger stations, just don't seem to want to know. I want to be a sports reporter ideally, but I want to be able to multi task. I've done some editing work in TV on my course and at the radio station.

I have tried getting TV experience as well, but i'm either too young or I don't get a response. :(
david456
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed May 04, 2005 8:40 pm

Hey David. Just to try to cheer you up a little, don't give up. I am in a rut about major decisions on careers after college, but I am trying different classes. Here are some people who did not give up on their dream careers: Steven King, the great author started writing at age 12 and sent in one of his scary stories to a science magazine. He got it sent back and they didn't publish it. He got many others sent back, but finally, he sent in Carrie in the 1980s and he got published!! The rest is history. That is the way it was with JK Rowling also when she sent Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone to many different agents before Christopher Little found her and liked the story. There are many more stories like this. Micheal Jordan, the great Chicago Bulls basketball star, is rumored to have been cut from his high school basketball team. He is arguably the most famous NBA player ever. Don't give up, because there will be someone who will like you and will hire you. It may be for something you don't expect and it may happen when you least expect it, so keep your chin up.

"When I am stuck with a day, that's gray, and lonely, I just stick out my chin, and grin, and say, oh, the sun will come out tomorrow." -from Annie the musical.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Ruth » Tue May 10, 2005 8:34 pm

Yep thats a toughy alright.

Friend of a froend wants to go to RADA. They liked her audition and said she was talented!! and asked her to come back when she had had some life experience! ( weird way of saying to young I guess)

I have a friend who does voice overs. She just got an agent by sending samples of her work on a cd to all the voice over agents!

Met a lass who got into journalism by writing anything and everything she could think of and sending it off to the relavent paper/magazine. Eventually someone liked a peice and she was in.

Is there any sort of mentoring scheeme at the big papers or could you write to a writer you admire and ask them fot advise/ to be a mentor. They'd probably be really chuffed!

Imagine the great peice you'll write for the Sunday Times in 5 years time about how hard it is to get into the buisness.

Good luck and keep me posted

Ruth.
Ruth
Super Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat