Driving lessons

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Driving lessons

Postby Star » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Anyone here learning how to drive, I've applied to driving lessons and I'm a bit worried about how I'll cope. Has anyone got any tips?

Thanks.
Star
Mega Poster

Re: Driving lessons

Postby Alice » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:14 pm

I've been learning to drive since the February before last. It's going slowly. I'm not probably the best person to give you a veiw on things though as I don't want to learn and never have done, my parents are making me.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 am

Alice wrote:I've been learning to drive since the February before last. It's going slowly. I'm not probably the best person to give you a veiw on things though as I don't want to learn and never have done, my parents are making me.

Same boat here, pesky parents. They never seem to understand eh.
:lol:
You might know me one of these aliases:
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Darren » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:11 am

Matt has been putting off driving lessons. Recently though, I found out that BSM run a days driving course in a simulator 8) Even better, the hourly rate is half that of a real car!! :lol:

Has anyone had any experience of this? I'm thinking of signing Matt up for a day in the summer.
Darren
Site administrator
http://www.darlen.co.uk
Darren
Super Poster

Postby fraser » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Star wrote:Anyone here learning how to drive, I've applied to driving lessons and I'm a bit worried about how I'll cope. Has anyone got any tips?

I hope it doesn't sound obvious, but the thing that helped me most was practice. If you can, it would be good to do as much driving as you can alongside your lessons. This was sometimes hard for me, since my Dad didn't always understand that teaching methods have changed in the 40 years since he learned! In the end, though, it gave me some experience with adverse weather, pulling over for ambulances, emergency stops, and other things that don't happen very often.

Darren wrote:Matt has been putting off driving lessons. Recently though, I found out that BSM run a days driving course in a simulator 8) Even better, the hourly rate is half that of a real car!! :lol:

Has anyone had any experience of this? I'm thinking of signing Matt up for a day in the summer.

It wasn't all in one day, but I had a few (6 or 8, I think) hours in a BSM simulator before my "real" lessons, and it definitely helped. By the time I got out in a real car, I already knew the controls and could concentrate on the road. The one I was in was based on a Corsa, so it was the same as the car I learned in.
fraser
Forum Master

Postby Andy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:17 am

I have just passed my driving test but I did have to take a lot more lessons than most folk I did have a very patient and understanding instructor who believed in me and instilled confidence.
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:30 pm

Darren wrote:Matt has been putting off driving lessons. Recently though, I found out that BSM run a days driving course in a simulator 8) Even better, the hourly rate is half that of a real car!! :lol:

Is this going to be his welcome home present? :P

"Oh, I'm feeling so tired after all that work at university. I think I'll just sleep in and..."

"Well, we have a special surprise for you tomorrow morning! Early start!"

I have never tried a simulator myself (my instructor took me out to a deserted industrial estate, which was fine until I accidentally turned the wrong way and got caught up in a stream of traffic going at forty miles an hour...) but it sounds like a good idea. It must be reassuring to know that you can't actually crash into anyone.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby M's Mum » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks for posting about the simulator Darren! I think M would find that very helpful. The nearest one to us is about 40 miles away, but hopefully I could combine taking him with visiting friends or something.
M's Mum

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:01 pm

For some reason I find driving easy and am about to start going onto the road but I don't think its that difficult at all.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby crazyvonnie » Sat May 02, 2009 11:19 am

i want to drive but i'm scared that i'm going to kill somebody or something. but i think the most important thing is to get a good instructor and just get ways of coping. i was told that you could put stickers on the steering of right and left for people who can't tell left and right(i'm one of them) and i think the stimilator is good idea.
crazyvonnie

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sun May 03, 2009 2:53 pm

I'll probably put driving off for another year or so. I'm nearly seventeen so I don't need to learn for a while.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Miwa » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Everyone wants me to take driving lessons but my confidence is too low. I hate it, I don't want !! I'm too scared to ride a bike on a road, so a car ! I feel too clumsy... I prefer bus. XD
Miwa
Super Poster

Postby sarah_9 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:34 am

Hello,

To get more about driving, better contact any driving school, they can tell you about all the challenges that you could face and how to get over of it, professional training is better way to learn driving.

Regards,
sarah_9

DMV Approved Traffic School
sarah_9

Postby Dan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:33 am

I'm 18 but I won't be learning until after university, it's just too expensive. I can't justify the costs right now. The insurance for cars is INSANE.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Goldenhamster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:02 pm

I was assessed at a centre which usually deals with people experiencing coordination and depth perception problems after injury or accident. They confirmed that I am safe to learn to drive; I haven't started yet but hope to soon. I don't actually particularly want to learn to drive because the whole prospect is so daunting, but I still consider it an important step towards indepedence and higher achievement if I can possibly master it. If I can't well, there are other ways.
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat