Driving lessons

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Driving lessons

Postby sweetkitty » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:37 pm

I passed my driving test, But i still feel I need much of practice to take away my fear. You should also try, Believe me you can do it :)
sweetkitty

Postby Bladen » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:27 am

I just simply gave up, to try and learn again later in an automatic.
I just couldn't bring myself to want to take ANY lessons.
You might know me one of these aliases:
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby xLittleHannahx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:22 am

I started to drive in febuary this year. Just passed my theory test with a highish mark but when driving i seem to always bump into the curbs. Fortunatly my driving instructor, who happens to be BSM, has taught dyslexic pupils before and has a lot of patience! Did anyone else have this problem and how can i overcome it?
"Wishing on a star......"
xLittleHannahx
Super Poster

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:39 pm

I'm thinking about learning next year and I've been looking for a driving instructor or school that teaches people with special needs. My mum think learning on an automatic is the way to go :)
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:37 pm

I've been driving for almost 10 years, so I can offer some advice.

If you have dyspraxia, an automatic is really the only way to go. I kind of know how to operate a manual, but it's much harder since you have to synchronize movements and you have to know exactly when to shift/apply the clutch, etc.

Cruise control is also useful if you are prone to getting tired easily from holding down the accelerator on long trips. (it helped me a lot on my move last year)
Page
Mega Poster

Postby ALADDIN » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:24 pm

Page wrote:I've been driving for almost 10 years, so I can offer some advice.

If you have dyspraxia, an automatic is really the only way to go. I kind of know how to operate a manual, but it's much harder since you have to synchronize movements and you have to know exactly when to shift/apply the clutch, etc.

Cruise control is also useful if you are prone to getting tired easily from holding down the accelerator on long trips. (it helped me a lot on my move last year)

I passed my driving test in the UK in a non - automatic car (with gears) . I passed having failed my driving test nine times. I am not a fantastic driver.
ALADDIN

Postby abi » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:17 pm

pratice is really the only way to do it, i started when i was 14, so i could learn to drive at 17. i have now passed in a manual.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Super Nekou » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Manual driver here, enjoy the hell out of it. Only have issues with holding the clutch down for long periods when in traffic waiting. I have other problems, but I'm a competent driver. Passed Dec 1st last year, got my own car. Took 5 attempts, three included very bad luck. I swear one examiner hated me, she failed me because I didnt stop when someone was metres away from a crossing and was not going to cross, and because she forcibly steered me away from someone when I was going up a hill. Cow.
As for now, I only get panicked when people give me sudden instructions. Probably why I grew to hate my lessons. But I love driving on my own.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby Lawzy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:57 am

Bladen wrote:
Alice wrote:I've been learning to drive since the February before last. It's going slowly. I'm not probably the best person to give you a veiw on things though as I don't want to learn and never have done, my parents are making me.

Same boat here, pesky parents. They never seem to understand eh.
:lol:

This happened to me when I was 16/17 and I ended up giving up lessons and now at 23 I am restarting them. Listen to your parents lol driving is amazing. I wish I listened because it is a bit embarasing at 23 not being able to drive mainly cus my younger sister can and I can't!
Lawzy
Power Poster

Postby HairyLemon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:55 pm

I've finished my lessons for the time being. The last one i had was a mock driving test which i was dreading but i didn't do too badly. My instructor said i wouldn't have passed but he's done worse mock tests. I had three major faults one was waiting for far too long to pull out of a junction another was when i was about to try and start in second gear and i ahd to be reminded so i didn't stall. and i can't remember the third. I don't have anymore lessons untill next summer so i can relax. Don't you find clutch control the hardest thing about driving?
Imagination is more important than knowledge
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby Lawzy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:56 pm

HairyLemon wrote: Don't you find clutch control the hardest thing about driving?

Yes, so I'm learning in an automatic. It does cost a bit extra but I want to drive.
Lawzy
Power Poster

Postby missteacup » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm not learning but I have learnt. Everyone who knows I've got Dyspraxia is always surprised that I can drive. Me too, if I'm honest. I've put it down to the fact that I was learning while I was in school, where I was learning things by writing them down - when I got driving, I was learning by *doing*. It was a nice refresher.

From experience, I'd say this:

~ Treat your theory and physical tests completely separate. Obviously you should understand key signs and symbols so you can drive safely, but it was better for me to study for my theory every weekend or so, rather than trying to encorporate it into my physical.

~ Get some practice in when you can. I'm ok at picking stuff up sometimes, but the more I could reinforce what I'd learnt by driving outside of my lessons, the better.

~ Explain to your driving instructor, not necessarily that you have Dyspraxia, but that you have an unusual way of learning, say. They might be able to show you things in a different way if that helps.

~ Know that it really is true what everyone says about driving: you don't actually learn to drive until after you've passed your test. That's when you learn all about reading the road and the different circumstances when you come to it; you don't have to try and learn EVERYTHING now, just enough to be a safe driver and to pass.

~ Draw diagrams, go over familiar routes in your head, write mnemonics (sp?). Worringly, I don't always remember which side of the road British drivers drive on, but I've remembered that and 'L' shape with my forefinger and thumb - the right way round - means "driving forward is on the left-hand side". That might not make much sense, I don't know.

~ Also, and this hasn't helped me enough, make a concious effort to remember the gear you're in. Tell yourself, "I'm going into second", or "I'm getting out of third now". It'll make it easier to change gears and you'll be less likely to stall.

~ A big thing for me was having patience with myself: it might take you a while to learn (took me a whole year!) but you'll get more experience that way and learning to drive isn't a thing you can rush.

~ Finally, it helped me to understand why I had to drive in a certain way: knowing what the clutch did meant I knew when to use it much more efficiently, and understanding the gears has explained the rev counter much better.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
Last edited by missteacup on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missteacup

Postby missteacup » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:33 pm

xLittleHannahx wrote:I started to drive in febuary this year. Just passed my theory test with a highish mark but when driving i seem to always bump into the curbs. Fortunatly my driving instructor, who happens to be BSM, has taught dyslexic pupils before and has a lot of patience! Did anyone else have this problem and how can i overcome it?

I tend to park too far out that too far in! It seems like a similar thing though, in misjudging the size of the car. If you can't get a feel of a car (which I can't, I know that :) ) then I've found it's helpful to learn it conciously: I will park the car and check if it's in the lines properly, and move it again if it's not. If I'm parking next to the curb, I'll get out and see how far in I am. If it's too far out, I'll just move it. This way, I can get a feel for my driving rather than the size of the car, which seems much easier!

Also, it might be better to park too far than too close, and then try and get closer.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
missteacup

Postby Super Nekou » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:43 pm

I still park too far out and hit the occasional curb. I find it hard to work out how close I am to things and how wide my car is, especially on the left hand side. I often still park wonky inside of lines when I believe it to be straight as I cant figure out if the left side of my car is even up to where I am sitting.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Postby abi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:07 am

http://twistedfutures.blogspot.com/2011 ... raxic.html

here is a blog post i wrote about learning to drive.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat