Assessment for Dyspraxia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Assessment for Dyspraxia

Postby Remus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:03 pm

I've given up with this whole assessment process. I didn't even get my MRI results back so I went through that entire horrible process for nothing. That's the typical NHS for ya.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby babooshka2002 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Remus wrote:I've given up with this whole assessment process. I didn't even get my MRI results back so I went through that entire horrible process for nothing. That's the typical NHS for ya.

Did you hassle your GP and the hospital where it was performed?

I don't think there is such a thing as typical NHS - very dependent on who is working in your area and perhaps your're unlucky enough to suffer from mass incompetence where you are.

The hardest bit for me so far was setting anything in motion, because nobody was interested in helping me with it for years - now the ball is rolling, things are happening. Still, I'm not finished yet - who knows what is round the corner, specially with all these cuts that have to happen.
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Postby abi » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:14 pm

with the NHS if you can find somone who works in the hospital you go to, even if its in a different area, get them to help you. with my dads chronic illness, we had to go for months (almost a year) before we found someone like that, he now goes out of his way to help. there are people like that in evry trust, if you have a friend or relative who can make the phone calls for you and come with you it is often easier.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:27 pm

TThey tend to be slow to respond if there's nothing to worry about.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby babooshka2002 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:53 pm

I had my brain scan on April 24th, waited and waited and I heard nothing.

Then I rang the GP surgery - rang them twice actually - once after four weeks and they said they had nothing yet but it could be another two weeks, the second time I rang they said, ok, we'll look into that, we'll ring the hospital and chase it. Five minutes later I got a call back saying that the neurologist I saw does things a slightly different way to what I had expected (and what they were used to from most consultants) - he doesn't automatically have things sent through to my GP surgery. So the next day I rang my neurologist's secretary and it was after that contact from me that she faxed it through to my GP. She told me that I could expect an appointment with the neurologist to discuss the results and it would probably be sometime in July, but that they'd fax the letter through for me so I could ring up the GP and ask about it.
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat