Speech problems?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Speech problems?

Postby Page » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:19 pm

I'm wondering who has stuttering/speech problems.

I've had severe (and I emphasize severe) stuttering problems my whole life. I have difficulty forming certain words/sounds, both in mid-speech and whenever I start to speak. It's typical of dyspraxia; I know how to form words but my body won't always cooperate and i can't fully control the muscles used for speech. I also tend to repeat words whenever I have trouble until I manage to get it right. (that is a learned behavior I picked up from early therapy, but it kind of backfired) I also have problems with breath control with speaking since I often can't speak and remember to breathe at the same time, so I often run out of air. (However, this caused me to develop a huge lung capacity over time) I also get tired quickly while talking and I can't do it for very long. I've had speech therapy many times over the years, but it has only been moderately successful. (this was long before my dyspraxia diagnosis) When I was young, I tended to avoid talking with people because I didn't know if I could trust them not to give me a hard time over it.

I've always hated talking on the phone. Unfortunately, my job requires it at certain times. (I'm a journalist, so I often have to do conference calls with executives) I can usually get through it if I prepare myself beforehand, rehearse what I'm going to say, and do it in a controlled environment like my office with the door locked. I greatly prefer email for communication even with these countermeasures.

Fortunately, it's gotten better for me since I moved to Alabama since I've been able to use a different accent. The southern USA accent is much easier for me to speak with because it drawls a lot more and the words flow together better. I didn't have to pick up the accent, but I've been using it by choice for the past year and it's a habit for me now. I began using it before I left California, and that often made people's heads turn, but here I can do it and fit in. My accent is sometimes even stronger than that of native southerners, but no one holds it against me. I still have speech problems, but I'm fortunate and blessed to have friends who accept me for who I am. (something that I sorely lacked while growing up)
Page
Mega Poster

Re: Speech problems?

Postby Steph » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:59 am

I don't really have any physical issues with speech although I do stammer when I'm nervous and I do tend to mispronounce certain words even though I know the correct pronounciation. My issues with speech are more neurologically based-I frequently forget the words for simple items such as "camera" or body parts such as "hands". Often I replace these words with "thing" when I forget them in mid sentence but people tell me I'm a lazy speaker when I do this. I also have trouble taking things literally and speaking in a very literal manner myself-people call me pedantic all the time! This is a lot better than it used to be although people do still notice it.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Cynamon » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:48 am

Steph wrote:I don't really have any physical issues with speech although I do stammer when I'm nervous and I do tend to mispronounce certain words even though I know the correct pronounciation. My issues with speech are more neurologically based-I frequently forget the words for simple items such as "camera" or body parts such as "hands". Often I replace these words with "thing" when I forget them in mid sentence but people tell me I'm a lazy speaker when I do this. I also have trouble taking things literally and speaking in a very literal manner myself-people call me pedantic all the time! This is a lot better than it used to be although people do still notice it.

I'm exactly the same. There's some words that I just *can't* say. Phenomenon is one, prospectus is another one. There are others, but I can't remember them all right now.
Cynamon

Postby Creative » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:10 pm

I have a stammer that gets worse when I'm stressed, unwell or tired. Sometimes I get speech blocks which is very frustrating.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:51 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5uRx1vw ... annel_page

Speech problems? Oh yeah. Born to be on radio? OH YEAH! 8)
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Page » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:38 pm

Cynamon wrote:
I'm exactly the same. There's some words that I just *can't* say. Phenomenon is one, prospectus is another one. There are others, but I can't remember them all right now.

Same thing here. Since I have trouble with certain sounds, I developed a huge vocabulary when I was a kid so I could get around the words/sounds I couldn't say by substituting a word of like meaning but with different sounds. (it's almost like having a built-in thesaurus) I still do this sometimes. Of course, this sometimes worked out to be awkward when I couldn't think of a word that was a perfect replacement for one I was having trouble with.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:05 pm

I have a slight lisp but it's hardly noticable. I also sometimes confuse myself when talking.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:29 pm

I don't have any physical speech issues. I couldn't say "SH" when I was very little (e.g. I would say sampoo for shampoo) but that's quite common.

I do have problems speaking when my anxiety is very bad, but not often.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby madame_tigre » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:14 am

I hate having speech problems. I am generally a slow speaker and frequently get my word order wrong and mis-pronounce words whilst trying to speak. My pitch can vary too. It can be so infuriating because it makes people think I'm less intelligent than I actually am.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:18 am

I also think that people think I'm stupid when I get a speech block. The mamager in the charity shop doesn't realise how clever I am.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby monkey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:30 pm

people also thignk I am less inteligent than I am becuase of my spech problems. it is very fustraiting.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:33 pm

That says more about those people than it does about you, Candy. *hugs*
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Aoife_B » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:21 am

I have artictulation problems. I can sometimes be hard to understand, especially when nervous. In the few times I've been asked to public speak at school in front of a class, I become unintelligeble and almost develop a lisp as I struggle to form the words.

When not nervous I have an issue with disfluency by speeding up inappropriately at times so its all mumbled and also missing sounds off words. I also struggle to pronounce 'l' or 'll' at the end of words substituting it for a w, 'duw' not 'dull'. I pronounce 'th' as 'f' but can stop this id i think about it and my 'r's are half substituted for 'w's but not quite. Not like 'wound' instead of 'round' but more like 'rwound'

It's not a bad speech problem that makes in regularly hard to get myself understood though, just I'm sometimes asked to repeat myself and can't public speak.

Anyone else?
Aoife_B
Super Poster

Postby abi » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:29 am

i spent hours, shut in my room evry night for weeks when i was a lot younger, learning to talk normally, my dad is half deaf, so i have to learn to talk clearly, i still dont always manage it, and i take forever to learn how to say a new word. it took me over a month to learn to say malleolus. im now in a load of science courses at college, so there loads of new vocab in places, it sucks.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby evilmuffet » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 pm

I sometimes make noises like um and er when someone starts talking to me even if I already know what to say, that bothers me specially when people pick up on it. Also I'm a very bad story teller and telling the synopsis of a book or film.xD
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat