Guitar (and instruments in general)

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Guitar (and instruments in general)

Postby Fortnox » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:09 pm

I'm just wondering if there's anyone on here who's learning guitar, or in general if there's ever been a Dyspraxic person good with guitar. It's one of those things I'm interested in that I've never taken up because I know it'll be incredibly difficult with my co-ordination, the same reasons I gave up learning to ride a bike or art.

So if there's anyone on here that plays guitar or other difficult instruments do say, I'm interested if you have any coping tips, or if it's just impossible to do

*edit* Oh hey I did a search and found a similar thread two threads down, haha wankerrrr
Fortnox
Forum Master

Re: Guitar (and instruments in general)

Postby Bladen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:23 pm

I'm simply a bass guitarist but I have played a bit of guitar before, its incredibly difficult at first but your brain and fingers just automatically find ways round it after time without notice.
I'm not exactly fantastic but i can shred on guitar and bass and apply scales, some modes and power chords.
You might know me one of these aliases:
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:00 pm

I can play guitar, I don't think Dyspraxia will limit you much, it will probably take longer to learn the simple things, but once you get into it, it should not be any harder for you than anyone else. :)
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Ben Jackson » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:06 pm

I have guitar lessons on Saturday afternoon's, I've done grade 1 so far and around august time being grade 2 book and I'm doing a couple of songs in the grade 2 book at the moment. I'm also learning to play the organ aswell which took me about 2 or 3 years to learn playing with both hands before learning to play the bass pedals.
Ben
B Jackson
Ben Jackson
Splendiferous Member

Postby Fortnox » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks fellas, I'm pretty confident about it now. Monday a friend taught me that legendarily simple riff everyone learns, the power chord riff to Smoke on the Water haha. Was fun, I'm really looking forward to learning now.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby parnassus » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:29 pm

I've recently started learning the cello. It's an instrument that I've wanted to play since I was about eight or nine years old, but I never had the chance until now. Beautiful instrument. I have some difficulty with the fine motor skills involved, and I struggle to follow the music and co-ordinate my fingers at the same time, but my cello teacher assures me that this will get easier with practice. I have a list of pieces that I hope to be able to play someday, and whenever I find something I particularly like, I add it to the list.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Rosie-posie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:14 pm

I play the flute got upto grade 4 i can also play the keyboard and recorder.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:21 pm

parnassus wrote:I've recently started learning the cello. It's an instrument that I've wanted to play since I was about eight or nine years old, but I never had the chance until now. Beautiful instrument. I have some difficulty with the fine motor skills involved, and I struggle to follow the music and co-ordinate my fingers at the same time, but my cello teacher assures me that this will get easier with practice. I have a list of pieces that I hope to be able to play someday, and whenever I find something I particularly like, I add it to the list.

Bach Cello Suite 1 in G major <3
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Shaun » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Recently bought a keyboard. I'm an absolute beginner but intend to dedicate myself. I'd love to be able to play it well and maybe one day compose my own music.
Shaun
Forum Master

Postby Bladen » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:16 am

Shaun wrote:Recently bought a keyboard. I'm an absolute beginner but intend to dedicate myself. I'd love to be able to play it well and maybe one day compose my own music.

Got to start somewhere! I think everyone who calls themself a musician should learn at least a tiny bit of piano/keyboard. I still can't use both hands at the same time doing different things but I know chords, scales and how to play sections for some songs such as Paranoid (Black Sabbath obviously) Stairway to Heaven and the Final Countdown.
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Pheonix 47 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi There, as far as guitar is concerned my son just couldnt get it he did try but it wasnt to be, he did however do some African drumming with me and really enjoyed it,, its not complicated,,you can even just sit in your room and play along to some music, you dont have to read anything just listen and tap along with your hand, no awkward sticks or plecks etc to contend with.. in general it was very theraputic. bongos or a djembe are the best. good luck :D
Pheonix 47
Advanced Member

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:23 am

What about piano? I've wanted to try and learn it since I was thirteen, but never got the opportunity. But my mum and I are thinking about contacting someone in the next few weeks. I'm a little nervous about it though. I have no idea how to read music, and I'm not sure if I could it!
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:33 am

MontyDyspraxia wrote:What about piano? I've wanted to try and learn it since I was thirteen, but never got the opportunity. But my mum and I are thinking about contacting someone in the next few weeks. I'm a little nervous about it though. I have no idea how to read music, and I'm not sure if I could it!

I really struggled with piano. I took it for seven years and never even reached Grade One. The problem was not so much note-reading (you can practise that while sitting at your desk or curled up in bed) but keeping my balance on the stool, playing with both hands (often going in separate directions), finding my place on the keys without looking, and reading the music all at the same time. It requires a lot of co-ordination and concentration, more than most other instruments, as all ten of your fingers are in use. I wouldn't recommend it myself.

However, there are people on here who can play the piano proficiently, and others who have taken it to a very high standard. (Unfortunately Radioactive Hairgel no longer posts here, as she would be a helpful person to talk to - she studies music at university, I believe.) Ultimately I think it depends on how severe your dyspraxia is and how it affects you. Some people's fine motor skills are much less impaired than their gross motor abilities, so they don't have too much trouble with co-ordinating their finger and hand movements.

If it's something you've wanted for a long time, give it a try. You will have to be patient with yourself and be prepared to learn more slowly than most beginners. If you can, try and find a teacher with some understanding of dyspraxia, preferably one who has successfully taught special needs pupils before. My teacher laboured until the mistaken belief that I was dyslexic, which made everything ten times harder - he persisted in thinking that my real problem was that I couldn't read the notes, and he kept telling me that I should capitalise on my 'strong visual memory' and to learn to play by memorising the shapes that my hands made on the keyboard. Unfortunately my visual memory is seriously impaired, so this didn't help much!

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Creative » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:34 pm

I used to play the piano. I passed my grade 1 exam when I was 15 after lots of hard work. I kept losing my place when I was following the music as I didn't have my cloured glasess then. I found some of the theory difficult, especially trying to draw trebble clefs! I did enjoy it and it was a worthwhile experience. I stopped going to lessons over a year ago when I started volunteering at the library. I'm still friends with my paino teacher and I'm meeetying up with her next week which I'm looking forward to. :D
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Bladen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 pm

I can do a bit piano, but I can't coordinate my 2 hands to do 2 different things at the same time though.
Its worse than playing bass and singing!
Spyke, Shoden

if not, well.
blah.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat