Scared to answere questions in class

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Scared to answere questions in class

Postby Mol-Mol » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Today i had a science kind of report thing and it said i needed to improve on saying my ideas infront of the class, apparently when you have dyspraxia like me you get more anxiety and you lack in confidence, so i don't really feel it is my fault? To be honest i was a bit upset that she said i needed to improve on it because i don't think i can ? I get really nervouse and dred having to do things in front of people, also i feel she may think i can't be bothered to answere questions and she doesn't understand that dyspraxia makes this hard, i may be being sensitive but i don't know how to solve the problem! Who else gets this aswell? And if so is there any way i can deal with it?? Helpp !! :o

Thanks,
Molly x
Mol-Mol

Re: Scared to answere questions in class

Postby parnassus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:02 pm

*Virtual hugs*

It depends on how your teacher phrased it, but I think you are being a bit oversensitive here. A lot of dyspraxic people struggle with speech, communication, and short-term memory, which can make speaking up in class very hard - I used to be frightened of putting my hand up in case I forgot what I was going to say before the teacher called on me. General lack of confidence can also make it difficult to share your ideas in front of a group, and this certainly isn't your fault.

But it is important to remember that this does not mean that you can't improve. Your teacher isn't asking you to become a prize-winning public speaker overnight, or even to talk as much as the others in your class. She just wants you to build up your confidence so that you can share your ideas more easily. Try and take it as a compliment - if she didn't think that your work was good, she wouldn't be encouraging you to say more about it in class.

I think it would help if you were honest with her. Tell her how much you dread speaking in front of a group and how nervous it makes you. Together you might be able to work on strategies to make this easier. One thing that helped me was when my teachers asked me direct questions, so I didn't have to agonise over whether to put my hand up or not. This was frightening in its own right, as I was petrified of giving an incorrect answer and making everyone laugh, but my teacher had more faith in me than I had in myself. She persevered until my confidence was less shaky and I was willing to volunteer to speak. Perhaps your teacher could do the same for you.

Another thing that helped me was my participation in the school debating club. Writing a speech and reading it out is very different from giving answers in class, and much less anxiety-provoking, but it did increase my confidence in my ideas and my ability to express them. Is there anything similar at your school that you could get involved in?
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby kerrianne92 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:53 pm

if you think it is too difficult and don't try you won't improve, I dont feel very confident about doing class discussions and presentations but because we have to do them alot in college Ive improved quite alot since september when I started.
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:30 pm

*hugss* Vicky is right - your teacher probably didn't mean to blame you, just to encourage you to have more confidence. Tell your teacher it makes you nervous.

Also, you might feel less anxious if you have something to fiddle with in class, like a piece of blu-tack.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby olivia5 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:28 pm

I've never been very confident in class, i never put my hand up if i don't get something. All the teachers keep telling me i should ask questions more but i don't have the confidence too.. I'm the same.
olivia5
Advanced Member

Postby Wolf Spirit » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi Molly,

I know how you feel. It's pretty much the same with me. I wish I could help.

Love,

Wolf Spirit
Pinkie Pie is best pony!
Wolf Spirit
Forum Master

Postby likeasheep » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:17 pm

I don't know if this will help, but what I used to do was write down my notes on what I might want to say as I went along, and while this used to take a long time with what I now know was my dyslexia, it still helped to get down a few key words. Now I find things much easier because I've got a keyboard to type on and I can use that or my phone to jot down things quickly so that when it's my turn to speak, I don't forget.

I hope this helped!
likeasheep

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat