Obesssions?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Obesssions?

Postby [gamer girl44] » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Hey guys! At the momment i am really obessed with anime and manga(especailly one piece :lol: ) I was so obessed with anime and manga i could't talk about anything else. It's better now though. Even though i'm still obessed with it. I was wondering if any body here was really obessed with anything :D
[gamer girl44]

Re: Obesssions?

Postby keegan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 pm

WoW, or perhaps the mighty boosh i watch it way too much :)
keegan

Postby bpcooper » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:30 pm

My obsessions are my xbox 360, pc (got a custom built one and play ArmA2 often) and trance music (I make my own)
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby k9ruby » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Web design!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Cynamon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Anime, Japan, guinea pigs and music for me.
Cynamon

Postby Remus » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:46 pm

My biggest obsession has to be my TV boxsets. My shelf is overloaded with series, I get it too way too many and it grows yearly. Whether it's Merlin, Dexter, Supernatural, Desperate Housewives, Life, whatever, I just love it!
Remus
Site Admin

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm like that as well :lol: They never last long though. Usually, they can last from a week to two months (maximum.) But the longest obsession I ever had was two years. I had a crush on Rupert Grint :oops:

I'm not really obsessed with anything at the moment; I've just gotten over my obsession with Wizard of Oz. But I watched The Naked Gun last night and enjoyed it very much, heh-heh...:wink:
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:30 pm

I have been obsessed with several things over the years, some of which were really weird like wheelchairs and the models of pushchairs available for purchase. My latest obsession is the TV series Waterloo Road-I have Series 1 to 3 on DVD and the first half of Series 4 has just arrived at home. I love it and watch the DVD episodes back to back. During the holidays, I stayed up to ridiculous hours of the morning watching episodes and clips on Youtube and searching it on Wikipedia.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:49 am

Most of my autistic fascinations are near-lifelong. The immediately obvious one is pencils. According to my parents this obsession developed just after I started preschool, which makes sense - that was my introduction to the delights of the stationery cupboard. I carry pencils everywhere with me, including to bed. When I signed in at work the other day I found a pencil that I had lost lying next to the sign-in clipboard, with a little Post-It note attached: "Please give back to Vicky." I add pencils to my collection on the basis of shape and weight and texture. It is quite a complicated science. They also have to feel nice when I'm flicking them and look right in front of my eyes.

After pencils, the other major obsessions are books and theology. It was my love of reading that taught me the difference between interest and obsession. My parents used to try and persuade me to make friends with people by telling me that they liked reading too. It turned out that this meant they had a habit of going to the library once a week. I still tend to be sceptical when people introduce themselves to me as bookworms. I began to read as a toddler, and the interest in theology came along some years later - I can remember researching the synthesis between Christianity and animist religions that has been achieved by certain Masai Christian converts when I was about six. I had a black baby doll that my nana had given me, and I decided that she could be a Masai baby. I gave her a baptism ceremony and made it as authentic as possible. Now my main areas of fascination are the Abrahamic faiths and their scriptures (especially Judaism), Hindu devotional literature, Kemetic religion, and the role played by religion in the partition of India and Pakistan.

I have also been fascinated with certain periods of history. Jewish history is an enduring obsession, especially the Holocaust. Ancient Egypt was a burning obsession for about three years, but then it subsided. Today I'm very interested in it, but not fascinated. Other short-lived obsessions (less than three years or so) have been the life of Helen Keller and her teacher, Anne Sullivan Macy; the Raj in India; the Amazon rainforest, its fauna, and its inhabitants; the colour green (connected to the Amazon obsession, I think); and Antarctica. Some of these live on as interests, but others are pretty much dormant. I'm no longer particularly attached to green as a colour. I like certain shades, but that's about it - I don't get excited if I'm in a room with green walls, for example. I used to (in fact, you would have had a hard time getting me out of a green-painted room once I'd found one) but now I scarcely notice.

My most recent obsession is with the TV series 'Allo 'Allo. This developed about five years ago. Now I can recite large chunks of the script off by heart, and like Steph, I have spent hours reading transcripts and watching episodes on YouTube. When people speak to me I frequently reply with an apposite quotation from 'Allo 'Allo.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby k9ruby » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:49 pm

Although I would say my special interests are web design/computer stuff and dogs, over the years I have had quite a variety of obsessions over the years. My mum would probably say snow as well- I love the stuff, I love the squishyness, walking in it, the 'cleanness' and watching it fall- I can watch snow for hours! It makes stuff look so pretty.

String- I used to love hanging things and making them swing like mobiles- I found it relaxing to watch and many a time my family had woken up to see that anything string like had been stuck around the room so I can watch things swing.

Drawing- I would get up in the morning (very early- 5am) and make over 100 random drawings.

Insects- I would 'collect' insects in a old fish tank and would watch them for ages. Once my mum was not very happy as I left the tank in my room whilst I was at school and mum was left to 'find' all the ones that had managed to 'escape'. She was not amused!

Ferrys- I would draw them, talk about them, read about them...

Electricity- When I was around six, I would take apart calculators and try to work out how to put them together again

Science experiments- I used to love doing chemical experiment kits!

Robotic Pets- I loved working about how they worked

Puppy patrol/animal ark books- I had the whole collection of books, and one term they were the only things in my reading log- I remember being so chuffed as I managed to complete the series, but my year 6 teacher was not pleased- she yelled at me for not having enough "variety". Personally, I don't think variety should matter- as long as it encourages kids to read then who cares!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:47 pm

I have three main obsessions:

Music: Began listening to music when I was about 13 or 14 and it has become some obsession and because of youtube I can hear bands / musicians like Dropkick Murphy's, DMX and Pharoahe Monch that I may never had heard before.

Law and modern society: it has something that has interested me for a long time and I like to hear about cases and sentences aswell. Also I have been interested in Politics aswell and I still have an interest in it aswell. I hope to do Law next year in University because I know it is something I would like and enjoy.

Sports: Sports has been apart of my life since I was 5 and is a massive passion of mine, Im going to have to talk about them separately.

Gaelic Football: I started this sport when I was 5 and I must have been playing it for at least 7 years basically this sport has been one I have loved playing and supporting my county in the championship which is great because it gives me a sense of belonging and there is nothing like being at the game and watching Dublin win.

Soccer: This has been in my life for along time, I got interested in the sport when my class would play soccer every single yard break they got and I learned how to play it in the yard aswell. I also started going to games when I was 7 and saw my team win the cup soon after. I still enjoy watching soccer but I don't watch as much as I used to.

Combat Sports: These have been apart of my life since I was 15, when I started Martial Arts and have been great because when I stated I had some big anger problems and they helped get over them, I also have been able to set sights on a particular goal in them which I could possibly reach by the end of this year. I also love watching them on tv and talking about them because I love everything about them the people, the fighters, the technique, the feeling when you see a good fight and the adrenaline before a fight.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Ben Jackson » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:05 pm

Mine are:playing on my XBOX 360, watching DVD's, music, some times playing on my guitar and loads other things
B Jackson
Ben Jackson
Splendiferous Member

Postby JamesStanley » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Watching DVD Boxsets:
Scifi:
Battlestar Galactica
Stargate
Star Trek
Babylon 5
Farscape

Fantasy
Merlin
Buffy
Angel

and waterloo road and NCIS
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby Hovis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Probably my worst obsession is playing "Football Manager" on the XBox to the extent that I dont study enough and am starting to fail exams I really do find it hard to study.
Hovis
Super Poster

Postby russells_teapot » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:41 pm

1. Neurology - I draw a good brain, even if I do say so myself
2. Toasters. I could inspect a toaster for hours. I was so upset when my mum got an Aga, which meant we no longer needed a toaster, that she kept the toaster for me :oops:
3. Trench poetry, especially Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen. I know a worrying number off by heart.
4. Swings. I'm too old for swings now, so it's slightly embarrassing when I see one and NEED to swing on it.
5. More recently, the song 'In for the Kill' by La Roux - I lsten to it over and over again, to the extent I think it's starting to annoy my whole family.
russells_teapot
Advanced Member

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat