Flapping Of Hands

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Flapping Of Hands

Postby Tecko12 » Sat May 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi, since i was 4-5 ish and up to now (i'm 13) i kept, on flapping my hands it became a real habbit, and i can't stop it and i do it when i'm talking especially when i'm taliking, ... also my hands click when i flap. And my parents have been trying to stop me from doing it, but i keep on going to the bathroom, when i'm flapping it kinda helps me think, sometimes i walk around and do it and i go into a dream world. is there anyway of stopping this habbit?? Any help would be good! thanks! :roll:
John Durham Green
Tecko12

Re: Flapping Of Hands

Postby bpcooper » Sat May 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Are you autistic as well as Dyspraxic mate?

I have Asperger's and still flap my hands from time to time
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Sat May 08, 2010 10:01 pm

I sometimes flap my hands when walking and thinking or when I get excited. I generaly have quite exadurated gestures though, so pepole take it as part of my personality. I used to go around the plaground alternating walking running and skiping while flaping my arms and imagining something which had nothing to do with these actions. My friend who had Aspurgers also did this, and apparently most pepole assumed we were playing together since it was exactly the same odd behaviour and we were friendly with each other (we both developed a horrible history obsession at the same time and used to have conversations which where entirely quotes from the books), we weren't playing together though we just went off in our own little worlds and happened to show it outwardly in the same way.

I'm not sure how to stop the arm flapping. There are many similar habits I would like too stop but can't.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Tecko12 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:04 pm

I don't think so. But i have nearlly all of the symptoms of Dyspraxa, I was diganosed when i was 7. I was wondering, if the flapping hands thing was, part of it... and if it was how to stop it most of the time when i'm flapping, i don't even realise when i'm doing it! :|

Yeah, Alice thats what i am like in the playground too, and still am but at secondary school pepole kind of make fun of me or they want me to do it
as i click my hands when i'm flapping my hands.
John Durham Green
Tecko12

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 am

I don't think it's possible to stop this. It is called "stimming" and it is something which lots of dyspraxics do. It is part of how you think. Other people should just learn to be more tolerant.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Tecko12 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Unfourtuntly pepole arent that tollerant, especially at school and i want to at least cut down on it. (sigh)
John Durham Green
Tecko12

Postby bpcooper » Tue May 11, 2010 4:30 pm

I know mate, it's very difficult to.

Do you do it when anxious or nervous?
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Danni » Tue May 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Is there anything you can do to replace the flapping with something a bit less obvious, maybe tapping your body or something? This would just be for when you're in a public situation- there's nothing wrong with flapping when you're by yourself :)
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Tecko12 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:54 pm

Yeah i do it because i am either anixos or nervous alot of the time and for some other reasons too. and bpcoop yeah i have tried lots of things :/ but just reccently one of my T.A's Miss.Allen gave me, a Tangle there like things you can fiddle with and there really good they can usally lower the amount of levels i flap
John Durham Green
Tecko12

Postby wm1995 » Sat May 15, 2010 7:42 pm

I'm not sure if this is the same, but I think it's similar. To relieve stress, I used to shake my leg, which drove everybody at my table crazy. Then I changed to something more subtle, such as drumming my fingers on my own hand. Now I touch all of my fingers with my thumb in sequence, which helps because I generally only do it when nervous and it takes a lot of concentration which helps me calm down.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Tue May 18, 2010 3:43 pm

I sometimes flap my hands but I'm more likely to clench all my fingers together covering my mouth. One of my old university friends used to joke about this and say, "How's the man in your finger doing, Steph?" because it always looked like I was talking to my hands. Odd gestures with the hands is the one thing I have in common with the autistic students here. The majority of them are very severely autistic but the one thing I always notice about any autistic person, no matter where they are on the spectrum, including myself, is odd whole hand movements. At least that's true of most of the ones I've met. One of my friends at work (the only one in my unit who knows that I have Aspergers) said to me recently, "You can tell you're autistic because you do all these weird, random things with your hands and face!" That may sound harsh but we have that sort of friendship where we are brutally honest with each other :lol: Dyspraxic people can also flap their hands-it's nothing to be ashamed of but I can appreciate how other kids at school can make you feel.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby KookyTookie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:44 pm

I flap my hands when I get excited! I did it all through my parents wedding when I was 10...the wedding video is hilarious!
KookyTookie

Postby monkey » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:13 am

I do this also. I tryed to stop btu I do it with out thinking often. So it is not an easy habit to stop.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:42 am

If it helps you, then you do not need to try to stop. *hugs*
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby James Brimer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:12 pm

By flapping do you mean gesters, becuase I wave my arms a lot when I am thinking. :D. If this is what you mean, don't stop, it take a lot of concentration (for me anyway) which as you probably know, is heard at the best of times. So don't stop, it is a in-efficent waste of energy to do so. Simply be our self (I suppose this is not easy in a secondry shcool).

Hope this helps.

James
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat