are these just dyspraxic things?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

are these just dyspraxic things?

Postby whizz pop bang » Thu May 20, 2010 3:11 pm

hi my name is whizz and i have only recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia. i worry about certain things i do as som of my friends think im wierd because i do them and i think it is pushing them away. firstly i cant really invite my friends to stay around my house for the night as i still sleep with a teddy at night, if i dont i cant sleep very well its like a comfort thing to me, secondly my friends and family tend to get annoyed at me as i am almost constantly figidting and cant sit still and when im upset, angry or depressed i automatically start rocking backwards and forewards like some loony. finally i get really frustrated easily and often cry or become angry or depressed if i cant do it as i think im failing people and some people keep saying i need to strenthen up and stop being such a wuss please can someone tell me if these are normal for dyspraxic people

cheers now whizz 8)
whizz pop bang
Advanced Member

Re: are these just dyspraxic things?

Postby Alice » Thu May 20, 2010 4:06 pm

Welcome. I think you have two problems here, dyspraxia (which probably contributes to the figeting) and adolecence (which is probably why you keep getting upset for small reasons). Luckily the latter will sort itself out in time, but the mood swings can be very rotten while it does. I wouldn't wory about what pepole think of your teddy so much. I take mine everywhere and I'm 19 years old.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Laura19 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:21 pm

whizz pop bang wrote:hi my name is whizz and i have only recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia. i worry about certain things i do as som of my friends think im wierd because i do them and i think it is pushing them away. firstly i cant really invite my friends to stay around my house for the night as i still sleep with a teddy at night, if i dont i cant sleep very well its like a comfort thing to me, secondly my friends and family tend to get annoyed at me as i am almost constantly figidting and cant sit still and when im upset, angry or depressed i automatically start rocking backwards and forewards like some loony. finally i get really frustrated easily and often cry or become angry or depressed if i cant do it as i think im failing people and some people keep saying i need to strenthen up and stop being such a wuss please can someone tell me if these are normal for dyspraxic people

cheers now whizz 8)

aw hope ur ok ye i know what u mean i feel sad and upset sometimes 2 and some people would treat me lile that sometimes 2! I wouldnt sometimes know what i have done to annoy someone! im sure u dont mean to do things like fidget and hopefully your friends and family will gradually become more understanding! how old are u?! have u been a member for long? laura xx
Laura19
Power Poster

Postby whizz pop bang » Fri May 21, 2010 9:19 am

hey laura im 17 and very tomboyish, which is a bit awkward at college as all of my class are very girly girls who dont really understand me very well so i normally just sit on the computer and listen to my music (like im doing now!) music is my life and without music i think i would go mad he he i play the drums which is kind of a bad instrumnet to play if your dyspraxic but i am getting a whole lot better now and listen to band like muse, g n r and metallica, ive also had a lot of issues with depression because ive been bullied most of my llife cos im so different to everybody else but i wish i knew i had dyspraxia so many years ago cos then i wouldnt have felt like such a freak and probably wouldnt have tried to kill myself four times. tell me a bit about yourself laura

take care whizz 8)
to sleep, no more and by sleep we say end the heartache- hamlet
whizz pop bang
Advanced Member

Postby Dizzy D » Wed May 26, 2010 8:25 pm

You know Wizz you seem just like me. Ileep with two teddys and I get realy ancsious and can't sleep without them. And like you I get upset over everything no matter how small :cry:
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby whizz pop bang » Thu May 27, 2010 8:22 am

thanx dizzy d at least i know im not the only one now, hopefully people will become more aware about dyspraxia soon and understand us dyspraxic a bit more clearly, im currently doing a research project on dyspraxia and what others understand about it and so far i found out that people who arent affected by dyspraxia in any way dont really have a clue and think that its just an excuse for being lazy and clumsy but hopefully issues with dyspraxia will come to light soon and the myths will be banished!!!!!!

being dyspraxic is kind of a bad thing for me because i found out the other day that dyspraxic teens are 5 times more likely to suffer from a psychitric illness than other teens well im screwed cos ive already suffered from reoccuring bouts of deppression and fear that it may develop into something more serious :(
whizz pop bang
Advanced Member

Postby whizz pop bang » Thu May 27, 2010 8:22 am

thanx dizzy d at least i know im not the only one now, hopefully people will become more aware about dyspraxia soon and understand us dyspraxic a bit more clearly, im currently doing a research project on dyspraxia and what others understand about it and so far i found out that people who arent affected by dyspraxia in any way dont really have a clue and think that its just an excuse for being lazy and clumsy but hopefully issues with dyspraxia will come to light soon and the myths will be banished!!!!!!

being dyspraxic is kind of a bad thing for me because i found out the other day that dyspraxic teens are 5 times more likely to suffer from a psychitric illness than other teens well im screwed cos ive already suffered from reoccuring bouts of deppression and fear that it may develop into something more serious :(
whizz pop bang
Advanced Member

Postby ErinMaree » Thu May 27, 2010 10:50 am

I still sleep with my teddy and I have a security blanket! I mean when I go to sleep overs I just stuff them in my pillow case and no body knows :D I have read that dyspraxics have troubling settling in to new situations and I found it really hard when I moved schools has any one experienced this?
http://erin-marees-antics.blogspot.com/ please check out my blog love Erin xxx =^.^=
ErinMaree

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu May 27, 2010 12:06 pm

I am 21 and I sleep with a teddy.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Thu May 27, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm 23 and I still sleep with my teddy when I'm back home.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Thu May 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:I am 21 and I sleep with a teddy.

You beat me, although I doubt I'll have stopped in 3 years.

I sleep with a teddy and blanket. I refuse to be embarassed about it.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Thu May 27, 2010 6:33 pm

Hey, I sleep with a stuffed snake, gorilla, monkey, teddy, Cat in the Hat and a pillow with 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' on it. That's six items!
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Thu May 27, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Whizz, sorry to hear of your frustration.

I think even people without dyspraxia have some of the issues you mentioned occasionally... however people with dyspraxia are more prone than most. The attention and figeting problems can be characteristic of dyspraxia, as well as asociated conditions like ADHD. Have you tried explaining to your family how your problems affect you and how frustrating it can be?

And I sleep with a teddy at night too and I'm 22!
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby award » Thu May 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Yeah i have most of thease " problames" however regarding sleeping with a teddy dont worry dude i still do it and im 18 lol
-------------------------------------
Adam
award
Site Admin

Postby parnassus » Fri May 28, 2010 11:05 am

whizz pop bang wrote:being dyspraxic is kind of a bad thing for me because i found out the other day that dyspraxic teens are 5 times more likely to suffer from a psychitric illness than other teens well im screwed cos ive already suffered from reoccuring bouts of deppression and fear that it may develop into something more serious :(

Don't worry about this too much, Whizz. You have to be quite careful how you interpret statistics like that. In the study that you're talking about, a medical team in Sweden followed a group of dyspraxic children into adolescence and found that an unusually large number of them did develop mental health problems, compared to typically developing teenagers. But we must not assume that mental health problems are an almost inevitable consequence of dyspraxia, in the same way that heart defects are an almost inevitable consequence of being born with Down's Syndrome. Certain things about life can be very difficult if you're dyspraxic, and it is the stress and worry of coping with these problems (especially if you don't get the right support) that can lead people to develop mental health difficulties. If you have the right help and you understand your needs, I doubt that you are any more likely to have mental health problems than other people.

I developed an eating disorder when I was being bullied, and it has recurred throughout my life ever since. It is classed as serious now. It's true that without the dyspraxia and autism I might not have been bullied, and so I never would have had the ED, but there is really no guarantee of that. Plenty of 'normal' children get bullied, after all. Instead of worrying about the statistics on mental illness, I think it is best to concentrate on what can help you to develop as a person and become more confident in yourself. Stripped down to the basics, dyspraxia is a difference in your brain that makes you more forgetful and physically clumsy than most. There's nothing about it that means you can't be happy. :)

Oh, and I sleep with a teddy too! A pink rabbit called Big Ears. I've had him since I was a baby and he's not going anywhere. When I was at university I noticed that I wasn't the only one, so don't worry. ;)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat