learning to drive

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

learning to drive

Postby abi » Mon May 24, 2010 7:43 pm

did anyone else (who is old enough) find it hard to learn to drive
i have just passed the test, but i found the concentration really hard, and i had seperation difficulities with the 2 hands/feet doing differnet things.
i just wanna know if anyone else had the same problems
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Re: learning to drive

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Mon May 24, 2010 9:33 pm

I want to learn to drive this year, but I'm slightly scared about it. My mum says learning on an automatic is the best thing to do but I'd rather learn at a special needs school (or something like that) just not with any old instructor.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby abi » Mon May 24, 2010 9:42 pm

dont do an automatic, even if you drive one after the test, if you can possibly do it in a manual, do.

i found the best thing was lots of off road practice, even with the ignition off.
i wouldent go directly to a specail needs school, but i would try to find an instructor that understands (or is willing to listen to an explaination) about dyspraxia.
some advertise that they have hearing loops installed or something similar, if they do something like that for one disability/condition, they are likley to be willing to adapt for others.
you may have to change instructors a few time untill you find one you get on with. the only other thing i can say, is never go for a trainee instructor.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Rosie-posie » Mon May 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Your post has given me confidence about learning to drive abi thanks, a lot of people ive found with dyspraxia have their mind set that they will never learn to drive. I have had a few lessons a few years back going to have some more in the summer i think.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby abi » Tue May 25, 2010 4:35 pm

im glad to know i have helped rosie
abi
Mega Poster

Postby abi » Wed May 26, 2010 5:30 pm

anther thing to point out for those starting to drive - when choosing your car
i found it best to get an old car, as these are less responsive, and are less likley to mess up at the slightest mistake.
another important thing is the seat, i find it difficult to sit up unsupported for long, and even harder in a car because of the movement, a well shaped seat can be very helpful, some people even go as far as having a bucket seat, but i think this is a bit far for my personal needs.

hope this is helpful too
abi
abi
Mega Poster

Postby southernbelle » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:46 pm

I learned to drive before i found out i had dyspraxia. i'm glad i can drive and i enjoy it! it was harder and yes i do experience some problems, e.g parking, judging speed of traffic, and dyspraxic associated problems.
But i firmly hold on to the belief that you should still give it a go and not hold back, because if have the mentality of ' i can't do it because i've got dyspraxia' it throws more spanners in the works and may seem more of a problem than it really might be. do you understand what i mean?
southernbelle

Postby abi » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:30 pm

southernbelle wrote: But i firmly hold on to the belief that you should still give it a go and not hold back, because if have the mentality of ' i can't do it because i've got dyspraxia' it throws more spanners in the works and may seem more of a problem than it really might be. do you understand what i mean?

brilliant attitude
ive always seen it as if i want (or need) to do something, it WILL NOT stop me, but if i dont want to do it, i will use it as an excuse, because if its harder than it should be, and i dont want/need to do it, why should i.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Rosie-posie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:47 pm

nods in agreement, liking the positive attitude girls :D
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby HairyLemon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:20 pm

I've been learning to drive since the end of march. I was very nervous at the beginning and after my first lesson i thought that i was never going to be able to drive. I'm a bit more confidant now and i don't get as stresed before a lesson. I have trouble with the more delicate parts of driving like clutch control and i still find it difficult starting off but i'm okay when i get going. Somtimes when the instuctors telling me what to do i hear what he says but i don't understand a word of it because i'm so nervous. The last two lessons have been good though, i think i'm getting the hang of it.
Imagination is more important than knowledge
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby abi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:22 pm

well done lemon
abi
Mega Poster

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat