Getting diagnosed/Tested

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Getting diagnosed/Tested

Postby KookyTookie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Hey, I'm new to all of this! Recently I have been seriously wondering wether or not I may have Dyspraxia, however, I have never spoken to any professional about these concerns or been officially diagnosed. I have just turned 25 and just finished my first year at university. The main reason why I have been questioning this suddenly is because of the difficulties I have encoutered during my studying this year. Most of my coursework marks have been either firsts or high 2:1 grades (equivalent of A and B grades.) I had an examination at the end of the year which I got a considerably low mark for compared to my other grades, despite putting huge amounts of effort into revision to prepare for this. During the examination I found that I just couldn't organise my ideas and found it extreamly difficult to concentrate, despite having the answers 'in my head.' another difficulty was the actual writing of the essay during the exam itself. My handwriiting is bad at the best of times, and under timed conditions it gets even worse. I actually had a very sore arm for two days after the exam because of how tense and hard I held my pen when writing. Even though my grades for non-timed essays have been very good, I do find that it takes me double the amount of time to write them compared to others. If I don't spend very long periods of time planning essays I probably wouldn't get such good grades. I am a bit of a prefectionist so I feel that because I spend so much time on uni work, that I don't have much time for anything else. This also stresses me out! Although I have never really thought any of these issues have been anything more than just the way I am before, I am now begining to wonder if there is something more to it than this. After doing some basic research on the symptoms of dyspraxia, I was shocked to discover that I do have many of the possible symptoms. I don't really know where to go from here, because I am older I worry that these issues won't be taken that seriously by my doctor. I Would be grateful for any advise about getting tested etc! Thanks! :D
KookyTookie

Re: Getting diagnosed/Tested

Postby abi » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:57 pm

it dosent reallyt matter if it not taken seriously by your doctor, but most of them will help, that can be the best place to start. if not, your university may have support available, there is likley to be support services there you can at least get information. if neither of these are of any help, i got an occupational therapists report, this may also ba a suitable way to go.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:54 am

I think the best way forward is to go through your university support services as, unless you are willing to pay a lot of money for a private assessment, the NHS waiting list for adults waiting for a dyspraxia assessment can be very long. Some universities will pay for your dyspraxia assessment and others will expect you to pay for it-I'm not sure where your university stands on this. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby KookyTookie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:55 pm

thanks for the advice, I'll speak to my doctor first and see what happens. I will also contact student support at my uni too. In a strange way it may be a relief for me if I am diagnosed. It would explain a lot about how I am, and help me understand why certain things in my life have been so difficult for me. For so long I have always assumed its just because I am strange, or I am just clumsy and lazy. I find it difficult in social situations because of how I am, I hope that I can overcome this and just get on with my life and do things I really want to do and not be afraid.
KookyTookie

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Good luck woth your assessment.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat