Dyspraxia and Cross overs????

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Dyspraxia and Cross overs????

Postby James Brimer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Recently while trying to get to sleep ,I was reading a book my mum gave me several years ago Hadn't read until a week ago), It was by Luke Jackson, called Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome. It got me thinking "Maybe some of the people of DT might know more about the way Dyspraxia crosses over to other Disorders...". So theres the question:Why do people wioth Dyspraxia have cross overs with other disorders????
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Re: Dyspraxia and Cross overs????

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Because having more than one disorder is cool 8)
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:57 pm

/me giggles at Monty

Really though, dyspraxia and things like Asperger's Syndrome and dyslexia are all in the brain, so to speak. It's not too surprising that if your brain is wired for dyspraxia, it's also wired for dyslexia or autism.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby abi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:59 pm

there is likley to ba a common cause, even if that cause is as of yet unknown, it may also be that if a person is assessed for one thing, that other discoveries may be made that may have gone unknown.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 am

I agree with Danni. It's interesting to note the differences in Aspergers characteristic between those that purely have Aspergers (in the minority out of the people I know) and those that have crossovers with other conditions. I have two old university friends-both of them are diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome but nothing else. Both of them are what people would call "textbook Aspergers"-down to the love of numbers and ability at Maths to their withdrawal from social situations. Interestingly it was myself and another friend of mine at university who also had both Aspergers and dyspraxia that had really struggled at Maths all through life which leads me, without any scientific evidence, I hasten to add, just in case anybody decides to take it as gospel, that it is dyspraxia that has affected my Maths ability especially as my mum and dad are both good at Maths as is my brother although my sister is not so good at it. I have also found that people with both Aspergers and dyspraxia tend to be better readers and better at expressing themselves verbally than those with purely Aspergers. The 2 lads with Aspergers and nothing else that I am friends with both dislike reading, struggled with English at school and have more significant difficulties with verbal expression than I do. I used to think that the dyspraxia had "weakened" the Aspergers but now I know that's not the right way to think of it and that both conditions give me different strengths and weaknesses along with my own individual personality traits. I don't mean to stereotype by the way-I know that there are dyspraxics out there who excel in Maths just as there are people with just Aspergers who are good at English and verbal expression but, IN MY EXPERIENCE, the above is what I have noticed from observing my friendship group.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:17 am

I know a lot less on this subject than you, so correct me if wrong :mrgreen: , but i though the maths thing was Dysgraphia??, (I think??)
James Brimer
Forum Master

Postby Steph » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:21 am

Not quite-dysgraphia is a coordination disorder affecting solely handwriting. Dyscalculia is the disorder that affects Maths but my difficulties with Maths are not severe enough to come under dyscalculia as dyscalculia causes difficulties with even basic numeracy tasks like counting change or telling the time. I have no problems with either of those things although I was older than the average person when I learned to tell the time (I was thirteen) and I still prefer digital watches-my difficulties with Maths are, in my opinion, due to the way the dyspraxic mind works (or at least how this dyspraxic mind works). All the dys's can be confusing, can't they?
Steph
Forum God !

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:36 am

Esspecialy on Wikipeidia, The bofins encyclopedia..
James Brimer
Forum Master

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat