Seen the Occupational Therapist - I do NOT have Dyspraxia.

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Seen the Occupational Therapist - I do NOT have Dyspraxia.

Postby babooshka2002 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:23 pm

So.

The Occupational Therapist came round today. I saw her at the hospital last week and she wanted to come and see me in my home as well, which I was very alarmed by - I said "Are you sure you want to come round? It's a horrible mess, I'll have to tidy up, arrgh!"

She told me not to make any effort beyond what I would do normally, because she had to see it how it was, she had to see the reality. I thought this made a lot of sense.

So, she came round today. First thing she did was go through the results of the test she performed last week. She said that I fit one part of one type of dyspraxia - there's ideo-motor dyspraxia and ideational dyspraxia. Struggling with miming the action of an object without having the object in my hand, is associated with one of these but I can't remember which one. Ideo-motor, I think. So I do have ideo-motor problems - symptoms of what is called ideo-motor dyspraxia.

However, the fact that when she asked me to mime waving goodbye and brushing my teeth and things like that, I found it totally easy and not a problem at all, indicated not-dyspraxia. That's called ideational dyspraxia, if someone can't make the action when they are asked "How would you wave goodbye?"

Or, they might be the other way round. Whatever - I have problems with one but not the other.

So, the fact that these two things are not present in me together, indicates that I do not have dyspraxia (and by the way, she has no trouble at all with the concept of dyspraxia as a collection of symptoms - that seems to be just a neurologist thing)

She said that I have some dyspraxic tendencies, and she understands I don't like that term, but that's what it is - I have some aspects of dyspraxia but not all of it, and I do certainly have a very dyspraxic history in terms of my childhood development, so me thinking I did have dyspraxia was not an unreasonable thing to think - for the non-medical person that I am, it was a reasonable theory based on the available evidence. Current evidence however, says different.

So what do I have? She said I most certainly have a problem of some sort with executive brain function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_functions

She has referred me to the neuropsychology department and has suggested a psychiatrist would be useful to see as well in order to try to get to the bottom of this. She says there is definitely a problem, that much is obvious and she thinks I should have more tests. I will be seeing her again in the hopes of gaining help with learning how to organise myself better.

So, sadly I have to abandon my pet theory of dyspraxia. I liked it. It was a good one, it fit pretty well, but not well enough. I'm big enough to be able to say I was wrong though.

*huggles the dyspraxia theory, then releases it back into the wild*

In terms of new pets, I really have no idea, though I'm leaning towards ADHD more, or possibly Aspergers Syndrome, but I like ADHD much better. Much. I've liked ADHD ever since I read that ADHD kids can be clumsy in the same way dyspraxic kids can, and I certainly had MAHOOSIVE problems in that area when I was a bairn, which is why I liked dyspraxia since it's primarily a physical thing, or that's the most obvious thing about dyspraxia anyway - the physical clumsiness. But ADHD can include that too.

Still, getting a new pet may not be helpful for me. What I should do is just let the docs do their jobs and figure stuff out, let them find the pet from their position of knowing a lot more than I do. It's just... it's so important for me to have SOMETHING, so that I have something to say when people in a confused tone of voice ask me why I totally seem to be not listening to them, or why I've looked straiight at them, smiled at them, clearly knowing there was a person there but not recognised them, or why I've forgotten something which they've told me a million times, or why I've just walked into a lamp post or randomly lurched drunkenly to the side for no reason at all, or just tried to put my furry rucksack in a bin.
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Re: Seen the Occupational Therapist - I do NOT have Dyspraxia.

Postby Steph » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:26 pm

I can understand why you feel the need to have a specific diagnostic label to give to people to explain your problems but I will just warn you this is not always as easy as it seems. I am diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. When I explain my condition to people, I explain it in the context of high functioning autism. Most people have heard of autism but they don't associate it with my difficulty in speaking to strangers or ordering a meal from a takeaway delivery service because they assume that as I am usually quite articulate, I must be able to do this as well and it can be hard to explain to people that there is a genuine reason why the very thought of speaking to somebody I don't know on the phone strikes me with fear and panic. It can certainly be easier in some situations to explain that you have a specific condition but by no means in every situation. A lot of times, I find it easier to just say, "I have difficulties in organising myself" if someone asks me why I have a rota for how often to change my socks pinned up on my wall or another such thing.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby babooshka2002 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Steph wrote:A lot of times, I find it easier to just say, "I have difficulties in organising myself" if someone asks me why I have a rota for how often to change my socks pinned up on my wall or another such thing.

Hey, that's not a bad idea for me actually.... hehehe.

At the moment, my socks feel... somewhat crunchy, and the smell? Hoo boy. If you've smelled a boy's changing room... it's like that. In terms of personal hygiene, I am very much like a teenage boy actually, just because I forget to have baths and it's easiest to just put on the same underwear as I wore yesterday. I have no idea at all how long I've been wearing these socks, more than a week anyway. Could be more than two weeks.

Good point you make about still having difficulties with telling people. I shall have to be aware of that. Thanks. :)
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Postby Steph » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:18 pm

I used to never keep track of how long I had worn a particular pair of socks but then I got a boyfriend and...well, he wasn't very sympathetic to this, hence the rota :lol:
Steph
Forum God !

Postby babooshka2002 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Yeh.... I havbe no boyfriend, but when I'm round at my dad's or my mum's, there is a definite wrinkling of noses when I take my shoes off. XD

My feet are really sweaty in summer as well, it's soooo not nice.

I also can't remember the last time I ran the washing machine. It's been well over a month. Running the washing is tricky, it's difficult to remember to empty it and hang stuff up, which often means I have to run it several times cos I leave the damp load in there for three days so it goes all stinky.

Sometimes I think I should have a rota for everything - it really seems like I just can't do this stuff naturally so I need to get seriously obsessive and weirdly super-organised - weird to normal folks anyway - because otherwise it just doesn't happen.
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Postby abi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 pm

if being 'wierd and super obsessive' works, DO IT, but it may be best to place rotas in a more private place, or even in a book so thier not on display when people visit.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:58 pm

I'm glad they're trying to get to the bottom of things.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby babooshka2002 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:13 pm

abi wrote:if being 'wierd and super obsessive' works, DO IT, but it may be best to place rotas in a more private place, or even in a book so thier not on display when people visit.

Nahh, I don't object to people thinking I'm weird in the slightest - throughout my life everybody has thought I was weird, to the point that it's quite comfortable to me now and I'd be deeply offended if someone thought I was normal. :mrgreen:

I hate messing up - not seeing things, not hearing things, doing weird things that make no sense, that might be more associated with an elderly person going a bit gaga. That upsets me. But I don't mind being thought of as weird as in just the way I am.
babooshka2002
Super Poster

Postby dyspraxiasurvey » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:39 am

Hi,

I know this thread is old but I am surprised that considering your childhood history and your age you did not have the "dyspraxia" diagnosis just because of this part of the test. Dyspraxia is a spectrum and not everyone has the same symptoms as you said and there are different kinds of dyspraxia. One does not have to fit all the characteristics, especially after childhood to be diagnosed with it.

I have been diagnosed with dyspraxia and I can wave goodbye, I have troubles getting the right movements to pretend that I brush my teeht (just done it in front of my screen XD) but I do try and I am sure some people would think that I actually did it.

Anyway, I do not know whether you have another diagnosis or not now but I still find it strange that you were dismissed for such reasons.

Oh, and by the way, I live in North Yorkshire :lol: The North-East of England is such a beautiful place.
dyspraxiasurvey

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat