clothes and shoes

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

clothes and shoes

Postby abi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 am

am i the only one who chooses clothes and shoes more for if they are
A comfortable
B strong
C supportive (more for shoes)
than for if they look good

for example, my normal outfit is a pair of £3 jeans from asda, a pair of army boots (some refer to them as DMs, but altough good enough for most descriptions, its not technically true), a T-shirt, sports bras (insted of these horrible, uncomoftable almost to the point of pain frilly things one of my friends is trying to get me into) and a zip front (this is important - i hate pulling jumpers over my head) fleece. and obviously underpants and socks. then theres accessories like my cap which im never without.

i get stared at and thought a 'wierdo' for dressing like this. is it wrong to dress like this?
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Re: clothes and shoes

Postby Steph » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:56 am

There's nothing wrong with dressing like that. I also choose clothes more for comfort than fashion and, to me, this is the best way to be especially if you are dyspraxic and have sensitivity to certain materials. Since I met my boyfriend, I have started buying smarter clothes for dates and things but, in general, I still prefer comfortable clothes. I have one very comfortable grey hoodie which my mum always says, without fail, whenever I wear it, makes me look like a boy but, to me, you are the one wearing the clothes, not the people making judgements on you, so as long as you are happy, that's all that matters in my opinion.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby abi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:18 am

:lol: most of my clothes make me look like a boy. i gag at the thought of a dress, or any clothing that shows my ankles, or requires me to change my boots for any other footwear (im either in the boots, or barefoot).

i once spent almost an entire day with the entire staff of a national trust property thinking i was a boy. there were some blushing faces and some laughs when they found out differently. i will admit i was in a scout young leaders uniform, but i still had long hair, tied back, and my face is unmistakably female.

i dont mind people thinking im a boy, i refer to evryone as 'he' or 'him' sometimes.

as for the smarter clothes for a boyfriend/girlfriend, he can take me as he finds me.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:03 am

as for the smarter clothes for a boyfriend/girlfriend, he can take me as he finds me.

I used to feel the same. I was vehemently against the idea of buying smart clothes for the sake of another person but it is a complex situation. In terms of personality, I definitely agree that people should take you as they find you because to try to conceal aspects of your personality or even put on a whole front is basically denying your existence but I don't think there's anything wrong with putting on smart clothes for a dinner date and it makes partners feel good. I do think people in general place far too much emphasis on fashion and physical appearance but, in the context of a relationship, it's often the case that if a guy/girl sees their partner not making an effort with their appearance on occasions such as dates or anniversaries, they feel that they, as a person, don't mean enough to the other person to make an effort for and it can lead to a lot of tension or even the end of a relationship. I hope that didn't sound too harsh (I don't actually understand why people equate casual clothes with not caring about a person but I have to accept that's how a lot of people think)-I was just explaining why my thought processes changed when I entered a relationship. Plus, to me, it's no different than dressing up in best clothes for a wedding or funeral or family occasion and most people don't think twice about doing that. Most of the time, I do lounge around in comfortable clothes when I'm with my boyfriend as does he but both of us dress up when we go on dates or to meet relatives etc, which I think is the general way most couples are in relation to dress code. Once again, I apologise if any part of this message offends anybody-it wasn't my intention.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby abi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:52 pm

i agree with what your saying about dressing up for family occasions, but i refuse to even do that, the last time i got dressed up i was about 8, and had no choice in the matter, since then, i have been to a wedding and a funeral.
i might change, im still young, but as i am, dressing up is totally against my character.
dont worry about being offensive, your not, its a difference of opinion, not being rude.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Danni » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:18 pm

It may be possible to find some smart clothes that feel comfortable. My favourite dress is smart enough for going out in, but is made of viscose (the same stuff stretchy leggings are made from) and is really comfortable. For normal days, I wear it with leggings and my Converse :P If I'm going out, I either wear it with purple tights and my smart black shoes, or with bare legs and my flat shiny purple shoes (depending on the weather).

You shouldn't wear clothes you don't feel comfortable in, but it may be possible to smarten up your look a bit without you feeling wrong.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:54 pm

My friend says I dress like a lesbian :lol: But then again, I did accuse him of having a girly bag :lol:

Well, anyway, I DO dress like a lesbian because I have tried to wear clothes similar to Claudia Gonson, who does happen to be gay. It makes me comfortable and I like the way I dress. And I like the clothes that Claudia Gonson wears.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby wm1995 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:54 pm

My mother chose a system where I have two shirts (which look identical on both sides, so people (except my mother) cannot tell what I'm wearing backwards!), one white long sleeved shirt and one short plainly coloured shirt. If the day becomes warmer, then I can go home and take off the white shirt, and apparantly all the combinations match :D Also, concerning hoodies, I can never tell what gender a 'hoodie-wearer' is, and I think that most people cannot. I like my purple fleece hoodie because it is warm, comfortable, and has these little strings which mean I can pull the hood closed so I can isolate myself. The only problem is my sister once tied this shut while I was asleep. It took me ages to get it off. Ah well... Finally, shoes. It takes me hours to choose comfortable shoes (what generally happens is we buy the best shoes from each store, then compare the best shoes at home side by side, then keep the best pair and return all the others), which leads to my hate of shoe-buying day.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby abi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 pm

[quote="MontyDyspraxia"]My friend says I dress like a lesbian :lol: But then again, I did accuse him of having a girly bag :lol: quote]
i got called a lesbain cos i polish my boots to hide the scuffs, then when we were going away with the college, i turned up in my drill trousers, boots, black T-shirt, and camo fleece, carrying a US army backpack with my stuff in. i went up to him and said "remember you called me a les, now what do you think?" we all laughed about that all the way to the airport.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:33 am

I got a very god system for me, my usual attire is a pair of combats, a green top, Walking boots and in cold weather a pull over blue fleece, practical to the maximum. :D Also at home-ed every body has there own ec-entrisities (don't know how to speel tah ;),)
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby Alice » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:40 pm

I prefer to wear walking boots and sundresses lately, an odd combo I know. In winter I wear layers of brightly coloured socks, tights, and trousers under usually very conservatively coloured full length skirts with brown or black uggs (judge if you want, they're warm and fluffy), and t-shirts under a top, a jumper and a hoodie or a coat.

I also like to dress up. I like hight heals because of my hecealese tendons.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat