Aspergers Overlap

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Aspergers Overlap

Postby award » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi , can anyone tell me if dyspraxia and aspergers is a common overlap
-------------------------------------
Adam
award
Site Admin

Re: Aspergers Overlap

Postby abi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:49 pm

im not sure statistically, but in my personal experiance, yes
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby bpcooper » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:06 pm

From what I've realised it seems like every Dyspraxic I know has tendencies of Aspergers and vice versa.
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:38 pm

It seems quite common from my experience although not as common as the dyspraxia and dyslexia overlap. Again that's just from my experience-I don't know the statistics of it all.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:14 am

Yeah, I think it is common-ish, I have aspergic tendencies, the only bit i don't seem to have is the puting your self in some ones shoes.
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby parnassus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:26 am

Most people with Asperger Syndrome have dyspraxia, which has led the Dyspraxia Foundation to recommend that dyspraxia should not be diagnosed in cases of AS unless it is unusually severe:

"In theory a formal diagnosis of dyspraxia should not be made if a child has a “pervasive developmental disorder” (including autism). However in reality children are sometimes given both diagnoses, especially if their motor coordination is significantly affected. Where the autism is severe this should be given as the main diagnosis."

I'm not sure about the incidence of AS in people with a primary diagnosis of dyspraxia, though. I once read an estimate from Dr Amanda Kirby in which she said that about seventy-five per cent of the dyspraxic clients they see at the Dyscovery Centre have social and communication difficulties. Having these difficulties is not necessarily the same as having AS, but it does demonstrate how the different problem areas are knitted together.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:21 pm

I am being assesed for asbergers on friday, it seems that I found a seperate diagnosis would be easier for dealing with official stuff. Then again, just because they feel I have enough tendencies to warrent assesment doesn't necissarily mean I have aspergers. Otherwise it would not be an assesment.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Alice wrote:I am being assesed for asbergers on friday, it seems that I found a seperate diagnosis would be easier for dealing with official stuff. Then again, just because they feel I have enough tendencies to warrent assesment doesn't necissarily mean I have aspergers. Otherwise it would not be an assesment.

That was why I had to go for an autism assessment when I was at university. It made it much easier to get the right support afterwards. I hope your assessment goes well for you and you get what you need out of it, Alice.

Of course, if only I had read my medical records beforehand I would have found out that the neurologist I saw when I was fifteen had already made the diagnosis of AS. I saw that for the first time the week before last. I asked if I could read my file because I wanted to see my psychiatric stuff, and I certainly was not expecting to find that in there. Nor was I expecting to see the results of a paediatric learning disability assessment that took place when I was five years old, apparently without my parents' consent.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby k9ruby » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:36 pm

I always find this interesting, as when I was very little I showed alot of AS traits (I would get up at 4am and draw in excess of 70 drawings :O, hang lots of stuff on string and sit and watch them swing, play alongside kids but not initiate it, have obsessions/routines etc - they provisionally diagnosed me at age 6. However, we don't agree I am aspie as such, but when I was assessed at 10, I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS. In that report I apparently failed the theory of mind test. At 17 I was diagnosed with severe dyspraxia and mild ataxic CP formally.

However, I think it does interlink a bit, and I know my consultant considers dyspraxia to be an asd. I know at primary school I had social skills training, I have always had to have routines (still do to a point), special interests and the ability to get very engrossed in things and forget to eat etc, until last year I could not speak to anyone apart from family friends and friends on the telephone easily, buy cinema tickets, use a train on my own etc.

However, I must say, since going to university and being extremely comfortable around my flatmates, it has helped grow my confidence- I can now speak to just about anyone on the telephone, order something at a restraunt and get the train- little things that I couldn't do without assistance until about 8 months ago.

I'm not sure whether its a dyspraxic trait, or whether we are just more likely to have our confidence badly knocked as we are likely to be bullied at school (I know I was quite severely).
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Rosie-posie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:49 pm

since I have met my boyfriend I feel a lot more confident socially so yes I agree with you ruby the people you hang around with can have an impact on social skills and confidence. Your uni mates sound lovely.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Fenrir » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:38 pm

I havnt been diagnosed or anything...but im thinking about talking to my parents about it and go to have a proper assessment/diagnosis. I have looked up aspergers a bit and tried an online AQ test, scored 34, which is supposed to be borderline right ?
Fenrir
Super Poster

Postby Spoon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:29 am

Hi Fenrir, those tests are not always very accurate. For example the first time I took that test a few years ago I got 36. When I took it a few years ago during a relapse of social anxiety problems I got 42. It can vary based on hwhat's going on in your life so I wouldn't use your result on that test as a reason to get tested. However, if you think that you have aspergers and a diagnosis would be of use to you, speak to your parents to try and move forwardd with it.

I have not as yet sought a diagnosis as I am not sure that I have an ASD and also as I am not sure whether a diagnosis would be much additional use to me. I intend to se a psychiatrist to discuss social anxiety and obsessive compulsive thoughts so I will bring up with them the question of whether it's possible I have an ASD and/or OCD.
Spoon
Mega Poster

Postby James Brimer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:44 am

I scored 44 :D , like you fenir, I'm gathering courage to ask my parents., I recently read Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome and i read it (in one sitting :mrgreen: ) and though that is me...
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby ALADDIN » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:35 pm

parnassus wrote:Most people with Asperger Syndrome have dyspraxia, which has led the Dyspraxia Foundation to recommend that dyspraxia should not be diagnosed in cases of AS unless it is unusually severe:

"In theory a formal diagnosis of dyspraxia should not be made if a child has a “pervasive developmental disorder” (including autism). However in reality children are sometimes given both diagnoses, especially if their motor coordination is significantly affected. Where the autism is severe this should be given as the main diagnosis."

I'm not sure about the incidence of AS in people with a primary diagnosis of dyspraxia, though. I once read an estimate from Dr Amanda Kirby in which she said that about seventy-five per cent of the dyspraxic clients they see at the Dyscovery Centre have social and communication difficulties. Having these difficulties is not necessarily the same as having AS, but it does demonstrate how the different problem areas are knitted together.

It is estimated that 50% - 90% of the people who have AS have dyspraxia.

I criticise the dyspraxia foundation because I have full dyspraxia which is fairly mild but aspergers traits which is largely based on my communication skills. Support for dyspraxia is much worse than asperger syndrome because AS is linked to autism. The National Autistic Society has much more money than the Dyspraxia Foundation. Most people with dyspraxia are neuro - diverse. If a person who has AS does not get a diagnosis of dyspraxia, the coordination element is missed.

The National Autistic Society (Prospects), the employment service know about the autistic spectrum but KNOW NOTHING ABOUT DYSPRAXIA. A substantial number of people with AS lose their jobs because of their dyspraxia. Administration is not suitable especially in the long term for dyspraxics.
ALADDIN

Postby Alice » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:41 pm

I have dyspraxia with symptoms of AS. I have not been diagnosed with either disorder because of the overlap with dyspraxia and the fact that I am very borderline. I also scored highly for ADHD, and the guy said that if I had fewer autistic symptoms I would most likely warrent a diagnosis of ADHD.

As it happens, he does not think the lack of any other diagnosis will affect my support, since they can put on your record that certain symptoms of other disorders are present, so long as you are diagnosed with one disability.

I should imagine that the dyspraxia foundation is merely pointing out that symptoms of dyspraxia can be noted without turning people into jam jars.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat