Aspergers Overlap

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: Aspergers Overlap

Postby Steph » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 pm

ALADDIN wrote:
parnassus wrote:Most people with Asperger Syndrome have dyspraxia, which has led the Dyspraxia Foundation to recommend that dyspraxia should not be diagnosed in cases of AS unless it is unusually severe:

"In theory a formal diagnosis of dyspraxia should not be made if a child has a “pervasive developmental disorder” (including autism). However in reality children are sometimes given both diagnoses, especially if their motor coordination is significantly affected. Where the autism is severe this should be given as the main diagnosis."

I'm not sure about the incidence of AS in people with a primary diagnosis of dyspraxia, though. I once read an estimate from Dr Amanda Kirby in which she said that about seventy-five per cent of the dyspraxic clients they see at the Dyscovery Centre have social and communication difficulties. Having these difficulties is not necessarily the same as having AS, but it does demonstrate how the different problem areas are knitted together.

It is estimated that 50% - 90% of the people who have AS have dyspraxia.

I criticise the dyspraxia foundation because I have full dyspraxia which is fairly mild but aspergers traits which is largely based on my communication skills. Support for dyspraxia is much worse than asperger syndrome because AS is linked to autism. The National Autistic Society has much more money than the Dyspraxia Foundation. Most people with dyspraxia are neuro - diverse. If a person who has AS does not get a diagnosis of dyspraxia, the coordination element is missed.

The National Autistic Society (Prospects), the employment service know about the autistic spectrum but KNOW NOTHING ABOUT DYSPRAXIA. A substantial number of people with AS lose their jobs because of their dyspraxia. Administration is not suitable especially in the long term for dyspraxics.

Sorry to be pedantic (it's an AS trait!) but, by definition, every person with dyspraxia is neuro diverse, unless you are using a different definition of the term, as dyspraxia itself is the result of a neuro diverse brain. I have both Aspergers Syndrome and dyspraxia although the dyspraxia is milder than the AS. Although clumsiness is very common in people with AS, it's not the case for every person. 2 of the people in my AS support group at university have brilliant coordination skills and a third person had no symptoms of dyspraxia until a car accident at the age of 17 which led to her acquiring dyspraxic symptoms due to brain injury. As for the National Autistic Society organisation, their main focus is on autism and so, although I've had no contact with them, I would assume that their main concern is with people struggling to find work due to the social and communication difficulties that come with autism. My dyspraxia caused problems when I first started at my current workplace but it is the AS that continues to have an effect as it impacts on the way I receive and pass on messages and thus has given me a reputation of being brilliant at paperwork but not much of a verbal communicator although I am a lot better than when I first started. There isn't enough support for dyspraxic adults wishing to find employment-I agree with you there completely, but I don't think it's the fault of the National Autistic Society.
Steph
Forum God !

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat