How to crack a joke...

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

How to crack a joke...

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:54 am

As my family would not doubt a shore you, I do not have a "Nromal" sense of humor, every time I attempt to teel a joke, no body laughs, is there a reason why people find things funny?, How do you crack a joke, Tell if soe one is sarcastic etc??
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Re: How to crack a joke...

Postby Steph » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:08 am

It's difficult to advise on the whole sense of humour issue as there are so many different types of humour. My stepdad, for example, loves making jokes that relate to a word or a particular story you tell him whilst others enjoy slapstick humour or comedy like Little Britain. I can still not make an original joke-my jokes are ones I have archived from Christmas crackers or something similar so they usually attract a lot of groans :lol: I used to try and make my own jokes when I was a child but they were completely literal and therefore not funny at all, eg, "Why did the smoker cough? Because he has smokers cough!" I don't seem to have the type of mind that can think up an original joke on the spot that people will actually find funny but it's never really bothered me to be honest. I do think that if you have problems with taking things literally, like I do, making your own jokes will be hard because they require you to think laterally and think "on the spot" which is hard for people with dyspraxia sometimes. I tend to make people laugh just by going about my everyday life anyway-I've never really needed jokes!

As for the sarcasm thing, I still struggle with this sometimes unless the tone of voice is heavily sarcastic. I struggle with tones of voice but some people speak in such a sarcastic, bitter tone of voice that even I can tell they are being sarcastic! It doesn't help in cases where people say something sarcastically but their voice remains the same. It can be very frustrating but a lot of people don't appreciate people being sarcastic and so will actually appreciate people who can't use sarcasm.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:26 am

I take jokes seriously and I sometimes worry if when I'm joking, people will take it seriously as well. Yesterday I sent a message to Alan Cumming thanking him for featuring me on his blog and jokingly I asked if he was stalking me. Then I said it was all right because I was stalking him as well. Maybe I should've said that? :? I have a very weird sense of humour and find things that other people wouldn't usually find funny. For example, I have this huge obsession with men getting pregnant and giving birth, and a few days ago my friend (who is a subscriber to my Youtube channel) asked me why I was favouriting all those videos etc. I just said to him, it makes me laugh and it makes me happy.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:09 pm

I find I can only be funny unintentionally. I just smile and pretend the joke was deliberate.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby James Brimer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:54 am

I can tell when other people are talking sarcasticly, just I speak in a mono-tone :( , so people switch of when I talk to them...
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat