Dyspraxia And Allergys

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Postby k9ruby » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:07 pm

:blink:

Hi all!
i thought i was going to ask you, how many people out there have dyspraxia AND allergies?
I know there is a link between AS and gluten/casin allergys, so im just intrested as both conditions in some ways a bit similar, who thinks there is a link?
ruby
(k9ruby)

<a href='http://www.freewebs.com/goingnuts' target='_blank'>My new 'going nuts!' website!</a>
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Abby » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:46 pm

Hi Ruby.
I think you might be right because I have a skin allergy to perfume and perfumed products and other dyspraxics who I've said that to have the same allergy, but it could be the gluten allergy you described aswell, I'm not sure but I think there surely must be a link ;)
Abby

Postby k9ruby » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:05 am

yep!
I AGREE AS i have a VERY serious anaphylatic nut allergy! :o
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby k9ruby » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:39 pm

ive made a poll as well! B)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby k9ruby » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:38 pm

raising...
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Philip » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:52 am

When I was younger, it was blue smarties
Philip
Splendiferous Member

Postby slinky_malinki » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:40 am

No allergies over here! :D

The idea that dyspraxia and allergies are linked suggests that DCD must have its origins in the immune system, or at least have contributing immuno-chemical factors. I don't believe it does, because it isn't a disease.

The GF/CF diet for autism, Asperger's sydrome, etc. is only a theory. It works for some people - I know the author Luke Jackson is a huge fan - but not others. If the autistic spectrum really did stem from the immune system, absolutely everyone would be able to benefit from this diet. It's possible that there are lots of different causes of dyspraxia and related conditions. Allergies may act as triggers in some people, but not in others.
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:43 pm

No allergies over here! biggrin.gif

Lucky thing!!!

*sneezes* (yes hayfever has got to me already!) :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby slinky_malinki » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:25 pm

Have no fear, Ruby, my immune system is about as strong as a Victoria sponge. I soak up any cold or virus that is going round. I spend more than my fair share of time in the boarding house sick bay, with a glowing Rudolph's nose and a racking cough!
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby smellslikesomeghost » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:18 pm

The question of allergies is interesting to me as my twins both have eczema and asthma. Ted also reacts very badly to cream but is fine with milk and cheese. And we only tried smarties the once. Wow, he was really badly affected by those blue ones. We avoid e numbers and food colourings, he knows how bad they make him feel. And with the spring grass being mowed now, that sets off asthma in Ted.
smellslikesomeghost

Postby slinky_malinki » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:35 am

Smellslikesomeghost,

Have you tried putting your sons on the Feingold diet? All the necessary information can be found at www.feingold.org, and the diet is not as difficult to implement as I first supposed. I used to be very suspicious of special diets for people with dyspraxia, but this one - along with the GF/CF option - does help some people.

There is a very good book on the subject of diet intervention and dyspraxia, called The LCP Solution: The Remarkable Nutritional Treatment for Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, and AD/HD by Dr Jacqueline Stordy. She admits that it doesn't work for everyone, but it does have a high rate of success.
slinky_malinki
Forum Master

Postby smellslikesomeghost » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:24 pm

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Funnily enough I recently bought the "LCP soloution" but haven't read it yet. I will check out the Feingold diet.
smellslikesomeghost

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:16 pm

Yeah, I have a dust/mold allergy!

Shanna ;) :ph34r:
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat