Stroking people's faces

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Stroking people's faces

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:15 pm

I don't know what it is, I just have to do it - especially to my friends. I like the feel of touching my friend's stubble and I can't enough of it. The more I like my friends, the more I do it. I'm aware they don't like it and they're constantly telling me to stop (and quite firmly) but it makes me want to do it more. I understand that this is an invasion of privacy and that I wouldn't like it if they did it to me, but there's something about touching someone else's face that I'm addicted to.

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't just Beth being Beth, is it something to do with dyspraxia?

Sorry to open another thread but I thought this one should be on its own.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Stroking people's faces

Postby Rosie-posie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Phew glad its not just me, i do it to my boyfriend all the time, i like touching peoples cheeks and for some bizzare reason the smell of peoples cheeks.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:11 pm

I don't have it with faces but I have to restrain myself from stroking peoples shirts and ties as I love the feel of them in my fingers. When I met the old headmaster of my secondary school for the first time, at the age of 10, I started stroking his tie and nuzzling it against my cheek. This led to a teacher commenting that she didn't feel mainstream education was the best option for me.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:12 pm

For the same reasons, I love hugs with men wearing smart shirts as long as they're men I know and trust anyway.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:29 pm

It is a dyspraxic thing, but you should try to stop, because it's not like hand-flapping or twitching or whatever, it actually affects other people. Maybe have a piece of fabric you can stroke.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Rosie-posie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:44 pm

my boyfriend doesnt mind me doing this hed happily cuddle me all day every day. I dont do it to randomers or anything.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Being fascinated with certain textures and feeling a compulsion to stroke them can be a part of dyspraxia, although it is more commonly associated with autism. I feel very drawn to silk, velvet, and cold marble. The custodian of the English Faculty at Cambridge once stopped to question me ("What are you doing?!") because I was nuzzling my face against the noticeboard. I know I must have looked very odd, but I couldn't help myself - it had a velvety feel and if I see velvet I have to touch it.

A much more embarrassing incident occurred at a concert when I was ten years old. I had been asked to give a reading, but during the rehearsal I got distracted by the marble pillars and stopped to embrace one of them on my way to the lectern. I didn't know it was strange to do things like that then. I almost had my reading duties taken away from me by the teacher. I dissolved into tears, because I was very proud of having been asked to read.

A similar incident happened with the filing cabinet in the music classroom when I was twelve. I used to love pressing my face against it and wrapping my arms round the sides. I would do this almost without thinking as soon as I came into the room. The teacher would get very sharp: "Victoria, stop that!" It was more than being sharp - I got the feeling that he was very nonplussed, almost disgusted by me. Unfortunately I didn't know how to stop.

Like Steph, I also have a tendency to fixate on the texture of people's clothes. I can refrain from touching them, as I don't like being in close proximity to people, but I will often blurt out things like, "Please take your jacket off. I want to stroke the sleeve." Again, this is pretty much involuntary. Sometimes I can choke back the words before I say them, but often I can't.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Rosie-posie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Im the opposite with silk I hate the texture of it.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:14 am

I like nuzzling up to things, though I have learnt to restrain my self in public places. Glad to see its not just me who feels the almost irresistible pull to smooth soft textures of velvit, leather (smooth) and other textures like that.
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby abi » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:16 am

i wont go as far as compelled to stroke things or rub my face against them, but i always carry a label taken out of old clothes to rub if i feel like it. i was in hospital, when i fell in the dicth ad screwed my wrist, i had asked one of my friends to come with me cos i dont trust people easily, and dont like being touched, so you migh know how stressful it can be in those places, and i had a brand new label, i was rubbing it so fast that i took all the print off it in about 10 minutes, he was looking at me really strangley when i did that.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby wm1995 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:06 pm

I love the feeling of strings of pearls in my hands and on my face, because they are cold and for some other indescribable reason. I also like cashmere. However, I don't like warm pearls, so I can resist touching these, and I can't tell apart different types of fabric until I touch them, so I don't touch people's cashmere clothing. I am also very shy.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:25 pm

I AM SO GLAD THAT IT'S NOT JUST ME!

I've shown this thread to my mum and thinks I should have something to stroke whenever I get the urge to touch someone's face. But I like hair, especially if it's messy and tangled and greasy. How can I carry around a bunch of hair?
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:49 pm

I get the urge to rub labels I see sticking out regardless of if they are attatched to a person.

It helps if I have a label in my pocket or on a part of my clothes were pepole won't notice me rubbing it, then when I get the urge to rub a label I rub that. I generaly have to cut labels out of my clothes, especially skirts that are knee lenght or shorter.

I often get an almost uncontrolable urge to touch objects I shouldn't. With pepole it's generaly limited to an impulse to hug them, even though I tend to be uncomfortable with huggs.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:24 pm

I love hugs too :lol:

MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Rosie-posie » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:47 pm

me too but thankfully my boyfriend is the same
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Next

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat