Walking on Tip Toes.

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Walking on Tip Toes.

Postby HairyLemon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:46 am

I always seem to do this when i'm walking round the house. I don't realise i'm doing it until someone points it out. My family think i'm just doing it to make myself taller and they tell me that i'm going to shorten my calf muscles. Does anyone else do this or is it just me?
Imagination is more important than knowledge
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Re: Walking on Tip Toes.

Postby abi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:23 pm

im the oppesite, i cant walk on tiptoes.
if you only do it round the house, does that mean only when your barefoot, changing shoes might help if its bothering you.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby MontyDyspraxia » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:24 pm

I've done this ever since before I could remember. I've had loads of treatment for it, physio, splits, insoles, exercises etc. But none of it seems to work.
"When we kiss, it feels like a flying saucer landing" ~ Strange Powers by The Magnetic Fields

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BethGoth15?feature=mhee
Check it out, I dare ya ;)
MontyDyspraxia
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:17 pm

My calfs have shortend because of it. By the time my parents realised it was not a phase it was very difficult to do anything. I wear heavy flat shoes allot for balance reasons though and I think they are gradually helping.

Ski boots are murder.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:19 pm

I've never walked on tiptoes but I do have an odd gait.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:43 pm

When I was fifteen I saw a neurologist for an assessment. She asked a lot of questions about my early motor skills development, and my parents told her that I had always walked on my tipoes and still did to a large extent. She wrote in a letter to my GP: "It is interesting that she was a toe-walker as this is associated with the social developmental disability spectrum. I would like to know more about her language and social development in the preschool years." In my assessment report from the Cambridge Autism Research Centre, the psychiatrist there has written about my toe-walking in his summary of my developmental history, calling it 'a very autistic trait'. So yes, it's common amongst people with ASDs and related conditions.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Dizzy D » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:33 pm

I do this all the time at home (both of them) also I do it at my bff's house you can tell when I feel comfortable some where because I do this, I also do it going up & down stears, hence why I always fall down them
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby johnbergqvist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:18 pm

YEah aparently I did it constantly as soon as i could walk, so i was given special boots to physically weigh my feet down to stop me doing it, I've gradually done it less over the years, to the extent where i rarely do it at all now.
johnbergqvist
Power Poster

Postby Snork_Maiden » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:35 pm

I do this! I was told it was probably something to do with my flat feet...
Snork_Maiden

Postby evilmuffet » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Okay I'm officially stunned now, never imagined dypraxia had anything to do with walking on your tip toes. My parents always complain about walking like that around the house and said I was mentally retarded for it. :cry:
Any suggestions on how to get out of that habit?
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat