What do my WAIS scores mean?

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

What do my WAIS scores mean?

Postby Snork_Maiden » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:36 am

Hello everyone. I'm new here. :D Technically not a teenager any more (20), but you seemed like a friendly bunch so I hope you don't mind me turning up! I was diagnosed through university and got my educational psychologist report back today and I'm a little unsure of what to make of my WAIS III test scores. They are as follows:

Vocabulary 19
Similarities 18
Information 15
Comprehension 17

Block Design 17
Matrix Reasoning 16
Picture Arrangement 12
Picture Completion 9

Letter-Number Sequencing 17
Digit Span 15
Arithmetic 14

Symbol Search 10
Digit-Symbol Coding 8

Overall:
Verbal Comprehension 145
Perceptual Organisation 125
Working Memory 133
Processing Speed 93

Is this a typically dyspraxic profile? I know the psychologist was a little surprised by my working memory scores considering the extent of memory problems I had reported, but when I told her about the visualisation techniques I was using to remember them she said it was no wonder I had 'cheated' the test. :lol: Regarding my low scores, how do they link up with the everyday things I find difficult? My current university course is chemistry... Do these scores mean I would have done better at English?? Is the slow processing speed purely visual or does this affect all areas of processing? So confused... Oh and my writing speed is at the tenth percentile apparently. :lol:
Snork_Maiden

Re: What do my WAIS scores mean?

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:20 pm

I don't know if you'd have done better at English. It is important to do what interests you - you will find it easier to study stuff you are interested in. Also, science courses tend to be more structure, which a lot of dyspraxics find helpful.

I *think* the test only measures visual processing, but that many dyspraxics have major problems with other kinds of processing, too.

By the way, you have a great screen-name.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Snork_Maiden » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:51 pm

I love my course, and my marks, although variable, are mostly good. I went to see a counsellor a few months ago to talk over whether or not to go for this assessment and one of the things she said to me was that highly intelligent people who have a learning disability can often talk themselves through things that they are naturally weak at and give the false appearance that they are doing really well. Maybe I took it the wrong way, I'm not quite sure what she meant, but I guess I'm scared that maybe the reason my dyspraxia has only showed up now rather than earlier is because I'm reaching the limit of my compensatory abilities and soon I'm going to fall flat on my face...

My screen name is from The Moomins. :D One of my many obsessions. Which I've recently found out is a feature of dyspraxia. So many of my strange quirks now have a unifying explanation!
Snork_Maiden

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:31 am

Falling flat on your face (literally) is an inevitable part of dyspraxia, but with enough support, you won't fall flat on your face in a furgurative sense.

I knew it was from the Moomins. :)
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat