Slow movments

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Slow movments

Postby James Brimer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Today I was helping biuld a viking longship for my local carnival, and as I was helping move some wooden paltes around the work place, my friends got very inpatient when we were moveing it, repeating what they had siad four times, which get really anoying becuase my body just wouldn't move as fast as it ussaly does, (which is slow, though I am more psacial awarness.
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Re: Slow movments

Postby k9ruby » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:15 pm

I have been told that I move slowely. I know my body slows down when I have to process more than 1 instruction at a time, making it look as though I have no sense of urgency, but the reality is my brain gets overloaded with more than one thing going on at a time. Saying stuff like "Hurry up" is basically the worst thing that you can do, because that is another thing to add to the list of stuff my brain has to process. :shock:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:55 pm

*hugs* Did the other people there know that you are dyspraxic?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Steph » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:32 pm

My mum is always saying to me, "You need a stick of dynamite up your backside!" The thing is I am not deliberately slow-to me, the speed I move at is normal but apparently to other people, it's very slow and very frustrating. It was a real issue when I first started the job I'm in now-part of my work is to do domestic cleaning duties and, back then, it took me 40 minutes to hoover a hallway, lounge, lobby and 2 bedroom corridors-it doesn't help that I find hoovers so difficult to move even with wheels-they still fall over! My manager raised it at my one month appraisal and was concerned that I would not be able to keep my job working at that speed. Luckily I am a bit quicker now.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby abi » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:23 pm

it takes me forever to do anything, i am always in trouble with my parents for it. i get really upset because i cant go any faster without hurting myselfm and i get punished
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm quite slow in general as well. I just like to go at my own pace, I'm much better when I can.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby James Brimer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:17 pm

They do not no I am Dyspraxic, (Though my friends dad does, but he is one of those anoying people who goes "I don't think you speak in a monotone" when all other people whith whom I am aquantied say I do... :? , The other family one is anoying (lazy but tells other people to hurry up, and self centred) and probably would call it an excuse, i am also wary about telling people I am Dyspraxic
James Brimer
Forum Master

Location: 4 dimensions, The Universe, Galaxy: Milky Way, Earth, U.K.

Postby parnassus » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:50 pm

I move very slowly as well. There is always a slight gap between me telling my arm to reach for something and my arm actually doing it. When I moved house it took me nearly an hour to fill one bookcase, as bending over, picking up books, and shelving them is quite a complex action for me, requiring a lot of physical and mental effort. My parents came over to help and filled the remaining three bookcases in a quarter of that time. And this was something that I felt confident that I could do by myself - if we're talking about an action where I really do struggle, such as cooking or putting breakable items away, I have to deliberately slow myself down even further to reduce the chances of making a mistake.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:44 pm

My Mum often complains at how slow I am to do anything, most pepole accept that I do things at my own pace. I have a very slow processing speed, and I have to move slowly too because I'm clumsy and also because I get easily tired when life happens fast.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat