dyspraxic cooking guide

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Re: dyspraxic cooking guide

Postby Steph » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:06 pm

I think a big reason why I still can't cook is because of my family. Today my brother was cooking spaghetti carbonara and asked for someone to split the yolks and whites of 2 eggs into separate bowls. I offered and he said, "No, let ***** (my sister) do it! Do it, *****!" It's clear that they don't trust me to be able to do anything in the kitchen. It's frustrating because they are always complaining about me being unable to do things yet they won't let me try to do them. I think it's a confidence issue with me.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby award » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:07 pm

hi all , i can cook only a few things (spaghetti bolanaze , anything with pasta , lasagne, toast , eggs , sponge cake] would love to learn new dishes as its good to be more independent [ thats what i am trying to do atm]. with me its trial and error if i get it wrong try again.

videos would be a good idea [dyspraxic tips on youtube]

adam
-------------------------------------
Adam
award
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:19 pm

Steph wrote:Everyone can cook so much more than me :( It makes me feel ashamed as I am older than most of you in this thread :( I can cook spaghetti bolognaise, spaghetti with meatballs and scrambled eggs. I keep trying omelettes but they always go wrong. I would like to learn how to cook a lot more-I think this is a brilliant idea for a thread.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Rosie-posie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:40 pm

Steph have you explained this to your family that the only way you will get better at cooking and gain confidence is to pratice at it?
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby Steph » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Esther,
Please don't worry-I wasn't aiming my comment at anyone in particular-I was kind of reminding myself that I need to learn fast, that's all. I'm sorry if I panicked you.

Rosie,
I have tried that but they always seem too busy to supervise me. My stepdad does most of the cooking at home and he gets very possessive over the kitchen and doesn't like other people working with his ingredients-he's a bit of a Gordon Ramsay type really. I will try asking again though.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:58 pm

Great idea for a thread. You guys are brilliant! :D How do you guys know how to cook all that stuff? Steph, don't feel bad, you cannot be as worse as me. The only thing I know how to cook is Chicken Tikka Masala and that only because I've seen it done like a million times. I'm so bad I've messed up Pot Noodles before, I'm that bad! :lol:
Remus
Site Admin

Postby wm1995 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:47 pm

I was so happy on the sailing trip that I managed to cook Pasta with Pesto and Chicken on the small stove that they had for nine people :) It was the first time I'd cooked chicken. This thread is definitely a good idea. I found a good cookbook called "How To Cheat At Cooking" or something similar, and the instructions were simple and easy to follow. It annoys me when my mother is there to 'supervise' my cooking, which I don't mind, but when I ask her advice she takes over.
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Postby whizz pop bang » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:40 am

hey guys great to see that you are all so interested in this thread well im finally getting round to doing the vids just havent had the time at the moment but i promise i will start doing them eithe rthis week or next week so i should start getting vids up in the next couple of weeks.

cheers

whizz 8)
to sleep, no more and by sleep we say end the heartache- hamlet
whizz pop bang
Advanced Member

Postby Alice » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:02 pm

My brother wants me to compile a series of recipies for him ranging from lazy too not technically difficult but rather impresive for reasons of time/faulty perceptions. I'm going to design some recipies and put them on my blog so you guys can use them too, at present I'm thinking of a rating sysem so that there usability is imediately obvious. I'm also wanting them to cover a range of skills so that people can learn from them and move on to other stuff, as well as having some fiddlier stuff on there just because.

If anyone needs a recipie they can't find (whether it be something unspecified to fit a particular perpous, or a nicer/easier version of a particular dish), I'd love to hear about it so I can put it on. I'll probably still be slow updating because I'm forgetful like that.

At least I'll have something to put on the damn thing now...
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Right, I need to start taking pictures because I have a few recipies and I'm going to start posting them.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dizzy D » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:45 pm

I always cook with my mum, well more bake, but we do make pasta If I can I'll write down (or rather type up) the recopy. I do FT at school to. I'm making risotto on Tuesday.
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby Alice » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Dizzy D wrote:I always cook with my mum, well more bake, but we do make pasta If I can I'll write down (or rather type up) the recopy. I do FT at school to. I'm making risotto on Tuesday.

Yum. Risotto is extra good as my bf never seems to notice the onions and peppers in it (I'm gradually increacing the amounts). I'm terible when making it for vegans though, I always get sidetracked and use butter before I've even thought about replacing the chicken stock and pamasan.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dizzy D » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:17 pm

replacing the chicken stock
Im a vegiterian and the veg stock cubes are actually quite nice :P
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby Alice » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Dizzy D wrote:
replacing the chicken stock
Im a vegiterian and the veg stock cubes are actually quite nice :P

Oh, I have vegetable stock (not cubes though, it's a tub of powder), and ginger tea is good in rissotto, it's a case of remembering when it's something I don't normaly think about.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby 07williamsdj » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:58 pm

I have made pizza from scratch and rock cakes
07williamsdj

Previous

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat