Not being aware of your physical mannerisms

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Not being aware of your physical mannerisms

Postby Steph » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:19 pm

Is anyone else almost totally unaware of their physical mannerisms and how they come across to people? I was walking back to my boyfriends room just now when a friend of mine from my unit at work who also lives in the staff hostel called my name. I turned round and he said, "What was that?" I said, "What was what?" and he said, "Do you honestly not know what you just did?" I said that I had been walking normally and he said, "Do you want me to show you what I just saw then?" I said "Yes" and he imitated me walking and sped up and raised his arm up and then down really quickly, almost smacking into a door. I told him that was not how I walked and he swore to me that that was what he'd seen. Then I remembered that I did have a sudden surge of energy just before he had called my name so that probably was what I had done. I am aware of these surges of energy but am totally unaware of what my body is doing at that time. People used to mock the way I walked at school and I could never see the resemblance but, looking back, I did used to suddenly speed up and run in a very uncoordinated fashion and then go back to a normal walking speed. This work friend of mine does know I'm autistic and dyspraxic but had never seen me do that sort of action before. Is it a dyspraxic thing? I am not concerned about it at all-I was just wondering if anyone else shares that with me at all.
Steph
Forum God !

Re: Not being aware of your physical mannerisms

Postby Alice » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:57 pm

This sounds very much like me. When walking I will sudenly break into a run or clap my hands together enegetically, especially when concentrating on other things. I am more aware of it than I used to be, but I still find it nearly impossible to avoid doing.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Rosie-posie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 pm

I find this especially if I have something on my mind that I am excited about.
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby evilmuffet » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:49 pm

That kinda sounds cute and funny, suddenly feeling happy for some strange reason and getting a burst of energy where you'd break into a skip or something or other. I think I do from time to time, mostly when I wear a comfortable warm GAP hoodie. :lol:
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Postby whizz pop bang » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:25 pm

i do things that i dont realise im doing, the best thing i do is i drum my tummy when im happy lol i dont know why i do it another thing i do is constantly bounce my legs up and down which really annoy my parents its just something i do
to sleep, no more and by sleep we say end the heartache- hamlet
whizz pop bang
Advanced Member

Postby Dizzy D » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:59 pm

my mum ses she hasn't ever seen me randomly run but I do clap my hands when I get exited
Being dyspraxic dosen't make life hard, it makes it interesting
Dizzy D
Forum Master

Postby k9ruby » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:57 pm

I do this ALL the time- my boyfriend is always giggling about it!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat