Help For Beginners

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Help For Beginners

Postby Max Meads » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:03 pm

I've been a dyspraxic since i was 7, so i'm here to give some advice for the newly- di agnosed. :mrgreen:
Max Meads

Re: Help For Beginners

Postby Alice » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:16 pm

I've been dyspraxic since I was born.

I wasn't diagnosed until late primary school however...
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby LadyAnna » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:17 pm

I have had dyspraxia since i was eight.My problems mainly surrounded maths, it was not until further assessments and pe lessons that the teachers realised that there was major problems with my coordination. Speech has never really been a problem. Fantastically though over the years my abilities have majorly improved and i now have 5 GCSE's including math and science. I will say time and time again what helped me the most was the 6 Eye q tablets that i took once a day. I have went from not being able to count to 30 to gaining a math gcse. My co ordination has much improved and i am able to take part in badminton successfully now.Best of luck for the future xxxxx
LadyAnna

Postby parnassus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:31 pm

LadyAnna, do you mean that you became dyspraxic when you were eight, or that you were diagnosed at the age of eight?

Some people do become dyspraxic because of a serious head injury or something like that, but the majority of us are born with it. I know that we've got one or two people here with acquired dyspraxia, and I'm always curious to hear more from the people who didn't have it from birth, especially if they can remember the time when they weren't disabled. If you did mean that you acquired dyspraxia at the age of eight, I think it would be really useful if you could write a post about how you came to terms with it and perhaps write something in response to Hazel's latest thread ("Are dyspraxia and related conditions who we are?"). It would be an interesting perspective to have.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby JamesStanley » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:50 pm

I've had Dyspraxia since i was born and was diagnosed when i was 6
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby LadyAnna » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Parnassus - i think thats how you spell it !!

I have suffered from dyspraxia all of my life it just became highly apparent when i was eight because i was experiencing panic attacks during maths and pe. Although as the knowledge of the condition became apparant to us, my mother recognised somethings such as crawling then walking on the same day, when i was little. Which apparently happens to some dyspraxic people. :P
LadyAnna

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat