Restraint in Posting

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Restraint in Posting

Postby wm1995 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Does anyone ever feel difficulty in posting a reply? Sometimes I worry about saying the wrong thing and offending someone, or that it is not my place to comment on this and other forums. Does anyone else feel a similar way?
wm1995
Splendiferous Member

Re: Restraint in Posting

Postby Fenrir » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:48 pm

All the time lol :P On most forums...i might sometimes write whole paragraphs as a reply, then decide against posting.
Fenrir
Super Poster

Postby Remus » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:24 am

For me personally, not really. I have got used to posting in a lot of forums over the years and I find I come across quite confident on the net compared to my real self. I'm far more concerned about offend someone in real life but I have had my fair share of arguments on the net. I just think we live in a world full of opinions and you are going to offend someone at some point whether in reality or on the net so don't let it bother you too much.

The only times I have ever felt uncomfortable on forums is when I have had a nasty runs in with another member. That is not a nice feeling at all.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby abi » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:06 pm

i often edit my reply so i dont offend people, for example with regards to religion, i dont want to force my religion onto others, especailly as i dont follow one of the major religions. its kind of like if i was in the dituation of the person im replying to, would i be offended? if i cant put myself in thier postion i will ask a friend.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:18 pm

On this forum, I feel pepole know me well enough to forgive unintentional mishaps regarding wording and whatnot.

Mind you, we're a friendly bunch, so I think even if I wasn't known I'd get the benifit of the doubt. The difference is that I know this place well enough to know that...
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:10 pm

I've been on DT for as long as there's been a DT to be on, so I think people have got used to my bluntness now and are used to forgiving me if needed. Also, dyspraxia usually does cause social and communication difficulties, and there are often secondary emotional problems too. Everybody here knows that, so we are able to make allowances for each other when problems do occur - which is rarely. I've been part of three or four other forums apart from Dyspraxic Teens, and I'm always surprised by the difference between the places. DT is a forum for people with a disability that can cause problems with social skills, and we have hardly any arguments or upsets. Other forums seem to reach combustion point at least once a week. I hardly dare to tread in some of them in case I set off a bomb.

Sometimes I do worry about upsetting people (everywhere, not just on DT), but I try hard not to let those thoughts dominate my mind - if I let myself go on thinking about that I would be just like I was in Year 7. It was after my transition to secondary school (not a coincidence) that I started to get paranoid about causing hurt, and that paranoia took me many years to shake off. I don't want to go back to that.

As for it not being your place to comment on this forum, it's just as much yours as anyone else's. I've always found your posts worth reading, even if you don't say much. I hope you're able to become more confident online, even if it takes a while. Try and be patient with yourself. It's good that you've posted this thread - now if you do want to go ahead and make a controversial speech, we will know about your worries and you won't be eaten for breakfast.

You can be saved for supper instead. :P
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Henri » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:13 pm

I think that this essentially a confidence issue. Whilst it is good to be aware of what you are doing and saying, it is best not to be preoccupied with other people's judgements and opinions. The people you are speaking to here happen to be very accommodating, but even if this is not the case, you should still express yourself when you think it is right to do so. In many other periods of history, people did not have the luxury of expressing their thoughts and opinions, and were even persecuted for it. You have the right to say virtually whatever it is that you want, and also to speak with people from around the world, all of whom have a tremendous diversity of opinion! It is certainly something to be very grateful for and to make maximum use of.

They key really is to say and do what you think is right, regardless of other people's opinions. If you focus on doing the right thing, you can take pleasure in that; knowing this makes negativity on the part of those around you as miniscule as the pixels on your screen.
Feel free to contact me about anything on hrapson@gmail.com
Henri
Forum Master

Postby JamesStanley » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:22 pm

Online i find that i am a completley different person and dont worry as much on what i post espically here i feel that i can express myself and talk about what is on my mind.
JamesStanley
Site Admin

Postby Super Nekou » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Pretty much all the time. I've gotten over the majority of it, but it's mostly tight-knit communities where I feel I dont belong that I avoid posting. Overly large communities also. I struggle to settle into a forum these days and often disappear at random.
The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.
Tumblr
Super Nekou
Forum Master

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat