Problems with being diagnosed

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

Problems with being diagnosed

Postby evilmuffet » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:50 am

I guess I could start from the beginning, one of my sisters friends had dypraxia and was taken out of the school to be tutored and my mum asked questions and she said I've got it after learning about it. She tried having me examined by the school but the special needs department only tested me to see if I was fit enough to do my GCSE exams. My parents were annoyed they didn't diagnose me and said they the schools let me down for never picking up anything. Now the special needs in school says I'm no longer they're problem from what I can gather because I've already done my GCSE'S and I'm over 16.
I went to my GP too and he ended up sending me to mental health instead. I've already given up on the idea of being diagnosed, secretly I'd rather not know if I had something wrong with me or I'll get depressed that it's something I can't change about myself. My mum is really determined to find out though and it's making me sad that she's been getting stressed over me and everyone is making her go everywhere.
Is there anyway I can get diagnosed for something like dypraxia? It would be a real big help if it were possible, since my GP and school don't really want to do anything.
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Re: Problems with being diagnosed

Postby abi » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:07 pm

bibic can do assessments, but i dont think they are suitable for exam provisions, so if you are past your exams, they might be a good place to start.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Re: Problems with being diagnosed

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:24 pm

*hugs*

It may not have been a mistake to refer you to mental health. Mental health people could refer you to a clinical psychiatrist, who could diagnose you.

You can't cure dyspraxia, but you can learn to manage it better.

Your school has treated you appallingly. I'm so sorry for your situation.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat