What is the difference between cerebral palsy and dyspraxia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

What is the difference between cerebral palsy and dyspraxia

Postby carebear15 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:53 pm

I like to know.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: What is the difference between cerebral palsy and dyspraxia

Postby Steph » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:20 pm

http://www.scope.org.uk/help-and-inform ... bral-palsy

There are a lot of students where I work with cerebral palsy. In general, it's a lot more physically obvious than dyspraxia although that ranges depending on severity. There are 2 staff members at my workplace that have cerebral palsy and both of them have associated hemiplegia (one sided weakness) which makes them have a noticeable limp and impairs their use of the affected arm. Most of the people I know with cerebral palsy acquired it through a lack of oxygen during birth. Unlike dyspraxia, cerebral palsy itself only causes physical difficulties although some people with cerebral palsy also have some degree of learning disability, like the students at my place. It all depends on how it was acquired and what areas of the brain were damaged.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby k9ruby » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:04 pm

I have mild ataxic cerebal palsy as well as severe dyspraxia. Contrary to popular belief it is possible to be diagnosed with the two.

The ataxic cerebal palsy gives the impression I am slightly drunk all the time, and there are certain sequences of movements I have to learn every time otherwise it gives the impression that I am intoxicated. The best example is when I use a door key. I can use my uni halls and house key now (after 3months of learning how to sequence the movement), but if I was to do that to something unfamilar my hand would probably stab at around where the key hole was without really getting anywhere.

When I walk or climb stairs is another example. Around the house I am less likely to trip because it is familar and I can use stairs by placing my feet on a stair each. However, if I was to go somewhere I didnt know and my legs didnt 'know' the sequence, say on an unfamilar set of stairs, I take much longer and apparently use two feet on each step..

The dyspraxia is everything else :D
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Rosie-posie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:18 pm

I do that with both the key and the steps thing but only have the dyspraxia diagnosis,
Rosie-posie
Mega Poster

Postby carebear15 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:57 pm

i fit the ataxia cerbral palsy and it is un noticable and it went detected for this long wow.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat