How not to explain your dyspraxia

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

How not to explain your dyspraxia

Postby Creative » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:22 pm

This morning I remembered being put on the spot and being asked by a boyfriend about what dyspraxia was and I said it meant that I wasn't any good at art! Honestly, how many people would say that they were not good at art and aren't dyspraxic! This was in the days before I knew about DT and understood my dyspraxia!
Creative
Forum God !

Re: How not to explain your dyspraxia

Postby Alice » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:34 pm

I've been known to print off my report and hand it to someone if they keep asking about it or getting confused. Generaly I just tell them I have poor fine motor, and gross motor skills, a bad memory, problems with body lanugage, a short attention span and a tendency to be easily overwhelmed.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby abi » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:15 pm

i have like a dat sheet i can give out. and firends who understand and can help.
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Postby evilmuffet » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 am

Yeah when people put you on the spot and ask you questions it's hard to say to tell them things.xD
Admittedly it's hard for dyspraxics to be good at things like Art and English...especially balance skills. I've been trying on those things for years and years and it makes me jealous normal people could do it so much easier, it's no fair. :(
Well you've probably corrected it up to your boyfriend by now and he understands it too hopefully. Probably the best thing to say when people ask about dyspraxia is that you're wired up differently. 8)
I love you piggy!
evilmuffet
Advanced Member

Postby AndrewCook95 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Whenever people ask me I just say that I have coordination issues, I don't over complicate matters
AndrewCook95
Forum Master

Postby wadey » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:38 pm

for thoes who know i got dyspraxia and when they ask me to explain it I normal just send them this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNbPf2Z_lTY
wadey
Site Admin

Postby DyspraxiaNoMore » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:50 pm

wadey wrote:for thoes who know i got dyspraxia and when they ask me to explain it I normal just send them this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNbPf2Z_lTY

That's an interesting video poem you posted, Wadey. I found some interesting related videos in the mix too!

Trying to describe dyspraxia to normal people is like trying to explain the "birds and the bees" to children. It isn't impossible, but it's hard to make them understand!!! The best way (for me, at least) to describe my condition is to simply tell them that I have motor skill problems (mental and physical). It's probably the most VAGUE way to describe it, but I think people are, for the most part, understanding when you describe it in that manner.
Victoria
If you have a physical disorder like dyspraxia, a medical alarm is definitely advisable!
DyspraxiaNoMore

Postby missteacup » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:06 pm

If it's going to be the start of a conversation, I'll go into it a lot, explaining what it can be, what it is for me, and what it means practically.

If it's just been asked in passing - "Oh, what's that?" - I'll usually explain it as "a problem with organising my body and mind." Seems to work for me :)
missteacup

Return to General Dyspraxia Chat