change

Chat with others about dyspraxia and share your experiences.

change

Postby abi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:23 am

is it normal for the symptoms of dyspraxia to change over time, my clumsyness and lack of seperation is imporving, with lots of hard work, but my sensory problems seen to be getting worse, for example, i used to let people hug me, and although i diddent really like it, seeing how happy it made my parents, made me put up with it, but now if anyone touches me it feels like sandpaper, yet it still tickes/burns. this all started to get worse at aroud 11 or 12 years old, so im thinking it might have a link to the severe bullying at ssecondary school. where as some difficulties are only just begining to show, for example, im beggining to make friends, so my social difficulties are really becoming obvious.

what i really want to know is, is it possible for dyspraxia to get worse over time, or is it just that emotional difficulties make it more obvious to me?
the way i see it, dyspraxia is an extra hurdle in every race i run, but that extra hurdle, is just extra exercise, so in the end, i will come through stronger.
abi
Mega Poster

Re: change

Postby Steph » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:58 am

Dyspraxia is not degenerative so it's not possible for it to literally get worse over time but anxiety, stress and life changes can all make different symptoms of dyspraxia more obvious.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:42 am

Stress and tiredness etc can make the symptoms appear worse but as Steph said, it is not degenerative, if anything, I think it gets better with time and practice.

I was really clumsy as a child, smashing and spill things but these days after years of improving and practice, I find my physical symptoms are not that apparent these days (although I did trip over a scooter today :P), it's more a case of dealing with the mental issues such as memory loss, taking orders etc. Although my Dyspraxia is acquired so it is a bit of different ball game.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Yes, stress can make things much worse.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Debbie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:42 pm

bein sleepy can make it worse too
i tend to trip over stuff when im sleepy hehe :D
Debbie